Best quality canned tomatoes?

What are you using?
Myself...

22 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13000 upvotes
You can get fire roasted at retail in Canada?
I searched like 4 grocery stores once looking for it.
May 28, 2012
11146 posts
3278 upvotes
Saskatoon
death_hawk wrote: You can get fire roasted at retail in Canada?
RCSS sells that fire roasted Muir Glen, it's in the organics pantry section. Coop also has it and it goes on sale there once in a while.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5775 posts
1092 upvotes
Toronto
I'mma look for those. Do they have whole as well?
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9245 posts
3584 upvotes
The poor man's version is Aylmer Accents Fire Roasted Tomatoes. They are a shade sweeter than the Muir Glen. I think Alymer is discontinuing this flavour because No Frills here has it for $1.24 and "4" always means blowout, and it's already gone from other stores' shelves.

Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13000 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: it's in the organics pantry section.
There's your problem.
I don't think I've ever been down that aisle.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4924 upvotes
Here 'n There
The only thing I don't like about canned tomatoes is the BPA in the can lining, which is not healthy. Ya ya I know we're all gonna die anyway and other things aren't good for you either and you can't live in a silo, blah blah blah. The objective though is to reduce your chances of become unhealthy if you can.

Having said that, all Muir Glen canned tomatoes are packed in BPA-free cans (https://www.muirglen.com/faqs/). The problem is that although they are BPA-free the chemical used in BPA-free cans as a replacement for BPA has not even been tested as much as BPA! Muir Glen offers tomatoes in glass jars but I haven't found them in the GTA. Has anyone?

I can't wait until my tomato plants mature. Then I can them in glass jars myself!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9245 posts
3584 upvotes
No,only the pasta sauce/salsa is in glass
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9502 posts
1816 upvotes
Toronto
Loblaws has 2/$7 Muir Glen in their Ontario flyer this week.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3864 posts
1740 upvotes
Mississauga
death_hawk wrote: You can get fire roasted at retail in Canada?
Any decent grocery store carries then in the Organic section. My RCSS was clearing them out for some reason last year. I bought 3 cases of diced and 2 of crushed.
Feb 2, 2014
529 posts
608 upvotes
Toronto
cRaZyRaVr wrote: What are you using?
Myself...

How much do these go for? I imagine they're pretty expensive.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4924 upvotes
Here 'n There
lecale wrote: No,only the pasta sauce/salsa is in glass
For pizza sauce I've compared using the La San Marzano strained tomatoes in glass jars vs the La San Marzano peeled tomatoes in cans which I blend with an immersion blender and the latter tastes way better on a pizza.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9245 posts
3584 upvotes
eonibm wrote: For pizza sauce I've compared using the La San Marzano strained tomatoes in glass jars vs the La San Marzano peeled tomatoes in cans which I blend with an immersion blender and the latter tastes way better on a pizza.
I believe you. Strained tomatoes, passata, paste can be made by concentrating tomato juice via reverse osmosis whereas tomatoes are, you know, tomatoes. Probably not exactly a can/glass issue and more about the ingredients.
May 28, 2012
11146 posts
3278 upvotes
Saskatoon
tjindersingh wrote: How much do these go for? I imagine they're pretty expensive.
I see $4.28 per can on the RCSS click and collect website but I've bought it for under $3 in the past.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9245 posts
3584 upvotes
eonibm wrote: I can't wait until my tomato plants mature. Then I can them in glass jars myself!
You might enjoy looking up a guy called Jon Rowley and read up on his adventures in trying to find a "perfect 10" tomato, where in this case the "10" refers to 10 degrees Brix. (Brix is a measurement of sugar content and 10 degrees Brix = 10g table sugar equivalent to 100g tomato). He found that nothing in the supermarket or farmers markets rated more than 5 Brix (and of course canned tomatoes would be worse) because they are picked early for shipping. Tomatoes are exceptionally sweet at about 14 degrees Brix, and this would come as a result of variety + vine ripening. You can get a refractomer to get Brix readings for your crop off of Aliexpress for about $30.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9462 posts
3725 upvotes
Toronto
tjindersingh wrote: How much do these go for? I imagine they're pretty expensive.
Mars2012 wrote: I see $4.28 per can on the RCSS click and collect website but I've bought it for under $3 in the past.
Amazon has them for 3.99/ can now
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9462 posts
3725 upvotes
Toronto
this one from PC is a sauce, not just tomatoes. i prefer to make my own sauce but this one looks interesting (plus, it's bottled which i prefer).

anyone give this a try?

it's going for 2.98/ bottle at RCSS
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2011
2038 posts
718 upvotes
Edmonton
ShoNuff2 wrote: this one from PC is a sauce, not just tomatoes. i prefer to make my own sauce but this one looks interesting (plus, it's bottled which i prefer).

anyone give this a try?

it's going for 2.98/ bottle at RCSS

I had one of theirs (roasted red pepper, I think) and it wasn't bad. Not overly sweet, comparable to the Classico sauces. I think they occasionally dip to $2 a bottle as well.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4924 upvotes
Here 'n There
lecale wrote: I believe you. Strained tomatoes, passata, paste can be made by concentrating tomato juice via reverse osmosis whereas tomatoes are, you know, tomatoes. Probably not exactly a can/glass issue and more about the ingredients.
Exactly and all of the pizza restos use canned tomatoes that they blend themselves. It's also a lot less expensive.