Home & Garden

best place to buy new fridge and oven

  • Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2021 2:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3346 posts
2300 upvotes

best place to buy new fridge and oven

looking for a new oven and fridge in durham region. what is the best place to get the best deal that you guys have used in the past?
Got that FIDO account!
20 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 10, 2015
1842 posts
675 upvotes
Elgin, ON
Buy from anyone that has stock and a 30+ day price match guarantee.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17869 posts
15317 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
rkjredflag wrote: Buy from anyone that has stock and a 30+ day price match guarantee.
This

Stock during Covid is a very real issue
What used to run anywhere from immediate to a few weeks for delivery
Is now a few to many months (like 3 to 12+ )

You can SEARCH THIS FORUM to see many threads on this issue
(Search box right hand side top of this HOME & GARDEN FORUM Directory = home-garden-f53/ )

And if you are smart ... you’ll buy appliances from North America
Stay away from the LG & Samsung “shiny new features” that crap out and cannot be fixed

You can read up on them in past threads too

If you find stock ... my fave these days is Costco
Cuz they are good for Pricing, Delivery, Warranty etc
Best bet for appliances since Kenmore & Sears disappeared
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1666 upvotes
Clarington, ON
I've been happy with Paddy's Market so far.
Member
Mar 22, 2004
300 posts
30 upvotes
Vancouver
Interesting, I was about to post a similar question. I'm looking for a Range,Fridge and Dishwasher. Most of the online prices seem the same for the models I'm searching for. My question would have been if there is generally any room for haggling like when you buy a car, but I guess if there are supply problems you take what you can get.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
8434 posts
3010 upvotes
Maple
It took me more than 5 months (ordered Sept 2020, delivered Feb 2021) to get my fridge from Leons. I knew it would take time due to Covid-19. Just be prepare for delays.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 4, 2006
2743 posts
193 upvotes
Burlington
rkjredflag wrote: Buy from anyone that has stock and a 30+ day price match guarantee.
Agree with the above. A lot of companies basically wash their hands of you once the appliance is delivered, so a larger company that offers after sales support and a pricing guarantee is usually healthy.

Stock will be an issue for a while it seems, just make sure you get a set delivery date (issues can happen) but I've heard horror stories of companies that orders were promised but never delivered and after months they wanted to cancel and the companies were charging restocking fees.
Jr. Member
May 9, 2014
165 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Appliance Canada. They know what they have, what is coming in and allocated and unallocated so delivery shouldn’t be an issue. Delivery guys are really good especially if you have a difficult delivery situation.

Best Buy, Costco delivery service is pretty poor, I would avoid for that reason. But if you have a bad delivery Costco will take care of you. Not sure with Bestbuy.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
15152 posts
11635 upvotes
Tarrana
Do not buy from badboy or the brick. No matter the deal, incentive, extended warranry or whatever they tell you. DO NOT BUY!
Last edited by JayLove06 on May 8th, 2021 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
15152 posts
11635 upvotes
Tarrana
DarkMasterMX wrote: Agree with the above. A lot of companies basically wash their hands of you once the appliance is delivered, so a larger company that offers after sales support and a pricing guarantee is usually healthy.

Stock will be an issue for a while it seems, just make sure you get a set delivery date (issues can happen) but I've heard horror stories of companies that orders were promised but never delivered and after months they wanted to cancel and the companies were charging restocking fees.
This, this, this.

I was looking for stock and price and got screwed. Badboy sold me a washer and dryer. Dryer dented. Washer never turned on. They washed their hands of it and have lied. Buy from a reputable place with good return policy that has actual stock.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
6089 posts
4391 upvotes
riseagainstthemachine wrote: looking for a new oven and fridge in durham region. what is the best place to get the best deal that you guys have used in the past?
Bought laundry appliances from Costco.ca last July. Very happy with the ''White Glove'' deliveryservice, they haul away your old appliances for $0. And, Costco doubles the manufacturer warranty (2 years with Costco) and they have the Concierge service, if ever needed. Also, you get 2% cashback if you ar an Executive Member over whatever your credit card gives
Martyji wrote: Appliance Canada. They know what they have, what is coming in and allocated and unallocated so delivery shouldn’t be an issue. Delivery guys are really good especially if you have a difficult delivery situation.

Best Buy, Costco delivery service is pretty poor, I would avoid for that reason. But if you have a bad delivery Costco will take care of you. Not sure with Bestbuy.
Is this based on a personnal experience? Please share what happened. Very happy with Costco's delivery service here...
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 4, 2006
2743 posts
193 upvotes
Burlington
Martyji wrote: Appliance Canada. They know what they have, what is coming in and allocated and unallocated so delivery shouldn’t be an issue. Delivery guys are really good especially if you have a difficult delivery situation.

