• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2020 1:15 pm
[OP]
Jan 13, 2017
345 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto

Best prepaid Mobile phone service to port and save an old number I have

What is the Best prepaid Mobile phone service to port and save an old number I have, and want to keep.

I won't be using the line at all,.other than to save the number. Who is best?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3027 posts
2005 upvotes
Canadia
Public Mobile is $15/month. You could also port the number for free to VOIP.ms and pay about $1/month to keep it parked.

There's no real reason that you have to park the number with a mobile phone company.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
7641 posts
8334 upvotes
Vancouver
Fongo is $25 one time fee. No cost after, but you do need to make a (free) outgoing call every month or so to keep it active. You can do this from anywhere in the world where you have WiFi or cellular data.

There’s also number barn for phone number parking.
Dec 28, 2019
25 posts
10 upvotes
Speakout wireless. A $25 topup is valid for 365 days.
[OP]
Jan 13, 2017
345 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto
bdl999 wrote: Speakout wireless. A $25 topup is valid for 365 days.
Do I have to pay monthly $25 to keep the service active. or is it like prepaid, pay $10 or $25, and its good gor 30 days?
Dec 28, 2019
25 posts
10 upvotes
rendered22 wrote: That sounds great, and they use Rogers network?

Where can I get a SIM card? Any places that offer free sims?
They run on Roger's network. You can get a sim card at a 7-11 store or online. I think it's $10.
Sometimes they have a promo for a free sim card with a $100 topup.
Mar 7, 2006
56 posts
60 upvotes
rendered22 wrote: That sounds great, and they use Rogers network?

Where can I get a SIM card? Any places that offer free sims?
Until Mar 3, free SIM with $35 or greater SpeakOut top up purchase.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19038 posts
11901 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Kiraly wrote: Fongo is $25 one time fee. No cost after, but you do need to make a (free) outgoing call every month or so to keep it active. You can do this from anywhere in the world where you have WiFi or cellular data.
According to Fongo the $25 porting fee also prevents your number from "expiring." Fongo Account Inactivity & Deletion Policy ("Accounts will not be deleted due to inactivity if they have one of the following:... A number Ported to Fongo from another carrier")
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
7641 posts
8334 upvotes
Vancouver
bylo wrote: According to Fongo the $25 porting fee also prevents your number from "expiring." Fongo Account Inactivity & Deletion Policy ("Accounts will not be deleted due to inactivity if they have one of the following:... A number Ported to Fongo from another carrier")
Ooh nice! Didn't know that, thx
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19038 posts
11901 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Kiraly wrote: Ooh nice! Didn't know that, thx
Even though that's their rule, I'd still try to use a Fongo number every few months just in case. I hate to discover that they'd changed their policy without notice and expired my number just when I needed to use it.
veni, vidi, Visa