Shopping Discussion

Best place to order a laptop

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2020 7:55 am
[OP]
Aug 28, 2020
2 posts

Best place to order a laptop

Unless something comes up to change my mind, I'm planning to buy a MSI GS66 while it's on sale this weekend for game development work. It's on sale at a bunch of different retailers for the exact same price. Which do you guys recommend for best customer service/returns/experience?

Normally I would shop around for warranty prices, but I just got burnt on warranty trough Lenovo and I'd rather just bring the machine to a mechanic now.
Also in the past I'd pop into Canada Computers down the street from my house, but they have really dropped the ball on many of my friends orders the last few years and I'm reluctant to trust them for something so expensive. I'm a teacher so I would love to find a place with a teachers discount, but maybe only Apple does that?

The net is also suggesting that I purchase the laptop through a reseller so I can get some thermal pasting done. I haven't been able to find anyone like this.

Place I've found this laptop currently on sale:
  • Memory Express
  • Staples - only fancier version available
  • NewEgg
  • Canada Computers - crooks with no return policy
  • Amazon.ca - on backorder
  • Walmart - online only
  • BestBuy - only a fancier version available
  • Surplus by design (I have never heard of them)
  • the Source - on backorder
[strike]Leaning towards the first three. Staples has the benefit of having stores in Toronto where I live, but if their general service is reflected by their printing kiosk that would be a headache. [/strike] Never mind, staples isn't carrying the one i'm looking for.
Thanks, wise internet people.

(edited to update with more research into what is available at each store.)
Last edited by ameinias on Aug 30th, 2020 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14994 posts
12115 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
I’ve bought laptops & other PCs at both Best Buy & Staples in the past.
(Although for Apple & Dell products I tend to buy direct from the manufacturer)

Between Best Buy & Staples, I prefer the experience that I had at Staples

Besides getting my laptop on sale ... I also get a big pile of AirMiles during an annual Black Friday / Cyber Monday Shop The Block Promotion
Saved a ton of money between the sale, the AirMiles, and the Cash Back on my CC
Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21000 posts
14911 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ameinias wrote: I'm a teacher so I would love to find a place with a teachers discount, but maybe only Apple does that?
1. Staples usually has a teacher's discount during back-to-school. You'll need to check with them. Also it's possible the discount will exclude computers.
2. Check out the various rebate sites like Rakuten for discounts. They tend to be only 2% or 3% but that's significant on a large purchase.
3. Pay with a credit card that offers a 1-year warranty extension, ideally one that also pays 1%+ cash back.
The net is also suggesting that I purchase the laptop through a reseller so I can get some thermal pasting done. I haven't been able to find anyone like this.
Why would you need to reapply thermal paste on a new computer? (Never mind that doing so may affect your warranty.)
Leaning towards the first three. Staples has the benefit of having stores in Toronto where I live
That would be my preference from the stores on your list. Even if you order online for home delivery, Staples beats the others for speed of delivery and convenience of returns.
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Aug 28, 2020
2 posts
Staples does have a great teachers discount, but it doesn't apply to laptops sadly. Also discovered I got mixed up and Staples isn't carrying the model. Too bad, because airmiles would be great.

The Source seems like the best local place to buy, but they're on backorder for two weeks. Newegg seems to have it in stock, but I've heard they won't tell you something is on backorder until days after the order is put through.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1935 posts
1854 upvotes
Not sure if re-pasting is really necessary but if that's the case...

places can service the notebook, Memory Express and Canada Computers
places with return policy, Memory Express

Except they don't have a location in Toronto...