Request-A-Deal

Best phone plan deal with Bell or Rogers?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2019 11:22 am
[OP]
Aug 28, 2016
55 posts
26 upvotes

Best phone plan deal with Bell or Rogers?

My wife and I are planning to get off our parents family plans and start one of our own with either Bell or preferably Rogers when hers expires in June. We will be bringing our own phones into the plan so are just looking for:

Unlimited talk/text Canada wide
2gb each per month

Are there any good deals currently or anything that may come up in the summer?

Thank you!
12 replies
Aug 15, 2013
93 posts
99 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Any particular reason why you want those two carriers? “Deal” doesn’t usually go with Rogers or Bell.
Exactly the thought I had too!
Check out Public Mobile. They are a subsidiary of Telus and use their towers so reliability is very good and they are good for BYOD phone plans.
Koodoo might suit you too as they are a subsidiary of Rogers but they like to sell you a phone too. Maybe look at Virgin?
TheHammer
[OP]
Aug 28, 2016
55 posts
26 upvotes
I've always liked Rogers and their coverage plus I travel for work a lot and like the roam like home plans when I'm in the USA and they have good coverage across Canada

Would koodoo or telus/public mobile have similar coverage and roam like home for cheap?
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10139 posts
12119 upvotes
Vancouver
If you like Rogers' network, you should get Fido, same network and coverage and cheaper plans. Consider Fido tablet plan for your phone, $15.month for 4GB. No voice calling or SMS with this plan, but you can use a VoIP app like Fongo to make voice calls and SMS over wifi or the data connection. Unlimited Canada-wide calling is free with Fongo, and unlimited Canada/World SMS is $10/$15 every 6 months.
Oct 8, 2010
191 posts
43 upvotes
What I find is that the plans are always the same as you see online compared to the stores.

The phone purchase promotions are usually the same. What differs is where you buy it. For example, the store "Wireless Wave" or Best Buy Mobile will have in store credits or maybe bonus data. Some Bell stores will have better promotions than other ones as well. Some are corporate and some are franchises. From my experience, I can usually get about $100 in store credit or a best buy gift card towards accessories. It doesn't have to be towards the phone. Sometimes there are port in credits if you are coming from another carrier. You can get JBL portable speakers, Google minis etc. When it comes to renewing your 2-year contract, you would contact Bell's Loyalty department and they will usually give you $250 off in bill credits spread over 5 months. You will have to go into the store and pay the 2-year contract purchase price of the phone which ends up being around the credits they apply to your account if you are looking at a high-end phone like the latest Apple or Samsung. They will waive activation fees, shipping and upgrade fees. Going directly to the store does not necessarily mean you get a better plan or better deal. The store is just for you to pickup the phone and maybe get some in store credits while you're there. The loyalty department will fix you a slightly better plan than what you see online. I find Bell has really good customer service and I generally receive the outcome I'm expecting when you talk or flirt with the phone rep Smiling Face With Sunglasses. Unlike their internet plans, the wireless rates don't increase out of the blue. I had my parents on virgin and their customer service is really bad when it came to problems with the bill. All those new providers offer lots of value but reception is the worst if you are in the core or high rise. I would assume Rogers and Telus operate the same way and their plans are very much similar.
I find if you go on a small business or family plan and share data, you will get a much better deal this way than buying each phone separately.

Ask yourself:

What phones do both of you want or do you want to keep your existing ones?
Unlimited Talk and text are standard now and 1-2 gigs is the minimum so you figured out your plan already.
Where do you want to use it? Do you plan on moving anywhere in the next 2 years?
Is saving $10-$20 monthly mean a lot to you if you are getting less quality but more value?
[OP]
Aug 28, 2016
55 posts
26 upvotes
bargainhunter99 wrote: Ask yourself:

What phones do both of you want or do you want to keep your existing ones?
Unlimited Talk and text are standard now and 1-2 gigs is the minimum so you figured out your plan already.
Where do you want to use it? Do you plan on moving anywhere in the next 2 years?
Is saving $10-$20 monthly mean a lot to you if you are getting less quality but more value?
Really appreciate your post. In regards to this last part:

We both dont care really about which phones we get or if get to keep this one. I Still owe a couple of hundred before I can leave my parents family plan though.

We plan on staying in Toronto for now but may be moving to Calgary. I am intrigued by fido due to the cheap plans and the fact they share towers with Rogers.

I just want great phone service like Rogers provides in Canada and need to have a roam like home plan for when I go to the USA. I'll look into fido more and see what they can provide me with
Oct 8, 2010
191 posts
43 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: No Canadian carrier offers decent roaming plans for when you travel out of Canada. Much better to get a local SIM for wherever you're traveling to.
For $12/day you can use your existing plan in most countries INCLUDING Cuba with Bell or $8 for USA
https://www.bell.ca/Business/Mobility/Roam-Better

You can call back home or the local country and use all your data. Saves time getting a sim if you are only going away for a week. I bought a dual sim phone just for this purpose and never ended up using the 2nd sim for other countries.
Oct 8, 2010
191 posts
43 upvotes
Mtor91 wrote: Really appreciate your post. In regards to this last part:

We both dont care really about which phones we get or if get to keep this one. I Still owe a couple of hundred before I can leave my parents family plan though.

We plan on staying in Toronto for now but may be moving to Calgary. I am intrigued by fido due to the cheap plans and the fact they share towers with Rogers.

I just want great phone service like Rogers provides in Canada and need to have a roam like home plan for when I go to the USA. I'll look into fido more and see what they can provide me with
Just the plans alone on a shareable is $77.50 + HST each for 9 gigs of shareable Data on BYOD
https://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Cell_phone_plans
Looks like for $5 more you can get a cheap new phone

Pretty good configurator on their site: https://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Cell_phone ... hare_plans

I recommend Bell, Telus, Rogers and Fido.

If you go to a Best Buy Mobile type store, you can shop all major carriers in one shot.
Jun 8, 2019
73 posts
15 upvotes
GTA
Check out Lucky Mobile's 25 dollar Canada wide plan, Unlimited International Texting and 1 Gig of Data per month plan. Also, there is Freedom Mobile's unlisted 19/Month plan which includes most of Lucky Mobile's features. Bell and Rogers is just too expensive for most.
Nov 9, 2015
369 posts
36 upvotes
ON
Is it sensible to buy iPhone outright or better to get into a contract ?
I need two lines, one form myself ad one for my wife. We really don't need data but prefer unlimited talk and text or 500-1000 mins talk. Don't want o spend too much money unnecessarily. Prefer to get any iPhone from 8 plus & UP . I'm with FIDO now, can pay out my contract by paying $79 CAD each line. I need a phone immediately, Kindly advice.
TIA.
Be positive & stay blessed :)