• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2012 9:33 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 2, 2007
727 posts
23 upvotes

Best Pizza I have ever had here in Ontario

I am just curious where people have had their best pizza? I myself thinks Dante's in Thornhill is the finest pizza that I have ever tried here in Ontario. Anybody agree or disagree with my opinion?
319 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3710 posts
422 upvotes
Toronto
I haven't tried that many pizza places. I think Dante is good, but not the best.
Mar 18, 2007
11 posts
Abruzzos pizza is good, located on Yonge and 7. Be sure to also try the fried panzos.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 10, 2006
7741 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
The thread said Ontario, so I will throw Ottawa into the pot

Louie's Pizza on McArthur!!!

Dh brings it back to the GTA for us every couple of weeks. It's based on an egg dough and I've never had anything like it!!!

http://www.restaurantica.com/restaurants/3295/
See this button :confused: :confused: Learn how to use it PLEASE ;)
Mar 5, 2007
276 posts
callitasicit wrote: I am just curious where people have had their best pizza? I myself thinks Dante's in Thornhill is the finest pizza that I have ever tried here in Ontario. Anybody agree or disagree with my opinion?
I've tried Dante's once - was helping friends move and they rewarded us with dinner from Dante's. Very tasty pizza - toppings are huge and fresh. I had the meat lover's, and let me tell you, I probably did more damage to my arteries that day than any other day. But the pizza was soooo good.

It's interesting - I had this discussion with my sister last month over a family dinner. My wife and I used to eat 241 Pizza when we were dating - that was OK, but since then, I have discovered Pizzaville and I love it. Still my, favourite is Pizza Hut. All that being said, my sister hates Pizzaville, and she prefers Domino's Pizza.

However, a number of my family (and friends for that matter) can agree that Pizza Pizza is the worst of the chains in terms of least tastiest pizza. The crust is almost always overdone if not burnt. My wife just took our son our for pizza recently and came back with a few slices for me. I said, "oh no, Pizza Pizza. I bet that the crusts are burnt (or hard as a rock). Sure enough, all the crusts were a dark brown/light black and was hardly edible. I don't know why that place is so popular - must be the amount of locations.

I've tried Boston Pizza, and you know what? I don't think it's as good as people say it is. The crust/dough had no flavour at all - it was really bland. The topics were excellent though. Boston Pizza used to have this spinach tomato mushroom cream pasta dish that was delicious - but they discontinued it last year.

I really think there are some hidden gems out there for pizza places. I hit a few spots on my way home now and again (some mom and pop pizza shop in some run down mall) - the pizzas at these places are quite good. Shows you that franchises don't have a monopoly on good food, that's for sure.

There used to be a chain in the Durham area 20 years ago called Pizza Delight that was quite good.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
1725 posts
122 upvotes
uggz22 wrote: Abruzzos pizza is good, located on Yonge and 7. Be sure to also try the fried panzos.
Where is this exactly?? They sell slices or whole pizzas like dantes?
SPOOOOOOOOOOOONN!!!!...
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1110 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
thegazelle wrote:
There used to be a chain in the Durham area 20 years ago called Pizza Delight that was quite good.
Pizza Delight 20 years ago rocked. I saw one around lately, can't remember where, but i don't think its the same anymore. I like the Gino's in Thunder Bay, not the same in Brampton.
May 8, 2006
119 posts
1 upvote
Pizza Delight was good when it was around. Any mom and pop local pizza joint is usually good because they make their pizza in a more traditional way then a franchise does. My town use to have a few mom and pop type pizza places until pizza pizza came and everyone flocked to them. I refuse to eat pizza pizza slices because they taste so horrible, even worse then a pizza from there. I just stick to a small independent franchise that makes the pizza taste like any independet does.
2012 Wins $0

2006 XBOX 360 Winner
2010 BluRay Home Theatre System Winner
Mar 18, 2007
11 posts
Abruzzos pizza is located on 9010 Yonge st Richmond Hill, the main intersection is Hwy 7 and Yonge, phone # 905 8818222. U can order slices or have a whole one made, they also have great pastas, but be sure to try the fried panzerottis. I would say this place is comparable to Dantes, its also Italian owned and have been in business over 20 yrs.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18377 posts
1360 upvotes
Elmira
call me crazy, but Pizzaville is pretty good

i HATE Domino's with a burning passion
a closed mind is already defeated
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2006
4753 posts
151 upvotes
Etobicoke
Pizza Depot is pretty good, especially the wings!
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18377 posts
1360 upvotes
Elmira
I'm seeing alot more of this Pizza Depot lately actually, but have yet to try it.... Guess I'll put that on my to-do list this week

