Shopping Discussion

Best place to get the memory upgraded (only the service) in my Ideapad S340 (torx screws on the rear) ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2020 6:57 pm
[OP]
Apr 28, 2019
155 posts
136 upvotes

Best place to get the memory upgraded (only the service) in my Ideapad S340 (torx screws on the rear) ?

Bought this machine from Microsoft Store last week https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/lenov ... c1txs7wj2m

Strangely the machine shows 'Total Physical Memory (5.94 GB)' to be less than 'Installed Physical Memory (8 GB)', on running msinfo32. Checked with Crucial Scan (exe from Crucial site), it shows 2 x 4GB installed (i.e. no free memory slots). I'd like to replace one RAM with Crucial 8GB DDR4 2400 I have, but couldn't progress beyond 3 of 10 torx screws on the laptop-rear.

Any suggestions on where I can get the upgrade service done in neat manner. I got all ready with ESD Wrist Strap and all, but torx screws were such a bummer :/

Thank you.
Public Mobile | Tangerine | HP Instant Ink
19 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4268 posts
3698 upvotes
Toronto
It sounds like you know what you're doing, so why not just buy a torx bit/screwdriver set? If you don't want to wait for shipping from China or Amazon, here's one at Canadian Tire that's on sale for $14 that also has torx security screws:

LINK

Generally, once you get the cover off, it's easy to replace the RAM. It makes more sense to pay $14 and have the bits for future use than pay someone for such an easy job.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2328 posts
920 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like 2 gb is shared with the onboard video card. I'm surprised that it's using torx screws. If you swap out 1 ram chip your computer won't be using dual channel mode. I'm unsure how much slower it might be. Maybe it won't even be noticeable to you? I remember swapping out my memory to use dual channel. I didn't notice a difference for my everyday use (not gaming).
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Apr 28, 2019
155 posts
136 upvotes
jm1 wrote: It sounds like you know what you're doing, so why not just buy a torx bit/screwdriver set? If you don't want to wait for shipping from China or Amazon, here's one at Canadian Tire that's on sale for $14 that also has torx security screws:

LINK

Generally, once you get the cover off, it's easy to replace the RAM. It makes more sense to pay $14 and have the bits for future use than pay someone for such an easy job.
Thanks, I agree with you that it's simple after removing the cover, just recently upgraded memory in ThinkPad T480.

This IdeaPad torx doesn't seem easy. I indeed used driver (though bought cheap, off ebay) which had about 6 Torx variants, and with it only managed to unscrew 3 of 10.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/31-in-1-Precisi ... 3083889926

I'll check the CT one. I'm just afraid that I'll spoil (strip) the screws and leave scratches around, if I ain't using the right-driver or doing it the 'right way', like pros.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2328 posts
920 upvotes
Toronto
balaca wrote: This IdeaPad torx doesn't seem easy. I indeed used driver (though bought cheap, off ebay) which had about 6 Torx variants, and with it only managed to unscrew 3 of 10.
There's a chance that you're using the wrong sized torx bit. Try the set from Canadian Tire. There are a lot of different sizes in it.

[OP]
Apr 28, 2019
155 posts
136 upvotes
ds2chan wrote: There's a chance that you're using the wrong sized torx bit.
Probable. Between the two shared above, which one would you suggest if I may ask. Outside this specific use-case, my need is minimal. Is the 12$ set(Mastercraft Security Bit Set, 61-pc) usable by itself, I think I need to buy a driver separately? Thank you.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2328 posts
920 upvotes
Toronto
balaca wrote: Probable. Between the two shared above, which one would you suggest if I may ask. Outside this specific use-case, my need is minimal. Is the 12$ set(Mastercraft Security Bit Set, 61-pc) usable by itself, I think I need to buy a driver separately? Thank you.
I would suggest the one from jm1 for $13.99. I have that set (I think it's this set). It has all just torx bits and all the sizes are there. The other set is a mix of everything.

Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4268 posts
3698 upvotes
Toronto
balaca wrote: Probable. Between the two shared above, which one would you suggest if I may ask. Outside this specific use-case, my need is minimal. Is the 12$ set(Mastercraft Security Bit Set, 61-pc) usable by itself, I think I need to buy a driver separately? Thank you.
I can't tell from the ebay listing, but since it's only six torx bits, then likely you'll encounter some torx screws that won't fit the bits, which is probably the problem you're having now. The $14 CdnTire set has every torx bit size you'll ever encounter. The other set has other bits (and much less selection of torx) that you can buy anywhere, even the dollar store.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33307 posts
7007 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I have an extensive set of torx screw drivers. If you're north of the GTA, I will be happy to help you open the cover
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2004
1360 posts
441 upvotes
my windows 10 1909 shows 7.85 total memory out of 8gb with available 1.14gb and a bunch of other virtual memory numbers and page file size on my 8th gen i5 with onboard intel 620 gpu with shared

checked my other laptop on server 2016 and the 6th gen i5 has 7.89gb total memory out of 8gb installed so something is up with yours depending on what OS and hardware you are running

ok saw your specs and i have never had an amd or amd gpu so it does stuff differently but you can get feedback from others with amd and amd gpu's to see if the memory numbers sound right :)
[OP]
Apr 28, 2019
155 posts
136 upvotes
Gee wrote: I have an extensive set of torx screw drivers. If you're north of the GTA, I will be happy to help you open the cover
Thank you for the kind gesture, fellow RFDer, appreciate it. I live in Albion/Etobicoke area and unfortunately don't have private transport.
Happy holidays to you :)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2321 upvotes
Mississauga
Gee wrote: I have an extensive set of torx screw drivers. If you're north of the GTA, I will be happy to help you open the cover
Merry Christmas. The world needs more of people like you.
[OP]
Apr 28, 2019
155 posts
136 upvotes
Interestingly, Lenovo has this tiered guidance to what customer can do (or not do) at his/her end (I didn't know this before).

CRU - Customer Replaceable Unit. FRU - Field Replaceable Unit.

For a Thinkpad T480, memory-module comes under Optional-service CRU.
https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobi ... hmm_en.pdf
ThinkPad computers contain the following types of CRUs and FRU:
– Self-service CRUs: Refer to parts that can be installed or replaced easily by customer themselves or by trained service technicians at an additional cost.
– Optional-service CRUs: Refer to parts that can be installed or replaced by customers with a greater skill level. Trained service technicians can also provide service to install or replace the parts under the type of warranty designated for the customer’s machine.
– FRUs: Refer to parts that must be installed or replaced only by trained service technicians. If customers choose to replace the FRUs by themselves, the product warranty might be affected.
For this Ideapad S340 being discussed here, it's strictly NO under both self and optional-service CRU, for all parts including the unit's lower case.
https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mo ... 201902.pdf

If you scroll-down to P34 of IdeaPad manual, even the screw-types are unique: 9 of type M2.0 x 6.5 , and 1 of type M2.0 x 3.5. It's as if to make it totally difficult for a layman to disassemble (pry-open after unscrewing doesn't appear easy either by the look of it). I'll respect that and rather speed up the machine by removing bloatware and turning off background-apps.

Thank you for all your inputs and help :)

PS: One can get detailed pdf manuals for their device, by clicking on 'Hardware Manual' under their product, on Lenovo Product Registration page.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2328 posts
920 upvotes
Toronto
balaca wrote: If you scroll-down to P34 of IdeaPad manual, even the screw-types are unique: 9 of type M2.0 x 6.5 , and 1 of type M2.0 x 3.5. It's as if to make it totally difficult for a layman to disassemble (pry-open after unscrewing doesn't appear easy either by the look of it). I'll respect that and rather speed up the machine by removing bloatware and turning off background-apps.
If the 9 means a T9 then my MasterCraft set has one. If the screw head has 6 points (like a star) then it probably is a torx screw. I don't know what else it could be.

Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15690 posts
16841 upvotes
Oakville
ds2chan wrote: If the 9 means a T9 then my MasterCraft set has one. If the screw head has 6 points (like a star) then it probably is a torx screw. I don't know what else it could be.
There are other torx-like heads, but they're less common.

Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2328 posts
920 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: There are other torx-like heads, but they're less common.

What the heck?? Why are there so many? And why is Lenovo being difficult?

Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5576 posts
2160 upvotes
Debtario
Get one of the "X in 1" precision screwdriver sets off amazon or ebay, should have just about every kind of odd bit out there.

I needed a triwing bit for the lugs on my Oris Aquis, I got this set https://www.amazon.ca/Screwdriver-Preci ... B0793SM5T3 when it was $14, same thing comes under a bunch of other brands in different colored cases at different prices.

There's even a 110 pc. version for $22 https://www.amazon.ca/Precision-Screwdr ... B07V5N4X1T

The quality was better than I expected for a cheap set, though not perfect; the bits are great, but there are minor fit/finish issues like the flex and extension shafts not being perfectly straight etc.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Nov 4, 2017
18 posts
10 upvotes
Maybe Canada Computer? I've seen people just bring their laptop to the service counter for support.