Cell Phones

Best phone for $300 or less? (August 2021)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2021 5:25 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 17, 2018
345 posts
217 upvotes

Best phone for $300 or less? (August 2021)

Any suggestions?

Looking at the Pixel 2 XL 128gb from bhp or the Moto G stylus.
16 replies
Feb 5, 2019
44 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Under $300 is a tough price point. The best phones perform well, but performance, build quality, and frequency of software updates drop quickly on worse phones.

The Moto G phones are good mid-range performers. The Pixel 2 is past its official support date, meaning there are no more security updates. Motorola promises one year of software upgrades and two years of security updates, so you're a bit better covered there. The Moto G Stylus is one of the most well-balanced of the G series. It was released in 2020, so you'll get at least another year of security updates.

Avoid sub-$300 LG phones, they've never been very good. Samsung Galaxy A series smartphones were terrible, but since the release of the Ax1 series (A11, A21, A51, A71) they weren't half-bad.

-Stephen R Clark-
WhistleOut Canada
whistleout.ca
[OP]
Jan 17, 2018
345 posts
217 upvotes
drcujo wrote: A32 5G
I was thinking about the a32 5g but the reviews say the screen is pretty bad. TFT 720p.

Not sure if i'd notice it though. Maybe I'll find one on display in store to check out in person.
Apr 25, 2019
896 posts
1538 upvotes
YXE, Sask.
CaptainD wrote: I was thinking about the a32 5g but the reviews say the screen is pretty bad. TFT 720p.

Not sure if i'd notice it though. Maybe I'll find one on display in store to check out in person.
How about the Nokia 3.4? It's a good phone. $239 at Costco.
https://www.costco.ca/nokia-3.4-64-gb-u ... 90949.html
Also, if you are willing to stretch another $20 over your budget, you can get the OnePlus Nord N200 5G for $319 CAD.
Has a 1080p 90 Hz display.
https://www.oneplus.com/ca_en/oneplus-n200-5g
Koodo BF 2022 $30 20 GB ($25 for first 5 months!)
Samsung Galaxy A53 owner.
Apr 23, 2016
136 posts
47 upvotes
Montr
Poco X3 pro from AliExpress seems like a decent deal at 229 usd (no tax on there but 1 month shipping if you can afford to wait)... What are your thoughts on it my current phone screen is cracked Thinking Face
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6830 posts
540 upvotes
GT'eh
if you have a kodoo account can get S20 FE 5G for less than $300 on 2 yr tab ab otherwise its around $600 off contract
Ne0's Bio:
➡Retired [email protected] & t3<h [0nn0!ss3ur ??? Spitting t3<hy lingo since the early 90's ➡Member of Crazy Group Buys ??? ➡ Feedback: eBay|1000+ ??? rFD | 300+
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21026 posts
10533 upvotes
Oakville
LMM552 wrote: Poco X3 pro from AliExpress seems like a decent deal at 229 usd (no tax on there but 1 month shipping if you can afford to wait)... What are your thoughts on it my current phone screen is cracked Thinking Face
Poco X3 is a decent phone, I believe some people in another thread said they had it and liked it. But bear in mind that you've got effectively zero warranty when buying from AliExpress sellers (if they offer warranty at all, it's usually a "pay to ship it back to China" warranty which ends up being insanely expensive because if you don't send it with insurance and tracking, they'll just say it never showed up and then you're totally screwed. Doesn't matter to some people, but it's certainly worth keeping in mind.
Apr 23, 2016
136 posts
47 upvotes
Montr
wearysky wrote: Poco X3 is a decent phone, I believe some people in another thread said they had it and liked it. But bear in mind that you've got effectively zero warranty when buying from AliExpress sellers (if they offer warranty at all, it's usually a "pay to ship it back to China" warranty which ends up being insanely expensive because if you don't send it with insurance and tracking, they'll just say it never showed up and then you're totally screwed. Doesn't matter to some people, but it's certainly worth keeping in mind.
Bought many phones on AliExpress and they all turned out working fine... Even once they refund since I didn't get my phone for two months and then I received it!
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21026 posts
10533 upvotes
Oakville
LMM552 wrote: Bought many phones on AliExpress and they all turned out working fine... Even once they refund since I didn't get my phone for two months and then I received it!
Yeah, AliExpress' shipping guarantees are (usually) fine. It's the return policies with individual sellers that are the problem. And yes, most of the time phones are fine at least during what would normally be the warranty period (the first year or so). It's only when you have problems that it's an issue, which is why I said it doesn't matter to some people (as they're willing to take that risk), but it's worth keeping in mind.
Apr 23, 2016
136 posts
47 upvotes
Montr
wearysky wrote: Yeah, AliExpress' shipping guarantees are (usually) fine. It's the return policies with individual sellers that are the problem. And yes, most of the time phones are fine at least during what would normally be the warranty period (the first year or so). It's only when you have problems that it's an issue, which is why I said it doesn't matter to some people (as they're willing to take that risk), but it's worth keeping in mind.
Got it today... didn't finish setting it up and testing everything but so good so far... I'm shocked it only took two 16 days to ship from China to Montreal!
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2009
1331 posts
1313 upvotes
Samsung A50 is pretty decent. My father been using it for a year and no complaints.
[OP]
Jan 17, 2018
345 posts
217 upvotes
LeifS39303 wrote: How about the Nokia 3.4? It's a good phone. $239 at Costco.
https://www.costco.ca/nokia-3.4-64-gb-u ... 90949.html
Also, if you are willing to stretch another $20 over your budget, you can get the OnePlus Nord N200 5G for $319 CAD.
Has a 1080p 90 Hz display.
https://www.oneplus.com/ca_en/oneplus-n200-5g
I ended up buying the samsung a32 but returned it. The screen was terrible compared to my current phone (zenfone 3) and no notification light or amoled display so I often missed notifications.

I had a bad experience with oneplus in the past, n200 is out.

Now I'm looking into getting the nokia 3.4 or 5.3.

If there's a really good deal I can up the budget to $400. Missed the pixel 5 at LD unfortunately.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1747 posts
568 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm pretty happy with Poco F3 bought from aliexpress for around USD $300 after coupons, no tax. 6.7" 120Hz HDR10+ AMOLED display, Snapdragon 870, Dual SIM, 33w fast charging. does not have wireless charging and 3.5mm jack though. best value for the money.
Dec 1, 2008
468 posts
180 upvotes
Windsor
I didn't have as good an experience purchasing direct from China (via a friend). I got a Huawei at a great price and overall it is a good phone (especially for the price). But a few months after I got it, I dropped it and cracked the screen. I ended up sending it back to China for repair (via a relative). It came back to me messed up - calling via apps doesn't work very well although video calls are fine. I can't exactly take it back to our local Huawei dealer for more repairs as they won't service non-local phones. I almost never make phone calls though so it's only a minor nuisance.

My biggest problem is that Google blocked Huawei so I have no access to most apps unless I can sideload the APK files. I can only find apk files for popular apps though - so no local parking apps, Superstore app, etc. It is now 2.5 yrs old and I am excited I can finally justify upgrading and have started shopping.
Mar 2, 2017
287 posts
294 upvotes
m2m wrote: I can only find apk files for popular apps though - so no local parking apps, Superstore app, etc.
If you're already on the hunt for a new phone, this may be a little late, but in the meantime if you can't find the APK you're looking for on something like APK Mirror, try the Aurora Store.

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.aurora.store/
https://www.xda-developers.com/aurora-s ... re-client/

Alternatively, there's also sites out there that will take a link to an app on google play and present you with a direct download link.

https://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)