Cell Phones

Best plan for Canada/USA calling/roaming

  • Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2020 8:04 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 24, 2011
879 posts
441 upvotes

Best plan for Canada/USA calling/roaming

Hey guys
I just got a new job in USA, and will be commuting from home (Canada) everyday.
I'm with Rogers without any contract at $50/15GB, obviously there is roam like home stuff but it will get pricy.

I don't mind changing carrier, but would LOVE to keep my phone number, do you guys know any plans that covers both outgoing/incoming calls IN USA/CANADA?
17 replies
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 24, 2011
879 posts
441 upvotes
Oh I forgot to mention, I cant go with Freedom mobile due to signal issue.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33559 posts
7232 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Rogers offers a 25$ US package with their Infinite Business Plans. Not sure if it is available on consumer plans

Basically I get unlimited SMS and calling to the US, but it also includes unlimited ROAM Like home in the price.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 24, 2011
879 posts
441 upvotes
Gee wrote: Rogers offers a 25$ US package with their Infinite Business Plans. Not sure if it is available on consumer plans

Basically I get unlimited SMS and calling to the US, but it also includes unlimited ROAM Like home in the price.
Oh yeah?
I should find out if such thing exist with Rogers.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 24, 2011
879 posts
441 upvotes
Gee wrote: Rogers offers a 25$ US package with their Infinite Business Plans. Not sure if it is available on consumer plans

Basically I get unlimited SMS and calling to the US, but it also includes unlimited ROAM Like home in the price.
I just reached out to Rogers I dotn think they offer that package anymore... they only have $95/10gb plan at the moment otherwise roam like home
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 9, 2010
1268 posts
738 upvotes
Waterloo
Do you have a dual-sim or eSIM phone by chance? If you do you could activate a plan in the States and use both at the same time, just switch over when you cross the border.

Newer iPhones like the XR, or newer Samsungs or Pixels have eSIM functionality I think.

EDIT: but after thinking about it you might just want to bite the bullet and go with one of the Canada/US dual country plans from Rogers/Bell/Telus. They’re worse than what you have now for sure but they do have unlimited USA roaming built in which is what you need; you’re getting paid the big US bucks anyway so it may be worth investing in for simplicity.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 24, 2011
879 posts
441 upvotes
PressureBoom wrote: Do you have a dual-sim or eSIM phone by chance? If you do you could activate a plan in the States and use both at the same time, just switch over when you cross the border.

Newer iPhones like the XR, or newer Samsungs or Pixels have eSIM functionality I think.

EDIT: but after thinking about it you might just want to bite the bullet and go with one of the Canada/US dual country plans from Rogers/Bell/Telus. They’re worse than what you have now for sure but they do have unlimited USA roaming built in which is what you need; you’re getting paid the big US bucks anyway so it may be worth investing in for simplicity.
My phone is Galaxy S10+, not sure about esim, ultimately as long as I can receive call to my number in USA and call out anywhere in USA/Canada... I am happy. I was hoping to avoid get another sim, but again I don't know too much about it and how convenient it is.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 24, 2011
879 posts
441 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: How about the AT&T prepaid plan...allows roaming in Canada and US.

It is another sim card...you could forward your CDN# to the US#....but ideally use a voip as they have lower rates.

More info here:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/walmart ... 91042/184/
I saw this option, it looks VERY interesting, but my only problem with this i'm not familar with forwarding stuff, so I have to pay both CDN number and US # right?
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 24, 2011
879 posts
441 upvotes
another problem is if Canadian numbers call to AT&T number when i'm in Canada, wouldn't it consider as roaming call?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 28, 2004
21694 posts
2953 upvotes
Toronto
ESJExplorer wrote: another problem is if Canadian numbers call to AT&T number when i'm in Canada, wouldn't it consider as roaming call?
If you port your CDN# to voip and forward your CDN# to your US AT&T#, then folks can still call your CDN# and it would go to your US#.

