• Jan 4th, 2016 5:57 pm
[OP]
Mar 23, 2015
201 posts
26 upvotes
Burlington, ON

Best place to buy LED light bulbs for house

Hi Guys,

I need to buy over 100 LED light bulbs for my house and I was wondering what the best place to buy LED light bulbs.

Also which products would you recommend?

Please let me know.

Thank you very much,

Dasm
22 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2047 posts
1098 upvotes
Alberta
So far I have bought all Fiet Electric ones, bought two of these boxes for boxing day to replace high usage areas:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/feit- ... oWvYRUrKUk

and previously bought these from Canadian Tire as well, all work fantastic:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/feit- ... oWwUBUrKUk

I found that the 40W equivalent is more then bright enough, 60W were way too bright!

And just yesterday bought a bunch of GU10 bulbs at dollarama, made by GLOBE, $3 a pop.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1804 posts
475 upvotes
Vancouver
If you like to dim your bulbs, I've found nothing better than Philips's 9.5W LED with Warm Glow paired with a compatible dimmer. The bulb dims smoothly with no flicker, and its colour temperature also drops to 2200K, just like an incandescent bulb. Cost at Home Depot is $12 before rebates.

If you're looking for a lower purchase price, consider Sunbeam's 9W bulb from Costco at $16.99 for a 3-pack.

If you like a higher colour temperature than the typical incandescent-like 2700K, you may wish to consider Feit's 9W 3000K bulb, available in an 8-pack of non-dimmable bulbs at Canadian Tire for $29.99. Feit also has a slightly more expensive dimmable version.

Since you're in Ontario, look for coupons: https://saveonenergy.ca/consumer/progra ... upons.aspx . It looks like these expire today. I don't know if they will be renewed next year.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
2161 posts
554 upvotes
Alberta
Dang, didn't know they've come down so much.
I've been having to replace candelabra (E12) bulbs though, so I've been using Ikea ones. No complaints so far.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
27009 posts
11452 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Home Depot and Lowes have lots of good bulbs, most Philips and Sylvania bulbs have 3-5 year warranties.
60W equivalent is the standard, 40W is a bit cheaper (i always go 60W) and 100W is rare. HD has a $14.97 100W equivalent bulb that works well.
Most LED bulbs are energy star certified which means at least 25000 hours of life. Some are not certified and have lower lifetimes (which should always be stated on the package).
LED bulbs don't like heat, so they need to shed it, meaning never use them in a fixture that is closed (prevents airflow), and their heatsinks get hot, enough to burn you (just like an incandescent or halogen).

Download coupons here for discounts on energy star rated bulbs
https://saveonenergy.ca/Consumer/Progra ... UPONS.aspx
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Oct 11, 2013
156 posts
18 upvotes
Markham, ON
Sorry to threadjack, but I didn't want to start a new thread for the exact same question.

I have those contractor pack GU10 potlights. I bought 2 Lutron LED dimmers a few weeks ago when Lowes was having a No-Tax event. Since Lowes is having a 16% off deal today, I figured I would load up on bulbs.

It doesn't look like Lowes has Philips, and the Sylvania bulbs are these 1-pin bulbs that say PAR16 GU10. I have never seen them before so I am not sure if they would work. Other brands are Feit, Bazz, and GE.

Also, there are some bulbs that say things like 7 Watts but 60 Watts equivalent. They're pretty expensive but if they're worth it for the energy savings I would go for it. I guess I am worried that the bulb would go out before realizing any savings.

Sorry for all of the questions, but any help on which bulb to get from Lowes would be appreciated.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7534 posts
791 upvotes
Toronto
jk43234 wrote: Sorry to threadjack, but I didn't want to start a new thread for the exact same question.

I have those contractor pack GU10 potlights. I bought 2 Lutron LED dimmers a few weeks ago when Lowes was having a No-Tax event. Since Lowes is having a 16% off deal today, I figured I would load up on bulbs.

It doesn't look like Lowes has Philips, and the Sylvania bulbs are these 1-pin bulbs that say PAR16 GU10. I have never seen them before so I am not sure if they would work. Other brands are Feit, Bazz, and GE.

Also, there are some bulbs that say things like 7 Watts but 60 Watts equivalent. They're pretty expensive but if they're worth it for the energy savings I would go for it. I guess I am worried that the bulb would go out before realizing any savings.