Do they sell slices in-store? I've got a local one just up on Ray Lawson
a closed mind is already defeated
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
3048 posts
744 upvotes
Gigi's Pizza or was it Pizza Gigi's, its located at the corner of Harbord/Lippincott in downtown Toronto, one block east of Bathurst. The place only sells pizza and pop, nothing else, and they only open from 4pm to like 3am. Damn, I miss living in that neighbourhood.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
3630 posts
4 upvotes
3weddings wrote: The thread said Ontario, so I will throw Ottawa into the pot

Louie's Pizza on McArthur!!!

Dh brings it back to the GTA for us every couple of weeks. It's based on an egg dough and I've never had anything like it!!!

http://www.restaurantica.com/restaurants/3295/
In Nepean/Ottawa I'd have to say Romeo's pizza on Merivale Rd.
they also have the best donair and have a really good sweet sauce for it!
their restaurant has been there over 25 years :D
-not the cheapest pizza though a small was recently $12 and has 4 slices, but they use sooo much cheese you never need anything extra.
-also yummy homemade baklava, they are almost always sold out of it...

Also Colonade pizza in downtown ottawa, also on Bank st they bought the location of an old burger king and are always super busy!
This user has no signature! :| :| :|
Dec 9, 2006
951 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
I'm not a big fan of the crusts, so I prefer the ones @ Mama Pizza.

All their pizzas are thinned crusted, and their toppings are fresh. However I had to wait a very long time for them to make the pizza.

My favorite is their signature potatoe pizzas, but definitely not a healthy diet.

Have to give credits on their wings to, they bake them instead of deep frying, takes longer to cook but it's well worth the wait.
Mar 5, 2007
276 posts
duckdown wrote: call me crazy, but Pizzaville is pretty good

i HATE Domino's with a burning passion
I've never had Domino's, but I'm curious as to why you don't like them.

There is a pizza joint on Yonge between Finch/North York Centre in Toronto that is one of those "real" pizza places - family owned, etc. I was surprised the first time I went there - the pizza crust was so thin, yet the toppings were so thick. You could not eat it in the traditional one handed way - the toppings would just flop over. They told me that real pizza in Italy is actually supposed to be thin-crusted. That I didn't know.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 10, 2006
7741 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
Has anyone had Toppers? Ohhhhh the Chicken Bruschetta and the Shrimp Scamp are to die for!! Not traditional by any means but YUMMY!!
See this button :confused: :confused: Learn how to use it PLEASE ;)
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
1275 posts
7 upvotes
Great thread, I've been a resident of Ontario for ~ 12yrs and still haven't been able to find pizza comparible to that I used to enjoy in Montreal.

+ Thick cheese
+ Abundant toppings

Places like;
+ B&M Pizzaria
+ Pendeli's

The closest I've found so far is Topper's Pizza, however you really have to be on top of them to not skimp on the toppings.

Recommendations would be great, at least it would eliminate (somewhat) me from bringing back 2-3 pizza'a evertime I visit MTL.
Mar 5, 2007
276 posts
callitasicit wrote: I am just curious where people have had their best pizza? I myself thinks Dante's in Thornhill is the finest pizza that I have ever tried here in Ontario. Anybody agree or disagree with my opinion?
I would like to provide a slight twist to this discussion. Anyone consider store-bought frozen pizzas to be a contender for "best Ontario pizza"? I know it's a farshot, and I'm not talking about the Kraft or McCain's pizzas that don't taste very good at all and have no cheese, etc.

Have you guys tried the CostCo pizza? It's not bad, actually and good value for what you get? I realize it can't compete with fresh, but I'll say it right now, I'd rather have a frozen to oven CostCo pizza over a "fresh" Pizza Pizza pizza hands down, any day of the week. I really don't like Pizza Pizza.
Aug 4, 2004
762 posts
My most memorable pizza was at a place in Bewdley, ON.

I don't even know the name of the place but all the locals directed us there when we were there years ago. It is located on the main commercial strip, opposite the docks and parks. We ordered the works and waited 30 minutes while they made it for us.

What made the pizza memorable was that it was loaded with so much topping that every order comes with plates and forks, to eat the stuff that falls off the pizza. One slice was the most any of us could eat cuz there was so much stuff.

If anyone knows the place I am talking about, I would love to know if it is still there, cuz we are going back to Bewdley this summer and would love to visit again.