• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2018 12:20 pm
[OP]
Nov 30, 2010
94 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver

Best place to get BNIB unlocked Samsung Galaxy S8 at clearance price

As the S9 is already out where would be the best place to get a BNIB unlocked Samsung Galaxy S8 at a clearance price? I am located in lower mainland in BC. Is there a certain time when Samsung stores start to clear out the previous models?

I checked ebay and saw some new other S8 but I'd rather not deal with the hassle of getting a US phone.

Thanks
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6512 posts
6021 upvotes
Richmond Hill
What price point are you aiming for? Wow mobile + trade in will probably be your cheapest option, if we're looking only at retailers.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2010
94 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver
Looking for ~$500

I do recall in past the Samsung Store offered some promos when new phones came out. I was wondering if anyone was aware of any clearance promos going on.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13709 posts
11212 upvotes
Leask
March 31st, else wait until June. Wow Mobile, else TMS or BestBuy on Koodo.
No solicitation in sigs
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18985 posts
8604 upvotes
Oakville
Wow mobile is the cheapest place to go right now. It's currently $0 on tab large with a $100 prepaid visa card. Go there, sign up on a tab large plan, go home and cancel as soon as you get home. Total cost = $504 for the large tab, $15 for a sim card, minus $100 for the prepaid visa (which you can use to pay off your final/only Koodo bill. Presuming you cancel same day, you should get away with either $0 or a very small pro-rated amount for a single day's service. You could also trade in an old junker phone for $50 and use that towards the cost of the sim card, and then like a case or a charger or whatever for the rest of the balance if you want (you can only use that trade in credit towards an upfront cost on the phone or other stuff in-store, not towards the tab balance unfortunately - and on tab medium and tab small, the overall cost of the phone is $560 so you're not saving anything by going that route and trying to use the trade-in towards the cost of the phone.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Mar 25, 2006
700 posts
133 upvotes
Hamilton
wearysky wrote: Wow mobile is the cheapest place to go right now. It's currently $0 on tab large with a $100 prepaid visa card. Go there, sign up on a tab large plan, go home and cancel as soon as you get home. Total cost = $504 for the large tab, $15 for a sim card, minus $100 for the prepaid visa (which you can use to pay off your final/only Koodo bill. Presuming you cancel same day, you should get away with either $0 or a very small pro-rated amount for a single day's service. You could also trade in an old junker phone for $50 and use that towards the cost of the sim card, and then like a case or a charger or whatever for the rest of the balance if you want (you can only use that trade in credit towards an upfront cost on the phone or other stuff in-store, not towards the tab balance unfortunately - and on tab medium and tab small, the overall cost of the phone is $560 so you're not saving anything by going that route and trying to use the trade-in towards the cost of the phone.
are the S8's unlocked that wow mobile sells? Planning on using this with a 3GB Fido Plan.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18985 posts
8604 upvotes
Oakville
oncl0ud9 wrote: are the S8's unlocked that wow mobile sells? Planning on using this with a 3GB Fido Plan.
All phones are required to be sold unlocked.
Mar 25, 2006
700 posts
133 upvotes
Hamilton
wearysky wrote: All phones are required to be sold unlocked.
Could I port out to a Bell prepaid card instead of calling in and cancelling? Whats the best way of cancelling?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18985 posts
8604 upvotes
Oakville
oncl0ud9 wrote: Could I port out to a Bell prepaid card instead of calling in and cancelling? Whats the best way of cancelling?
You could, if you want. IMO there's not much benefit to porting out, unless you've already got the Bell sim sitting in a drawer ready to go.
Mar 25, 2006
700 posts
133 upvotes
Hamilton
do you have to call Koodo to cancel or can you do it online? I am an exisiting Koodo customer I will be creating a new line. Will that cause any issues?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18985 posts
8604 upvotes
Oakville
oncl0ud9 wrote: do you have to call Koodo to cancel or can you do it online? I am an exisiting Koodo customer I will be creating a new line. Will that cause any issues?
You have to either call or port the number out to a different provider, but no it won't cause any issues as an existing customer. In fact, it saves you a credit hit because you're adding a line to an existing account.
Mar 25, 2006
700 posts
133 upvotes
Hamilton
do you get some sort of cancellation confirmation from koodo and is that when you pay off your tab?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8215 posts
4773 upvotes
Kootenays
oncl0ud9 wrote: do you get some sort of cancellation confirmation from koodo and is that when you pay off your tab?
You should get a final bill about 1 month after you cancel, which will include the tab. Mine was supposed to be mailed out, but when I didn't receive it after 6 weeks, I called and got the total and paid.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18985 posts
8604 upvotes
Oakville
oncl0ud9 wrote: do you get some sort of cancellation confirmation from koodo and is that when you pay off your tab?
smacd wrote: You should get a final bill about 1 month after you cancel, which will include the tab. Mine was supposed to be mailed out, but when I didn't receive it after 6 weeks, I called and got the total and paid.
This is why you should make sure you're signed up for a self service account before you cancel. You can see your account balance in there. They *never* mail out the final bill, even when they say they will.
Mar 25, 2006
700 posts
133 upvotes
Hamilton
could I use a speakout account to port into from koodo as well or is bell prepaid plan the way to go?