Best Poutine in Montreal?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2019 11:38 am
Tags:
May 14, 2019
9 posts
1 upvote

Best Poutine in Montreal?

Hello everyone, I have a relatively serious culinary question for the locals!

Long story short, my partner and I love to eat while traveling, and our next destination is Quebec, mainly Montreal. Naturally, we want to indulge in the local delicacy, Poutine, in its full glory, so we're collecting some info about the best places for it. However, since we won't have time to visit many restaurants, we're a bit divided about the best one...

TripAdvisor suggests Montreal Poutine as the best place for it, but with a cumulative grade of 3.5, I'm not very convinced... After searching a bit further, I noticed that this website Taste Atlas suggests Casse-Croute La Banquise as the best place for Poutine...

So, I'd like to know if any of these places (or any other, naturally) are recommended by you or can be considered as the best places for the real deal Poutine. Thanks! :)
17 replies
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17374 upvotes
Markham
iliketoeat wrote: La Banquise
+1 for La Banquise - It's where I go every time I'm in Montreal.

Ma Poule Mouille across the street (fantastic portuguese chicken) also makes a good Portuguese poutine (portuguese roast chicken, chorizo, cheese curds and spicy sauce
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Nov 23, 2008
382 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto
Another vote for La Banquise.

Chez Claudette was also pretty good.
May 14, 2019
9 posts
1 upvote
Thank you all, I see that La Banquise is pretty much the favorite, so it goes to the top of the list for sure!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
4549 posts
2623 upvotes
Another vote for La Banquise. I ordered 2 large smoked meat poutines a couple of weekends ago and brought them back to Toronto and they still tasted fantastic. Their combination of cheese, smoked meat and gravy was heavenly.
Jul 20, 2014
902 posts
213 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
So I went to La Banquise last week, Im not a big fan of poutine, but I wanted to try it. So I went there, was a little line up, was pretty excited to try it. Was the worst food I have had in my 22 years of living, osmows is 100x better.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
6484 posts
2389 upvotes
Mississauga
nyznyz wrote: Thank you all, I see that La Banquise is pretty much the favorite, so it goes to the top of the list for sure!
i enjoy the toppings at la banquise... but i find the fries... average ..
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
Ducky wrote: i enjoy the toppings at la banquise... but i find the fries... average ..
I haven't been there but I'm very picky about fries (has to be fried just right, just the right amount of crispiness and the right amound of softness, and not overly hard or overdone). What would the fries at this place be comparable too?
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Mar 1, 2018
16 posts
13 upvotes
Depends what kind of poutine you want. If you want a regular poutine with only fries, cheese and gravy, I would recommend either Chez Claudette or Greenspot. If you want some crazy toppings on top of your poutine, then la banquise would be the place to go. La banquise has good poutine but theres better places with no lineup if you just want to eat a normal poutine.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7135 posts
3737 upvotes
Montreal
La Banquise is a tourist attraction with a lot of variations of poutine. It's not a bad place by any means, it's just certainly not the best place.

@BanHorsePlague has some good suggestions with Chez Claudette and Greenspot. Poutineville is good too. I even like Montreal Poutine - their rating is more due to poor service and high prices but the poutine is decent. Call me simple, but my go-to poutine place is any Belle Province restaurant (they're all over the city).
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
First question: you want a classic poutine or stuff in it? Places like La Banquise mostly thrive on having a large variety of poutines with various meats/veggies in them, but if you want a straight up fries+cheese+gravy, there's better places IMO. Kind of like how in NY there's places with really good pizzas with all kinds of toppings but also places that just do cheese (or maybe pepperoni) pizzas that are iconic.

I'm partial to the following places:
- Greenspot
- Orange Julep
- Montreal Pool Room (although this is more of a post 3am place for me)
Jan 15, 2007
307 posts
63 upvotes
Even though they are know for the foie gras version, the normal poutine at Au Pied Du Cochon was by far the poutine I have enjoyed the most.
Sep 15, 2003
448 posts
517 upvotes
Toronto

Bon Apetit reviews 11 poutines in Montreal.

Green Spot
Paul Patates
Poutine Lafleur
La Banquise
Patati Patata
Chez Claudette
Le Roi du Smoked Meat
La Belle Province
Au Pied de Cochon
Chez Tousignant
Montreal Pool Room
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
BanHorsePlague wrote: Depends what kind of poutine you want. If you want a regular poutine with only fries, cheese and gravy, I would recommend either Chez Claudette or Greenspot. If you want some crazy toppings on top of your poutine, then la banquise would be the place to go. La banquise has good poutine but theres better places with no lineup if you just want to eat a normal poutine.
I like just cheese and gravy on mine, so I guess I will give La Banquise a miss.
Feb 23, 2011
242 posts
287 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
bruenor9 wrote: So I went to La Banquise last week, Im not a big fan of poutine, but I wanted to try it. So I went there, was a little line up, was pretty excited to try it. Was the worst food I have had in my 22 years of living, osmows is 100x better.
i think my soul just died a little when i read Osmow's

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)