Automotive

Best place for BMW Maintenance Service in Metro Vancouver

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2016 11:11 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Mar 11, 2012
8 posts
2 upvotes
VANCOUVER

Best place for BMW Maintenance Service in Metro Vancouver

I just recently purchased a brand new 2016 X1 and I have a few questions for you other BMW owners.

Where do you take it for maintenance service?
What was your experience there like?
Do they usually provide a courtesy car?

Thanks!
20 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
31259 posts
17826 upvotes
Toronto
you mean which dealer ?

For oil change, hardly any dealer will give out courtesy car as the job only takes 1 hr at most
Sr. Member
Jul 25, 2015
895 posts
721 upvotes
Take it to your dealer for maintenance as it should have X amount of years free maintenance.

Courtesy car costs money.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 24, 2014
1188 posts
528 upvotes
Sinasta wrote: Take it to your dealer for maintenance as it should have X amount of years free maintenance.

Courtesy car costs money.
Courtesy/loaner cars are free for people taking their car for warranty work or maintenance. I don't know of any dealership that charges people for their courtesy cars.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 24, 2014
1188 posts
528 upvotes
booblehead wrote: you mean which dealer ?

For oil change, hardly any dealer will give out courtesy car as the job only takes 1 hr at most
Might depend on your relationship with the dealership and maybe the vehicle you purchased, but my Audi dealership offers me a courtesy car every time I bring in the car for an oil change. One of the local BMW dealers gives my friend an X1 or X3 whenever he needs the extra space for moving larger items, or will give him a 3 or 5 series xDrive if he goes to the ski hill for the weekend. He also drives an M3 and has been a longtime customer so that might have something to do with it.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1274 posts
258 upvotes
North Vancouver
All dealers in BC change a $25+tax for a BMW loaner. You can also get a generic rental car for free. If you have a personal friend at dealer they may just let you get one without paying.

Any dealer is fine for maintenance since it's free. Most people go autowest and Brian Jessel since they're the most convenient.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 24, 2014
1188 posts
528 upvotes
bomiheko wrote: All dealers in BC change a $25+tax for a BMW loaner. You can also get a generic rental car for free. If you have a personal friend at dealer they may just let you get one without paying.

Any dealer is fine for maintenance since it's free. Most people go autowest and Brian Jessel since they're the most convenient.
Is this only for BMW? That's ridiculous.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
31259 posts
17826 upvotes
Toronto
That's cheap. In Ontario, some bmw dealers want $50 + taxes + your refilled gas for bimmer; non bmw would be $25 +

For warranty work, reg maint but some SA will give the loaner free, pending on how extensive and duration the warranty work is and your dealing wth SA
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 24, 2014
1188 posts
528 upvotes
booblehead wrote: That's cheap. In Ontario, some bmw dealers want $50 + taxes + your refilled gas for bimmer; non bmw would be $25 +

For warranty work, reg maint but some SA will give the loaner free, pending on how extensive and duration the warranty work is and your dealing wth SA
I have never heard of a dealership charging customers money to use their courtesy cars. Is this a way for them to ensure they always have some available? What about if you have to go in for warranty work? They still charge you? Seems ridiculous to me. My local dealership once gave me a Porsche Cayenne S for the day because they ran out of Audi loaners.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
31259 posts
17826 upvotes
Toronto
Used to be free for virtually any types of services. These days , it is all about padding more $ to the margin.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 24, 2014
1188 posts
528 upvotes
booblehead wrote: Used to be free for virtually any types of services. These days , it is all about padding more $ to the margin.
They can definitely get away with it in the big cities like Toronto and Vancouver where virtually everyone is driving a 3 series. Here in Ottawa, that wouldn't fly haha.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6636 posts
2366 upvotes
BC
rsang39 wrote: ...... Is this a way for them to ensure they always have some available? ....
Yes, that's the main reason I remember from when our BMW dealership announced this change a few years back.

Seems that the sense of entitlement with many BMW owners is strong and that earlybirds were refusing being driven a short distance to the office and insisting on a loaner.

That left the dealership with a problem when later customers who really needed a loaner because their repair work meant the car needed to be kept overnight (bigger repair than expected, ran out of time, parts ordered in, etc.).

Also, there is a cost to everything, and the demanding/entitled customers were being subsidized by those who chose to take the bus, walk, have a ride with a friend or colleague, or use the loaner BMW bicycles.

I agree that any dealership should be able to reward longtime customers with freebies when appropriate and not find they unable to because the freeloaders had emptied the cookie tin.
Sr. Member
Jul 25, 2015
895 posts
721 upvotes
rsang39 wrote: Courtesy/loaner cars are free for people taking their car for warranty work or maintenance. I don't know of any dealership that charges people for their courtesy cars.
As proven by other posters. It costs money.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 24, 2014
1188 posts
528 upvotes
Sinasta wrote: As proven by other posters. It costs money.
Yes that's fairly obvious, but i've never heard of a dealership passing the rising expenses to customers by charging them money to use their cars. I don't know of any dealership in Ottawa that does it.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1274 posts
258 upvotes
North Vancouver
macnut wrote: Yes, that's the main reason I remember from when our BMW dealership announced this change a few years back.

Seems that the sense of entitlement with many BMW owners is strong and that earlybirds were refusing being driven a short distance to the office and insisting on a loaner.

That left the dealership with a problem when later customers who really needed a loaner because their repair work meant the car needed to be kept overnight (bigger repair than expected, ran out of time, parts ordered in, etc.).

Also, there is a cost to everything, and the demanding/entitled customers were being subsidized by those who chose to take the bus, walk, have a ride with a friend or colleague, or use the loaner BMW bicycles.

I agree that any dealership should be able to reward longtime customers with freebies when appropriate and not find they unable to because the freeloaders had emptied the cookie tin.
Yeah this was it. There are too many BMWs in Vancouver, and at one point I remember AutoWest ran out of courtesy cars and used up a lot of their demo cars to compensate.

It was so much better before. An SA once let me pick a car I wanted to use as a loaner, and I picked a M6 just for the fun of it. Now, they can't offer the gesture.

They're not denying people courtesy cars, just that they aren't BMWs if you want free. Plus, they are also willing to drive you anywhere and a lot of times are willing to drive you back from work or where ever you are.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37042 posts
23013 upvotes
Center of Universe
Lexus and even Ford in my surrounding area offers a loaner, when bringing a vehicle in for service...just have to ask in advance when booking the appointment.
Sr. Member
Jul 25, 2015
895 posts
721 upvotes
rsang39 wrote: Yes that's fairly obvious, but i've never heard of a dealership passing the rising expenses to customers by charging them money to use their cars. I don't know of any dealership in Ottawa that does it.
Give Ottos BMW a call.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 24, 2014
1188 posts
528 upvotes
Sinasta wrote: Give Ottos BMW a call.
Won't be buying a car from them anytime soon. Surprised BMW does it. Heard MB does too, pretty disappointing. I'll stick with a dealership that gives me free loaners when I need them.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
31259 posts
17826 upvotes
Toronto
Lexus gives free loaner. Usually ES (the boat) :)
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 1, 2013
6179 posts
2830 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
LOL, BMW charges for loaners..I suppose that's the price to pay for a luxury loaner car. My local Toyota dealer gives free loaners to customers.
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!

Top