Computers & Electronics

Best place to have a Mac serviced

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 28th, 2022 2:42 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sr. Member
Sep 16, 2007
637 posts
142 upvotes
Ancaster

Best place to have a Mac serviced

Hello

My IMac is in need of some tlc. Its slow and sluggish and extremely annoying. The spinning wait cursor shows more often than not.

Is the best place the Apple Store or is there somewhere else reputable I can go?

Oh maybe there's a program online to help diagnose? I have an idea it has something to do with Chrome but I'm definitely not computer savvy enough to self diagnose.

I'm in the Ancaster/Hamilton area.

Thanks!
She/Her
11 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20676 posts
6869 upvotes
Toronto
MartinaC32 wrote: My IMac is in need of some tlc. Its slow and sluggish and extremely annoying. The spinning wait cursor shows more often than not.

Is the best place the Apple Store or is there somewhere else reputable I can go?

Oh maybe there's a program online to help diagnose? I have an idea it has something to do with Chrome but I'm definitely not computer savvy enough to self diagnose.
Which iMac, what specs, and what version of macOS? Are you running a hard drive or SSD?

About This Mac will give the details. You can find that by clicking the Apple logo in the top left corner.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 29, 2018
1899 posts
1373 upvotes
Vancouver
The easiest option is to make a New User account. That should help a ton

Apart from that, I would say reinstall the OS and get a SSD, if it is still using a traditional Hard Disk
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 10, 2007
13023 posts
4343 upvotes
Does your mac have a harddrive and not a SSD, then most likely the hdd is dying

Just find someone who can replace the drive.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
[OP]
Sr. Member
Sep 16, 2007
637 posts
142 upvotes
Ancaster
EugW wrote: Which iMac, what specs, and what version of macOS? Are you running a hard drive or SSD?

About This Mac will give the details. You can find that by clicking the Apple logo in the top left corner.
It has a 1.2 TB Fusion Drive
Images
  • IMG_5174.jpg
She/Her
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 10, 2007
13023 posts
4343 upvotes
fusion drive is just a mech drive

just swap your drive to a full ssd
MartinaC32 wrote: It has a 1.2 TB Fusion Drive
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20676 posts
6869 upvotes
Toronto
MartinaC32 wrote: It has a 1.2 TB Fusion Drive
That's likely your main problem. Those things are slow. A clean re-install of macOS would speed things up, but it would slow down again over time.
sexyj wrote: fusion drive is just a mech drive

just swap your drive to a full ssd
Technically it's two drives, one mechanical spinning drive and one SSD. Unfortunately, for the 1 TB Fusion drive in that model year, the SSD is only 24 GB. :( The 2 TB Fusion drives have a 128 GB SSD.

However, the SSD swap is fairly difficult. To get an SSD replacement done professionally, it would cost $$$. That would be the best solution, but a budget solution to consider might be to get a USB 3 SSD. @MartinaC32's iMac does have Thunderbolt, but it's Thunderbolt 2 not Thunderbolt 3, so not quite an ideal situation.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Sep 16, 2007
637 posts
142 upvotes
Ancaster
EugW wrote: That's likely your main problem. Those things are slow. A clean re-install of macOS would speed things up, but it would slow down again over time.


Technically it's two drives, one mechanical spinning drive and one SSD. Unfortunately, for the 1 TB Fusion drive in that model year, the SSD is only 24 GB. :( The 2 TB Fusion drives have a 128 GB SSD.

However, the SSD swap is fairly difficult. To get an SSD replacement done professionally, it would cost $$$. That would be the best solution, but a budget solution to consider might be to get a USB 3 SSD. @MartinaC32's iMac does have Thunderbolt, but it's Thunderbolt 2 not Thunderbolt 3, so not quite an ideal situation.
Thank you. Maybe it's time to get a new upgraded model. This has served it's purpose well over the years.
She/Her
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20676 posts
6869 upvotes
Toronto
MartinaC32 wrote: Thank you. Maybe it's time to get a new upgraded model. This has served it's purpose well over the years.
Depends on your needs and budget, and how much storage you need, but an SSD upgrade done at a legit service centre would be a few hundred bucks.

The current Apple Silicon iMacs are very nice, but unfortunately they only sell a 24" model now. The 27" iMac has been discontinued (although they still do have refurbished ones for sale). Instead, they now sell the Mac mini or Mac Studio ($$$$), plus a 27" Studio Display.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 10, 2007
13023 posts
4343 upvotes
Any reputable place should be able to upgrade your imac.

No need to upgrade the whole computer

Code: Select all

https://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/imac_27in5k_14late_hdd/iMac17-1/
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20676 posts
6869 upvotes
Toronto
I forgot to mention another potential reason to upgrade: The 2015 iMac is stuck on Monterey forever. macOS 13 Ventura does not support it.

Top