Best place to buy guitars online

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2017 10:52 am
Apr 17, 2012
6 posts
LAVAL

Best place to buy guitars online

Greetings,

Where do you guys shop for guitars online? I'm trying to get the best bang for my buck. Any daily deals sites? Marketplaces?

Thanks!
9 replies
Mar 4, 2006
474 posts
148 upvotes
If you don't mind used, than Kijiji or Craigslist would be you best bet. But you should know what you want and how much you are willing to pay.
Apr 17, 2012
6 posts
LAVAL
I don't mind used, but I would be more confident buying from a store to avoid issues with the guitar that my beginner self might not detect if I just fiddle with it before buying.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2006
1525 posts
606 upvotes
Toronto
If you don't know exactly what you want, I wouldn't suggest buying online where you won't get to try it out first. Guitars can feel very different from model to model. Personally Kijiji would be my go-to. If you find something on there, you could always make the sale conditional on taking it into a guitar shop and having them inspect it for peace of mind. I know Long & McQuade have a used section in their stores, so that's another option if you want to go used, but have more assurance everything is in order.
Oct 17, 2003
561 posts
177 upvotes
Fredericton
Kijiji, Reverb and any of the online stores in Canada (L&M, LA, Cosmo etc).

And best bang for the buck with items that are very personal preference isn't exactly easy. Reverb is pretty good for giving you recent prices for different models, but since most of the stuff there is from the US, it won't translate to the Canadian market. Best advice, go to music stores and try everything out and see what gels with you. Take that shopping list and start search for deals.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
IMO guitars are something not to be bought online sight unseen. Every guitar has a different feel & sound. It is an extremely personal experience / item. You need to try it out. I'd buy used before I would buy new online.
Aug 17, 2012
418 posts
562 upvotes
Victoria
The very best way to buy guitars online is to find your local music gear buy/sell group on Facebook, join, and browse through the items for sale. For me it is "Victoria Guitar FX" and it is such a great community. No one would sell you crap because they know it hurts their rep as a local musician, and there is a mutual respect among musicians. Plus they will know the best guitar / gear techs and give you other great advice if you ask. Another pro tip, you can search all of the local Long and McQuade deals straight from their website. Go to Deal Centre - Local Store Specials.
Apr 17, 2012
6 posts
LAVAL
I spent the afternoon yesterday going to as many guitar stores as I could, and from everything I tried, nothing beats the Gretsch G2655 that I played with at L&M. Now I just have to get decided to pull the trigger on what is a few hundred dollars more than I had planned on spending... :)
Apr 17, 2012
6 posts
LAVAL
audioarchetype wrote: The very best way to buy guitars online is to find your local music gear buy/sell group on Facebook, join, and browse through the items for sale.
I didn't even know such groups existed! Thanks for the tip, I just joined a few in my area.