You would have to pay for the port to voip (one time fee) and then a low fee when calls are forwarded to your US# and the call time.

I think most voip solutions are pennies by the minute for call forwarding..
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 24, 2011
879 posts
441 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: If you port your CDN# to voip and forward your CDN# to your US AT&T#, then folks can still call your CDN# and it would go to your US#.

You would have to pay for the port to voip (one time fee) and then a low fee when calls are forwarded to your US# and the call time.

I think most voip solutions are pennies by the minute for call forwarding..
How do I port my number to voip? What voip are options????
Can i port it back later to regular phone?
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 24, 2011
879 posts
441 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: If you port your CDN# to voip and forward your CDN# to your US AT&T#, then folks can still call your CDN# and it would go to your US#.

You would have to pay for the port to voip (one time fee) and then a low fee when calls are forwarded to your US# and the call time.

I think most voip solutions are pennies by the minute for call forwarding..
I just downloaded Fongo, and found I can forward number to fongo.... but if I wanna forward incoming call to Fongo to US number, wouldn't that cost money?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 28, 2004
21694 posts
2953 upvotes
Toronto
ESJExplorer wrote: How do I port my number to voip? What voip are options????
Can i port it back later to regular phone?
I think most folks like to port to voip,ms - looks like to port a # into voip.ms is free - from their website here:
https://voip.ms/en/features/overview

You can port your # back to a regular phone later....

In terms of charges, looks like you will get charged $0.02 a minute.....

voip.ms does require you to DIY - if you look at their webpage, it has pretty good instructions how on to configure. I'm not an expert since I am not using it but there are other RFDers that are.

if this sounds too complicated - then this might not be the best option for you.
Sr. Member
Jun 21, 2008
541 posts
144 upvotes
mississauga
ji2o0k wrote: I think most folks like to port to voip,ms - looks like to port a # into voip.ms is free - from their website here:
https://voip.ms/en/features/overview

You can port your # back to a regular phone later....

In terms of charges, looks like you will get charged $0.02 a minute.....

voip.ms does require you to DIY - if you look at their webpage, it has pretty good instructions how on to configure. I'm not an expert since I am not using it but there are other RFDers that are.

if this sounds too complicated - then this might not be the best option for you.
been there done that, it's a bit complicated, but you only have to do it once, then just check out if everything works to your satisfaction. i did it a while ago cause i was trying to cheap out on my cell bill, but now with public mobile meeting my needs im ok.Also rfd is full of good advice if you want to take the plunge, just be aware it's not plug and play, but once everything works you'll be amazed.Stay safe
Member
User avatar
Mar 2, 2007
252 posts
191 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
If you are traveling to the US everyday and your budget allows, the $95 Canada/US plan seems to make the most sense. You keep your number and your phone works seamlessly in both countries.
Maybe talk to loyalty/retentions and see if they are willing to offer you a discount on that plan as you would be staying with Rogers.
Sr. Member
May 29, 2017
645 posts
334 upvotes
Canada
If you need a reliable VoIP service, go with OpenPhone, they have genuine support, and service that is actually worth the money.

They have added many features over the past year and are geared towards businesses but I have been using it myself as personal line.

Features:
- iOS and Android App
- Web app that allows you to make calls/sms right from your browser and are in sync.
- Port Canadian or USA # in/port out with ease.
- Unlimited forward calls to any CA/US #....$10/month is all it takes.
- make unlimited calls and sms over WiFi / LTE using your Canadian number right from the app

If you supplement this with AT&T CA/US/MEX Plan, this is great. for <$40USD you can have all that above. (Join a multi-line discount group on AT&T Prepaid)

Fongo doesn't include unlimited calling or texting outside of Canada, SMS is I think $7/6 month or so within Canada.

However the app also has ads, and the app is not the smoothest. I used Fongo before OpenPhone came around as I didn't have any other reliable options, but this works great, I have a number that I use for everything online, except for personal things, this way my personal number never gets out there.

Top