Best Ramen in Toronto?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2024 5:50 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
4158 posts
2892 upvotes
Toronto
Ya. Bushi Udon Kappo was quite good. Probably the best legit udon place Toronto has ever had. Manpuku was bad IMO (except for the price). Menami was average.

Toronto needs more of these udon places.

I think they are opening another chinese noodle place on Dundas just across from Pablo cheese tart soon.
Mar 17, 2006
738 posts
203 upvotes
Markham
Spiderpal93 wrote:
I think they are opening another chinese noodle place on Dundas just across from Pablo cheese tart soon.
It's another one of those "crossing the bridge" noodle places. So many have opened uptown in the past year.

What happened to Bushi Udon? I thought they were just relocating. That's what I remember reading on a sign there a few weeks before they actually closed (could be wrong, been a few years.)
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1662 posts
560 upvotes
Toronto
blarg wrote: Haven't tried either Japango or Ken Oh but neither focus on udon as their speciality like Manpuku or Menami. Even though the udon at Manpuku probably won't be the most amazing udon you'll ever have I find it's really good for what it is, an affordable tasty bowl of noodles and don't forget the noodle refill for $1!
Thanks for the recommendation to Menami. I just went there for Oven Baked Udon and the Nagasaki Udon. Both very good. The shrimp, squid, and scallop had good, soft textures and weren't hard and tough. Oven baked udon was nice and creamy, and the soup udon had a tasty broth. Udon texture was good too (oven baked one was slightly better than the soup one). The only down side was that the place was loud as hell.
Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus Tuf OC RTX 3090 | G.Skill Ripjaws 48GB DDR4-2666 | CM StormTrooper | 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 + NVMe 970 Pro 512GB | ASRock X99 Extreme4
| Noctua NH-D15 | ASUS PG27UQ + Dell P2715Q
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
6209 posts
3028 upvotes
Toronto
azndoughboi wrote: What happened to Bushi Udon? I thought they were just relocating. That's what I remember reading on a sign there a few weeks before they actually closed (could be wrong, been a few years.)
Long story, but try Sakawa Coffee at Jones and Danforth. The chef - Koki - is there, but no udon (boo). His partner might be opening a new shop, but they're not partners anymore.
Nov 27, 2016
80 posts
64 upvotes
booblehead wrote: Excellent write up.

If one is to look for good (not so salty) broth, I prefer Vietnamese version hands down. This, of course is another thread to talk about.
I know ramen is the trendy thing these days but I also prefer a good bowl of pho.... it's not even close for me. I like ramen as much as everyone else, but I can't stand the limited quantities of meat and the amount of pork fat/salt used.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2014
1595 posts
1983 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I know I started this thread to discuss ramen but since some folks have mentioned all sorts of dishes - what are some good pho places in and around Toronto?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21167 upvotes
Toronto
In Richmond Hill, I enjoy this one very much ... very rich flavor in their broths and their serving size is pretty decent too. (At least from my taste buds, of course). I often have their #25 or #26. I have tried only a few of their dishes thus far, will need to try out others to validate my upvote for this place. Next dish to try is their curry.

It's right beside "Fresh Burger". Corner of 16th/Leslie

http://namvietnam.ca/
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3849 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
sn00ch wrote: I know I started this thread to discuss ramen but since some folks have mentioned all sorts of dishes - what are some good pho places in and around Toronto?
For me,

Pho Con Bo - Jane and Wilson
Lac Vien - Caledonia and Cartwright (I prefer their Bun over Pho)
Que Ling - Gerrard and Boulton
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
yesnomaybe wrote: Konjiki Hototogisu, a Michelin "bib gourmand" awarded ramen stand from Tokyo, is opening in the Yonge and Sheppard area.

http://konjikiramen.com
a_t_jetto wrote: Image

Konjiki Ramen is opening their first international location outside of Japan here in North York.

Too many options these days.
"Konjiki Ramen aims to be up and running by the end of November, so... start lining up now, maybe?"
from http://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2017/10 ... n-toronto/
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2015
1759 posts
1872 upvotes
Toronto
Looked up Konjiki's prices in Japan...
850 yen is the cheapest so that's 9.5 CAD. But if it's in Toronto, it'll probably be like 14-15 CAD per bowl. I'm hoping it won't be more lol
May 7, 2008
823 posts
383 upvotes
Toronto
Any interest in sharing the long story? I still mourn Bushi Udon every time I think of it.

milhaus wrote: Long story, but try Sakawa Coffee at Jones and Danforth. The chef - Koki - is there, but no udon (boo). His partner might be opening a new shop, but they're not partners anymore.
Feb 23, 2016
50 posts
6 upvotes
Konjiki is having their soft opening today ~
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2463 posts
2595 upvotes
Toronto
vanana wrote: Konjiki is having their soft opening today ~
I was there for lunch. Opened at 11:30, pretty much packed by 12:00. Signature ramens are $14, others are $13. Cash only today as their card machine is not set up yet.
Images
  • 20171208_112937.jpg
  • 20171208_121350.jpg
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21167 upvotes
Toronto
yesnomaybe wrote: I was there for lunch. Opened at 11:30, pretty much packed by 12:00. Signature ramens are $14, others are $13. Cash only today as their card machine is not set up yet.
How did you like the food ? salty ? good soup base ? fair size for the price?
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2463 posts
2595 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote: How did you like the food ? salty ? good soup base ? fair size for the price?
I'm by no means a ramen expert. I had the signature clam broth ramen (shoyu). The broth was not too salty and was not thick. It was very drinkable. I was disappointed with the portion size as I was still hungry even after dessert. It came with two thin slices of chashu and no egg (that's $1.50 extra).
Images
  • 20171208_115741.jpg
Last edited by yesnomaybe on Dec 8th, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21167 upvotes
Toronto
Oh wow. with the premium price they are charging, that's not good.
Apr 29, 2007
41 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
MoonDoggy wrote: For me,

Pho Con Bo - Jane and Wilson
Lac Vien - Caledonia and Cartwright (I prefer their Bun over Pho)
Que Ling - Gerrard and Boulton
Never tried Lac Vien but Pho Con Bo and Que Ling are my faves as well!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
8584 posts
5369 upvotes
Had Konjiki Ramen today, broth was very different than other ramen places in Toronto (I had Shio). I think the broth is a step above most other ramen places in Toronto. Noodles had very good texture to them. Portion size to me was fine, since I workout often & I prefer not eating big portions. I don't think the portion size is small compared to other ramen places in Toronto, but the price is a little bit on the high side once you factor in the egg, which many other ramen places include as standard.

My only criticism is the high chairs are a bit rickety, & I probably weigh less than most men (my weigh fluctuates between 155-170). If you're 200 lbs then the high chair probably isn't for you. Also, overall the egg was quite tasty & most of it was cooked the way it should be at a ramen place, but it was IMO a tiny bit overcooked, though it still had mostly the consistency you would expect of ramen egg. Service was slow, to be expected I guess since its still only soft opening
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
I don't like Ramen but my friends LOVE ramen so I've been to a number of Ramen shop.

Anyhow, when you are eating ramen you are suppose to make the "slurring" noodle/soup eating sound.

LOUDLY and proudly make the sound because that is the correct way to eat it, according to Naurto anyways. Don't quietly eat your Ramen that's the WRONG way.