Request-A-Deal

best price for a Galaxy S7? (maybe a plan too lol)

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 7th, 2017 9:37 pm
[OP]
Member
Mar 31, 2009
234 posts
195 upvotes
Soviet Canuckistan

best price for a Galaxy S7? (maybe a plan too lol)

hi all-

My excellent T-Mob LG G3 is dying after near 3 years of service on different carriers; originally Rogers.. then Wind, and now looking for a new deal and service. I have decided that the best smartphone for my needs to replace it is an S7 rather than G5/V20. Yes, I am aware that device prices will drop shortly when the Galaxy S8 is released, but I don't think I can afford to wait 3 more months to get a replacement.

My current plan is the 5Gb 'unlimited' $40 plan (pre-LTE) but after a year on 'Freedom' (cough) I am less than impressed with their service and coverage in AB/BC. So a Bell/Telus/Rogers subsidiary is probably the best bet.

1) best deal on the S7. Lowest out-of-pocket cost would be best.
2) Service plan that is no more than $50/mo, even if there's a smaller data package. Wifi is everywhere these days.

Rogers revoked my 6Gb 'iPhone plan' after being grandfathered 7 years and that was the final straw for them. But that volume of data really isn't a necessity anymore, I'd rather pay less upfront and leave my wifi on 24/7.

Any ideas?
13 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 9, 2014
1422 posts
4453 upvotes
Toronto
If you don't mind buying used, I've seen used S7's (in mint, like new condition) for $500 and Edge's around $600. Take a look at the BST forum and if I were you I would avoid Kijiji.
Newbie
Jan 16, 2017
46 posts
9 upvotes
The S8 will be coming out soon, so that will push down the prices, or you might just want to wait for the S8 (as you will get updates for a longer period versus buying a s7 now).
[OP]
Member
Mar 31, 2009
234 posts
195 upvotes
Soviet Canuckistan
AmRando wrote: Yes, I am aware that device prices will drop shortly when the Galaxy S8 is released, but I don't think I can afford to wait 3 more months to get a replacement.
Painki11er wrote: The S8 will be coming out soon, so that will push down the prices, or you might just want to wait for the S8 (as you will get updates for a longer period versus buying a s7 now).

:facepalm:
[OP]
Member
Mar 31, 2009
234 posts
195 upvotes
Soviet Canuckistan
WH0WHAT wrote: If you don't mind buying used, I've seen used S7's (in mint, like new condition) for $500 and Edge's around $600. Take a look at the BST forum and if I were you I would avoid Kijiji.
Well, I don't mind a new 'used' phone, but that's nearly the full retail price so how will that save any money at all? I can buy one *brand new* unlocked for $700. Sure, it will drop more in 2-3 months but so will the subsidized-phone deals. I mean, if I get a $50 plan today + $500 phone how is that going to save me vs an S7 with a plan, which I'm seeing advertised from $0-300 already? If the plan with a phone costs less than $70, it'd still be cheaper to get the new phone with the plan for 2 years, because that'd be nominally only $480 in subsidy vs $500 up front.

BYOP is only worth it if:

A)You're swapping the phones constantly, like a car lease and only paying 'depreciation'
B) if it's significantly cheaper than a contract phone
C)You *need* a feature unavailable in a domestic phone

I have stuck with a BYOP for years simply because I didn't want to be on a Rogers contract. Being on contract would have given them excuse to revoke my grandfathered 6Gb data before the 7 years they did.
I also bought a T-Mobile phone explicitly so I could also use it on Wind after leaving Rogers(and T-Mobile while roaming), but that's no longer necessary since I know from experience Wind's coverage isn't worth it.

Do people on RFD constantly jump from carrier to carrier, porting phone numbers at the drop of a hat because CHATR beat Koodo by $3/month? Or because Fido presented a 'limited time offer'with an extra 1Gb data for 6 months? I understand the principle but that pedantic level of bargain-chasing is literally a waste of money - it's an opportunity cost on my time. If it isn't going to save me at least.. maybe $100 over a year I can't be bothered because an hour or five of my time chasing that through customer service queues every 6 months is time better spent doing something more productive. Confused Face


So to reiterate.. does anyone know of any S7 deals with a service plan that's $50/mo or less? Or apparently, that could beat $70/mo since that seems to be the cheapest total so far.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 19, 2005
3077 posts
2131 upvotes
Canadia
AmRando wrote: Do people on RFD constantly jump from carrier to carrier, porting phone numbers at the drop of a hat because CHATR beat Koodo by $3/month? Or because Fido presented a 'limited time offer'with an extra 1Gb data for 6 months? I understand the principle but that pedantic level of bargain-chasing is literally a waste of money - it's an opportunity cost on my time. If it isn't going to save me at least.. maybe $100 over a year I can't be bothered because an hour or five of my time chasing that through customer service queues every 6 months is time better spent doing something more productive. Confused Face

So to reiterate.. does anyone know of any S7 deals with a service plan that's $50/mo or less? Or apparently, that could beat $70/mo since that seems to be the cheapest total so far.
No, most RFDers don't mindlessly hop carriers. I moved to Zoomer and their $36/month 2GB plan and BYOP in 2015. I'm in my 40s so I don't need a dozen GBs of data for snaptube. I finance my own handsets.

When you factor in the referral bonus, my cost for 24 months of service *and* buying a $700 handset is about $63/month in total.
Newbie
Jan 16, 2017
46 posts
9 upvotes
AmRando wrote: :facepalm:
I replied before reading the whole post. My Bad! Even worse is I hate when others do that!