Best Buy, Costco delivery service is pretty poor, I would avoid for that reason. But if you have a bad delivery Costco will take care of you. Not sure with Best Buy.
Best Buy uses a similar company for delivery as other major competitors. Sadly sometimes you get great folks, I've personally always had great experiences on my own deliveries, but sometimes you get mediocre drivers and the experience isn't perfect. I think there needs to be an understanding that they are just delivery drivers and unless given instructions for special requests like door removals or other things they sometimes don't have the time or tools to do so.

Ultimately Best Buy is one of those large companies I was mentioning that offers price guarantees and great after sales support. Being a larger scale company they have a lot of avenues to fix things if something goes wrong or you get a lemon/damaged unit out of box.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
6089 posts
4391 upvotes
DarkMasterMX wrote: Best Buy uses a similar company for delivery as other major competitors. Sadly sometimes you get great folks, I've personally always had great experiences on my own deliveries, but sometimes you get mediocre drivers and the experience isn't perfect. I think there needs to be an understanding that they are just delivery drivers and unless given instructions for special requests like door removals or other things they sometimes don't have the time or tools to do so.

Ultimately Best Buy is one of those large companies I was mentioning that offers price guarantees and great after sales support. Being a larger scale company they have a lot of avenues to fix things if something goes wrong or you get a lemon/damaged unit out of box.
well from my personnal experience ( with small appliances and electronics though, not with major appliances) Best Buy are not the Best ( no game of words ;) ) with aftersale service if you ever get issues past the 30 days return window... Always been redirected to manufacturer to correct - solve issues after 30 days.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 22, 2005
20269 posts
5730 upvotes
GTA
I had a bad experience with Costco delivery, they basically contract out to small businesses, often bottom of the barrel. Lots of missed deliveries, lack of communication.

But Costco made it right in the end and gave me a big discount. Hopefully they've improved their contracted delivery partners, but my experience wasn't too great. Still, they have your back, just a questionable selection of delivery companies. I'd imagine margins are slim so they pick the cheapest delivery companies.

Still, I would go with Costco. Too bad majority of their appliances are sold out, I am looking for an induction stove and fridge. Hopefully it'll be in stock again soon.
Sr. Member
Feb 10, 2008
644 posts
293 upvotes
Toronto
riseagainstthemachine wrote: anyone ever use Goemans?
We recently bought a fridge from goemans and was quite happy with everything. We've since bought a range (was a delay of about 6 weeks so hasn't been delivered yet), and just this weekend a washer and dryer that we should get delivered this week. Our salesman always gives us slightly better deals than the prices on their website and communication has been great as far as delivery goes.

Selection is definitely limited with Covid though if you are looking for a specific make/model.
Jr. Member
May 9, 2014
165 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Yes, simple range delivery.
1) They unboxed the appliance which I don’t find unusual then later asked me to sign that unauthorized the unboxing.
2) Piece missing from the appliance which I found within 10minutes of the guys leaving. Called the driver back and no answer, called the delivery service and they said they would check with the driver and call back. Said we would drive to the address where the driver was. Never called back, waited and called back 4 hours later. Said they checked with the driver and it’s not in the box. I was furious as they could have easily checked within 10 min and I could have met them at the next delivery.

White glove it is not, they bring to the home entrance only. Not a big deal for me but not for folk who have appliances upstairs or downstairs, no good

Costco took care of it and sent out the missing part.
DoorCrasher wrote: Bought laundry appliances from Costco.ca last July. Very happy with the ''White Glove'' deliveryservice, they haul away your old appliances for $0. And, Costco doubles the manufacturer warranty (2 years with Costco) and they have the Concierge service, if ever needed. Also, you get 2% cashback if you ar an Executive Member over whatever your credit card gives



Is this based on a personnal experience? Please share what happened. Very happy with Costco's delivery service here...
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17869 posts
15317 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
coriolis wrote: I had a bad experience with Costco delivery, they basically contract out to small businesses, often bottom of the barrel. Lots of missed deliveries, lack of communication.

But Costco made it right in the end and gave me a big discount. Hopefully they've improved their contracted delivery partners, but my experience wasn't too great. Still, they have your back, just a questionable selection of delivery companies. I'd imagine margins are slim so they pick the cheapest delivery companies.