Sorry for all of the questions, but any help on which bulb to get from Lowes would be appreciated.
You're better off waiting for an instore promotion and using the $5 energy coupons.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2155 posts
42 upvotes
Mississauga
Dollarama has the LED 60w equivalent for $3 each.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7534 posts
791 upvotes
Toronto
mannyb wrote: Dollarama has the LED 60w equivalent for $3 each.
Regular price or only with the energy coupon event?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2155 posts
42 upvotes
Mississauga
Drew_W wrote: Regular price or only with the energy coupon event?
Regular price. I doubt they accept the rebate coupons.
Oct 11, 2013
156 posts
18 upvotes
Markham, ON
Drew_W wrote: You're better off waiting for an instore promotion and using the $5 energy coupons.
Thanks. I wish I would have looked for these energy coupons before getting dimmers. I guess it would be better to wait until Lowes has another No-Tax event.

mannyb wrote: Dollarama has the LED 60w equivalent for $3 each.
Thanks. How are the bulbs at Dollarama?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2155 posts
42 upvotes
Mississauga
jk43234 wrote: How are the bulbs at Dollarama?
I don't know as I was there to buy something else and I happened to see them. For $3, try it out and if they're crappy, at least you didn't waste too much money.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
5310 posts
484 upvotes
Vancouver
Ildasm wrote: Hi Guys,

I need to buy over 100 LED light bulbs for my house and I was wondering what the best place to buy LED light bulbs.

Also which products would you recommend?

Please let me know.

Thank you very much,

Dasm
Dozens of people are selling Gu10(and others) with free shipping http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?cat ... t=gu10+led
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
27009 posts
11452 upvotes
Socially Distanced
popbottle wrote: Dozens of people are selling Gu10(and others) with free shipping http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?cat ... t=gu10+led
Don't buy these direct from china junk, they are poorly made, would never pass CSA testing and may burn your house down (even more likely being a hard to heatsink potlight).
Your insurance will cancel your coverage if you burn your house down by buying illegal unsafe garbage

I've seen several examples of teardowns of these bulbs, and you won't believe some of the tricks they play to lower cost, missing solder, heatsink separations or parts removed, insufficient isolations, insufficient wire gauge, improper LED mounting, flammable materials, just about anything that can be wrong will eventually show up if you buy enough of these bulbs (and also expect mix and match between batches, factory A makes 1 million bulbs, factory B makes 2 million, Factory C and D make 500,000, all are mixed together and you get new bulbs with 2-3 year old bulbs all in one order).
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
27009 posts
11452 upvotes
Socially Distanced
popbottle wrote: the dollarama ones dont come fromt he same place?
They often do, but they have to meet CSA standards to be legally allowed into the country, the Distributor (usually Dollarama, but in the case of HD or Lowes would be the company, Philips, Sylvania etc) mandates a design the manufacturer is to follow (they still try to cheapen it mind you but its not designed to be unsafe before its even built), the bulbs are CSA tested and approved by the distributor/company and if they fail there is a chain of custody and liability, you have a company you can sue (or your insurance company can) meaning they attempt to ensure their products meet safety standards. I believe there is also spot testing done periodically, whereas no name from china you are the guilty party because you imported and used unsafe (hence illegal) merchandise.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1271 posts
836 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
You need to take precautions of what you are buying and where you are buying it from? Especially if it's coming from Asia... Counterfeiting products is a huge business, where these companies are even faking the CSA labels and placing it on their products. For ex: you think you are buying a CSA approved LED light bulb meanwhile it's a knock off!
May 18, 2011
531 posts
74 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I have bought plenty from ebay that come from China with various claims and they were all complete garbage. Don't ever buy anything from there. I have bought LED mr16 bulbs to replace halogen 50 watts from this place. http://jencocanada.ca/

I have been very happy with them and they do have a warranty of 2 years I believe. The ones I got are COB LED 6w and the light is pretty good. I think they were around 7$ each. I bought regular base screw in LED bulbs from costco and I was also happy with those. They also had the coupons at Costco.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4232 posts
876 upvotes
Ottawa
eblend wrote: made by GLOBE, $3 a pop.
Hope they work out for you; $3 is not a bad price. But I have never been satisfied with any Globe product I've used, and would never recommend them to anyone.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7534 posts
791 upvotes
Toronto
Moral of the story: Buy from a large retailer and stack energy coupons + Friends/Family, No Tax, BuyMoreSaveMore, etc events. You can PM those from Lowes to HD easily, AND HD takes energy coupons year round so you don't have to wait for the 2 events every year at Lowes.

Best deal still is energy events at Costco, but again, you have to wait for those.