I bow my head in shame.
[OP]
Member
Mar 31, 2009
234 posts
195 upvotes
Soviet Canuckistan
Painki11er wrote: I replied before reading the whole post. My Bad! Even worse is I hate when others do that!

I bow my head in shame.
someone took responsibility for a mistake on the internet?! Face Screaming In Fear


Winking Face
[OP]
Member
Mar 31, 2009
234 posts
195 upvotes
Soviet Canuckistan
retrothing wrote: When you factor in the referral bonus, my cost for 24 months of service *and* buying a $700 handset is about $63/month in total.
It's looking that way to me. Confused Face

I do need at least 2Gb for occasional tethering, and certainly I'd like more (the gouging of our oligopoly is disgusting - see T-Mobile's 'Uncarrier' and Verizon's new 'unlimited' packages!) but I wil settle for minimizing operational cost and 'capital investment' in a new phone every 3+ years now that we've reached 'Peak Cell'.

Until getting the G3, I traded or bought a new smartphone almost every year for over 10 years, from Nokias to Androids. And almost all of these were unlocked, non-contract phones. I still remember the looks of confusion, envy, amusement or outright horror when I started using this in public:

Image

So let me refine this again: Face With Tears Of Joy

service plan: unlimited Canada-wide calling, SMS, 2-4Gb data $50/mo or better, no WIND.
phone: Galaxy S7 - the lower the better.
Last edited by AmRando on Feb 15th, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11926 posts
2904 upvotes
Durham Region
retrothing wrote: No, most RFDers don't mindlessly hop carriers. I moved to Zoomer and their $36/month 2GB plan and BYOP in 2015. I'm in my 40s so I don't need a dozen GBs of data for snaptube. I finance my own handsets.

When you factor in the referral bonus, my cost for 24 months of service *and* buying a $700 handset is about $63/month in total.
I switched to zoomer as well. Took my normal telus bill from $80.00/month down to $40.00/month. So far very good service... Still haven't managed to sell the GR5 though...
[OP]
Member
Mar 31, 2009
234 posts
195 upvotes
Soviet Canuckistan
XtremeModder wrote: I switched to zoomer as well. Took my normal telus bill from $80.00/month down to $40.00/month. So far very good service... Still haven't managed to sell the GR5 though...
I am leaning that way - the main reasons I bought a non-contract phone was specifically to avoid THE CONTRACT. But since Rogers changed their user agreements and revoked my grandfathered plan anyways, I realize there's no point in trying to either keep an existing plan or show any loyalty to a provider whatsoever. People on here claim to get special plans and discounts and treatment for loyalty, but all I ever got for literally 19 years with Rogers was abuse. Even being accused of stealing a new phone when UPS had lost it, being double-billed for it and then on top of this- credited back the lower, later price for the phone when the matter was resolved months later.

[/rant] Disappointed Face

So my experience with Rogers makes me leery of Zoomer, but if there's no 2-year contract and the price is good..
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11926 posts
2904 upvotes
Durham Region
AmRando wrote: I am leaning that way - the main reasons I bought a non-contract phone was specifically to avoid THE CONTRACT. But since Rogers changed their user agreements and revoked my grandfathered plan anyways, I realize there's no point in trying to either keep an existing plan or show any loyalty to a provider whatsoever. People on here claim to get special plans and discounts and treatment for loyalty, but all I ever got for literally 19 years with Rogers was abuse. Even being accused of stealing a new phone when UPS had lost it, being double-billed for it and then on top of this- credited back the lower, later price for the phone when the matter was resolved months later.

[/rant] Disappointed Face

So my experience with Rogers makes me leery of Zoomer, but if there's no 2-year contract and the price is good..
Yea, on top of that I paid telus the $35 to unlock my iPhone 6 Plus 64GB. I don't plan on switching to another phone for another 2-3 years as this one is good enough for me as I don't play phone games or crap like that. So while I am on a 2-year contract, I will save $960 over 2 years vs being with telus. Basically 2 years of telus for me would have been $1920, 2 years with zoomer will be $960.

$40/month for exactly what I got with telus + 200 minutes more is hilarious considering telus told me I had the best plan on the market and couldn't give me any better.
[OP]
Member
Mar 31, 2009
234 posts
195 upvotes
Soviet Canuckistan
XtremeModder wrote: $40/month for exactly what I got with telus + 200 minutes more is hilarious considering telus told me I had the best plan on the market and couldn't give me any better.
yes, it appalls me how much our cellular rates have gone up in the last 5 years. Everywhere else on earth cellular rates are FALLING, but ours just go UP! Literally- T-Mobile led the way in the US, and now Sprint and even Verizon are forced to cut rates to retain subscribers, AT&T will need to start doing so too. In the EU, greater competition and elimination of the roaming tariffs have reduced prices for consumers; in Japan KDDI and Softbank keep challenging DoCoMo's huge market share with better deals and newer phones.. almost everywhere except HERE cellular phone service and features get better for consumers.

Several years ago I worked for a company with a US subsidiary, using Verizon for their phones. At one point we put together a proposal that all staff phones in Canada be replaced with Verizon phones, as their Canadian roaming package was better and cheaper than Telus' own domestic service plan. Managers complained that it would be 'too confusing' if all employees had a WA-state area code phone.. Face With Tears Of Joy
Newbie
Aug 22, 2010
79 posts
4 upvotes
GTA
Hey OP, did you end up finding any deals? I'm currently with Wind but I'm looking to make a similar switch as you've described here.
Been using a S3 but the battery is finally giving up the ghost...

Cheers

Top