Black Friday & Cyber Monday Discussion 2019

Best place to buy furniture (couches) on Boxing Day/Black Friday?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2020 9:28 am
[OP]
Nov 20, 2017
436 posts
310 upvotes

Best place to buy furniture (couches) on Boxing Day/Black Friday?

I saw a few people mentioning they were looking for a couch/sectional in the wishlist thread.

I'm in the same boat but haven't bought a lot of furniture before. Previous threads on here have said to avoid The Brick. I can see why given the quality. But most furniture these days seems to be poor quality regardless of where one shops.

Hudson Bay seems to have some nice online inventory but I was wondering what kind of promotions they usually have on furniture this time of year? Occasionally I'll pass through Home Sense and see some decent quality/stylish couches for lower prices than elsewhere.

Any recommendations on where to go and what type of promotions to expect this year?
Past experiences?

Thank you!

As a side note: it's actually hilarious how much people expect to sell their used couches/furniture for on Kijiji. I've been browsing Kijij/FB Marketplace lately and it has been a waste of time
Don't go broke saving
24 replies
Feb 27, 2019
14 posts
7 upvotes
I've seen some solid sales from Best Buy on furniture. Might be worth checking out for BF/CM. I think shipping is free as well.
Nov 8, 2007
455 posts
40 upvotes
Ottawa
I find furniture looks really good these days but doesn't stand up to regular use. Shop by brand and not by store. If you shop at a local owned store and see a killer deal ask yourself if the place is going to be around next week. If you are not sure use a credit card.

Once I decided to buy local at Valleysquire in Ottawa selling Canadian manufactured furniture and that was a mistake at the retail and manufacturing level. Now I buy Costco and they have been great.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
1028 posts
1143 upvotes
I honestly don't think BF or Boxing Day are any special deals for furniture. Especially since all the big box stores are negotiable, like Brick, Leons (same company) etc... Even those overpriced ikea-like hipster places can give you a discount like EQ3
[OP]
Nov 20, 2017
436 posts
310 upvotes
The guy I spoke with at the Brick was being honest with me and told me to wait until Boxing Day as it's the best time to buy furniture there
Not what you'd expect from a sales guy but we clicked on a more personal level about some other stuff and that's what he told me so take it for what it's worth
Don't go broke saving
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30650 posts
1569 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Babbsy wrote: Shop by brand and not by store.
What brands to you recommend?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3596 posts
2168 upvotes
Vancouver
Ikea generally has coupons or sales so that's one option. Their design aren't anything special but their quality generally isn't too bad.

Brick is fine if you fine something you really like. Don't expect much post sale service and from what i heard delivery service is pretty bad. That said, you do get what you ordered so as long as you do enough research in advance, they are ok to deal with. I do recommend picking up yourself since that's what i did (to avoid horrible delivery service Brick is really known for). If you can't pickup yourself for whatever reason, might be a good idea to avoid Brick.

Local stores might have deals too. Check around and maybe haggle a deal during black friday. Its possible but generally boxing week is a better time to haggle if you want to go that route.

Costco online also has some decent furniture if you are willing to order online. Same with bestbuy. Personally i prefer to actually test anything i sit on before buying just because reviews don't tell the entire story when it comes to personal preference.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2006
1249 posts
512 upvotes
Jordanferras wrote: The guy I spoke with at the Brick was being honest with me and told me to wait until Boxing Day as it's the best time to buy furniture there
Not what you'd expect from a sales guy but we clicked on a more personal level about some other stuff and that's what he told me so take it for what it's worth
All this info is for a leather sectional:

The Brick wanted $2400 for a leather sectional (faux leather on the back, bottom and sides) and reduced it to $2100 as I was leaving. Faux leather will fade at a different speed compared to real leather, in a few years the sides/back will be in a different shade. It looked like crap but I was getting tired and desperate trying to get a sofa for my new house so I spent a long time there negotiating. They were really slow so I went to a higher end store nearby that didn't allow negotiations and spent about $600 more for a MUCH higher end sofa. The leather is much softer, looked modern, and real leather everywhere. The Brick wanted $300 for warranty on their low quality sofa, which was negotiable down to <$150 (usually free at higher end stores).

After endless hours of shopping and comparing a bunch of sectionals, here's my conclusion:
1. Go with a cheap half genuine leather half faux leather one for $1000 from a small warehouse/store and you'll be happy with what you paid for ~2 years (found tons of warehouse/dealers on craigslist, temporary option when you don't know how long you're staying there for and is considered disposable)
2. Go with a higher end full genuine leather for $2500+ and be very happy with it for ~6 years
3. Go ultra high end for ~$7000 and be in love with it for a very long time

I went with option 2 (picked a $3000 sofa).
Sep 2, 2010
301 posts
103 upvotes
I spoke with someone at Leon's in Calgary and they told me the best pricing isn't black Friday nor Boxing Day, it's actually during early to mid December when they try to offer better sales outside of the prime shopping weeks.
Nov 8, 2007
455 posts
40 upvotes
Ottawa
I'd recommend Palliser if you looking for couches / sofas etc. They have nice and solid wood arms that are not hollow.
Apr 27, 2010
210 posts
125 upvotes
Toronto
Jordanferras wrote: The guy I spoke with at the Brick was being honest with me and told me to wait until Boxing Day as it's the best time to buy furniture there
I bought a mattress from the Brick last boxing day. Never again. ****ing pricks
Jul 10, 2011
15 posts
4 upvotes
EAST YORK
FPrince wrote: I bought a mattress from the Brick last boxing day. Never again. ****ing pricks
What happened?
Aug 3, 2010
85 posts
60 upvotes
Windsor
Also curious for the best deals on Boxing Day for good quality stuff. Need to furnish an entire house so I'll be looking for the best deals.

From what I can gather The Brick should be avoided due to their low quality and high prices, but any other places as well?

Looking at Leons, Structube, Ikea, Ashley Furniture, Hudson Bay, and a few local retailers (Teppermans & Mansours)