Still, I would go with Costco. Too bad majority of their appliances are sold out, I am looking for an induction stove and fridge. Hopefully it'll be in stock again soon.
Martyji wrote: Yes, simple range delivery.
1) They unboxed the appliance which I don’t find unusual then later asked me to sign that unauthorized the unboxing.
2) Piece missing from the appliance which I found within 10minutes of the guys leaving. Called the driver back and no answer, called the delivery service and they said they would check with the driver and call back. Said we would drive to the address where the driver was. Never called back, waited and called back 4 hours later. Said they checked with the driver and it’s not in the box. I was furious as they could have easily checked within 10 min and I could have met them at the next delivery.

White glove it is not, they bring to the home entrance only. Not a big deal for me but not for folk who have appliances upstairs or downstairs, no good

Costco took care of it and sent out the missing part.
Ya there is no Corporate Arm of Costco that do their BIG deliveries (furniture, appliances, electronics etc )
They contract that out locally
So everyone’s experience can be different across the country

One word ... COMPLAIN
Locally to your warehouse ...
As well as to Costco Canada HQ
Enough noise ... and they’ll change Delivery Cos
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
6089 posts
4391 upvotes
Martyji wrote: Yes, simple range delivery.
1) They unboxed the appliance which I don’t find unusual then later asked me to sign that unauthorized the unboxing.
2) Piece missing from the appliance which I found within 10minutes of the guys leaving. Called the driver back and no answer, called the delivery service and they said they would check with the driver and call back. Said we would drive to the address where the driver was. Never called back, waited and called back 4 hours later. Said they checked with the driver and it’s not in the box. I was furious as they could have easily checked within 10 min and I could have met them at the next delivery.

White glove it is not, they bring to the home entrance only. Not a big deal for me but not for folk who have appliances upstairs or downstairs, no good

Costco took care of it and sent out the missing part.
I am not trying to take Costco's side here, just trying to bring things apart.

1- Unboxing is supposed to be included. There is no such things like signing for unauthorized unboxing unless they have different rules due to covid.

2- parts missing are not Costco's fault, and not transporter's fault. It is manufacturer's fault. Many items sold on Costco.ca does not even come in hand to Costco employees. They are directly shipped from the manufacturer's warehouse. Confirmed by Costco for my laundry appliances set.

3- Delivery men unboxed the appliances, brought those in the laundry room in the basement, as per the contract, gave me brand new washer hoses, offered to install ( I refused), and hauled away old appliances. May be different rules again, due to covid.

Like another mentionned, complain directly to Costco is the best way to have issues fixed. Like with many furnitures shop delivery service is sub-contracted, making things differents from one time to another, one area to another
Jr. Member
May 9, 2014
165 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto, ON
1) they did not give me the choice to unbox but then asked me to sign later that I authorized the unboxing. I find it strange that they need a signature.

Appliance Canada did unbox too, but didn’t require a signature that I authorized the unboxing.

2) the item was probably in the box or secured in the styrofoam, they didn’t bother to look for it. My bad for not going through the instructions while they were there and making sure everything was there. Delivery company had poor communication or didn’t care to look for the item, I believe it’s the later.

3) in the predelivery email they say they only bring to the front entrance and did so during the delivery. This is probably due to COVID policies. This delivery co is definitely not white glove service folks. Like someone else says, I would hate to seem them try to remove
a door from a fridge and then install.

Yes this happen at my mom’s place when she had an LG French door fridge delivered from Appliance Canada. Guys knew how to remove the door and drawer. Knew only 1 door need to removed and then they could fit it through the door. No scratches to the door or fridge.

Yes, Costco did take care of it in the end.

Next time: easy delivery Costco maybe an option. Difficult delivery will go with Appliance Canada.
DoorCrasher wrote: I am not trying to take Costco's side here, just trying to bring things apart.

1- Unboxing is supposed to be included. There is no such things like signing for unauthorized unboxing unless they have different rules due to covid.

2- parts missing are not Costco's fault, and not transporter's fault. It is manufacturer's fault. Many items sold on Costco.ca does not even come in hand to Costco employees. They are directly shipped from the manufacturer's warehouse. Confirmed by Costco for my laundry appliances set.

3- Delivery men unboxed the appliances, brought those in the laundry room in the basement, as per the contract, gave me brand new washer hoses, offered to install ( I refused), and hauled away old appliances. May be different rules again, due to covid.

Like another mentionned, complain directly to Costco is the best way to have issues fixed. Like with many furnitures shop delivery service is sub-contracted, making things differents from one time to another, one area to another

Top