• Jan 4th, 2021 12:13 pm
[OP]
Sep 23, 2018
96 posts
27 upvotes

Best Portuguese grilled chicken around midtown

Hi All,
I stay near Bathurst and Eglinton.
Off late I am a big fan of the grilled chicken and boiled potatoes Portuguese style. I tried it from Costa verde around Vaughn and Oakwood but wasn't pleased.

Then I visited Brasas Churrasqueira Rotisserie & Grill on Burhamthorpe.
It was amazing !!!
Priced reasonable for the quality and quantity.
Their sauces are killer !

They grill the chicken on Coal and then drown (if you wish to) it in their homemade sauce (Mild and hot).
I wouldn't mind having it once every 2 weeks but driving the distance is killer.
Someone suggested there are some places in Toronto as well. So looking for places close to midtown or nearby.
Any recommendations?

TIA ! Happy holidays!
24 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
3725 posts
1648 upvotes
Here you go OP. This is one of the most popular places in Toronto, not too far from where you are. It is located at Christie/St.Clair area.

http://www.churrasco.net
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12505 posts
7268 upvotes
Markham
There are a lot of places not far from you (go bit south and west towards Dufferin/St Clair and surrounding area)...I've tried the first place long time ago (still there so it must be OK). To be good there must be good turnover....you want the chicken ideally right off the spit.

Meta Dos Leitoes
https://goo.gl/maps/67ovNPPckfzRF6fC6

Cantanhede O Bairradino
https://goo.gl/maps/D27wrsio8SKa7hiJ9

Piri Piri Grillhouse
https://goo.gl/maps/fmzjjKthiFBWos3u6
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Sep 23, 2018
96 posts
27 upvotes
Thank you all so much, will try them out and let ya know
[OP]
Sep 23, 2018
96 posts
27 upvotes
I am not affiliated to Brasas anyway, but attaching some pictures.
I haven't ventured into the suggestions above, in person, but just checked their reviews on Yelp and google. Doesn't the chicken look dry? May be its just the pictures.
But I am attaching some pics of the grilled chicken and potatoes from Brasas.
You'd see their sauce is killer! Makes the chicken even more flavorful.

Hopefully some of the above suggestions can match this and save me a drive.
Images
  • brasas.PNG
  • brasas2.PNG
  • Brasas3.PNG
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1641 posts
1051 upvotes
Back home, there was a large community of Portuguese expats. We got spoiled with grilled sardines, prego sandwiches and poussin au piri piri ( cornish hens here). The key steps that lacks in most of the Portuguese restaurants here is the marination. Just grilling the chicken and slathering it with the piri piri sauce, doesn't impart deep flavours.

I usually drive to Ajax to go to Churasco of Portugal. If you pre-order, they will have marinated chicken, and their other dishes are great too. The owners are related to franchise owner of Ajax's Nova Era bakery, and their pastelde nata are pretty darn good too.
[OP]
Sep 23, 2018
96 posts
27 upvotes
Thanks for the new updates
I tried the Churrasco at St Clair, call it my bias, or my bad luck or just bad food. Got the chicken and potatoes.
Had to get the BBQ/ Rotisserie chicken as they do the charcoal chicken only on orders. Meat was tough and dry. Potatoes weren’t even peeled and lacked any salt or spice. Worst thing the sauces were waste. I guess store bought glass bottled sauces would be tasting better.

If any of you have any recipes of making the sauce at home I’d like to try it out myself. Was also thinking of trying to grill the chicken (split wide open) rather than a roast.

Will try the recommendations above
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1641 posts
1051 upvotes
snorkel4u wrote: Thanks for the new updates
I tried the Churrasco at St Clair, call it my bias, or my bad luck or just bad food. Got the chicken and potatoes.
Had to get the BBQ/ Rotisserie chicken as they do the charcoal chicken only on orders. Meat was tough and dry. Potatoes weren’t even peeled and lacked any salt or spice. Worst thing the sauces were waste. I guess store bought glass bottled sauces would be tasting better.

If any of you have any recipes of making the sauce at home I’d like to try it out myself. Was also thinking of trying to grill the chicken (split wide open) rather than a roast.

Roast one red pepper, a handful of scotch bonnets or habaneros (or real piri piri peppers if you can find them), one onion quartered, a handful of garlic cloves, all rubbed with olive oil and kosher salt. Blend with red or white wine vinegar and add a little more salt. Done. You can also either add, or substitute paprika for the red pepper, but I prefer to just add some.

Butterfly the chicken, rub with salt, melted butter and a good portion of the piri piri sauce, let marinate overnight. Grill on charcoal or broil in the oven until mostly done. Add more of sauce and heat through to get some char marks.

We use cornish hens instead of chicken.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6144 posts
2203 upvotes
snorkel4u wrote: Thanks for the new updates

I also don't think too highly of Churracso at St Clair, despite the fact they're often mentioned & praised. I like Alex Rei does Leitoes, its on Ossington, near Dundas St W. Downtown which is probably too far for OP. Been open 40 yrs, they do charcoal pit, gives a great smokey flavour. Their hot sauce is much chunkier than almost everywhere, it has real heat to it, unlike most of these other places. Place is a hole in the wall, tiny takeout only basically. Same family actually owns the restaurant next door, a nice sit-down spot (but I think that spot does not do the chicken though)
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1554 posts
916 upvotes
NOYB
Mr_Fanta wrote: ^ I'll be honest. I actually like the food from Nando's more than most of the places listed.

https://www.nandos.ca

Big fan here. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Face With Tears Of Joy oops..
I clicked on the thread, expecting to find something better than Nandos
*Zoomer + VoIP.ms user*

🖕 to the self righteous double standard fascist POS on this forum.
Jun 11, 2019
174 posts
143 upvotes
North York, Toronto
Isn't Nandos originally from Jo'burg? It's the sort of Portuguese restaurant I take my gramps.. Sufficiently bland. Their pita and livers are decent though.

Random - anyone remember Dupont chicken? That, was proper good chicken.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6144 posts
2203 upvotes
striderKan wrote: Isn't Nandos originally from Jo'burg? It's the sort of Portuguese restaurant I take my gramps.. Sufficiently bland. Their pita and livers are decent though.

Random - anyone remember Dupont chicken? That, was proper good chicken.
Dupont chicken FTW. I agree about Nando's, its basically kind of like when people take their grandparents to Mandarin for Chinese food. My parents love Mandarin btw, but that's how I feel lol