• Last Updated:
  • Mar 4th, 2021 12:27 am
Tags:
[OP]
Member
Feb 18, 2019
285 posts
706 upvotes
Toronto

Best RESP ?

Which bank or institution would you suggest for RESP? Which has the lowest fees?
17 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 11, 2014
4452 posts
5207 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Whatever you do avoid group RESPs.

NEVER USE:
Knowledge First
Canadian Scholarship Trust Spark (CST Advantage)**
Global
Kaleido

Also avoid insurance company plans that utilize segregated funds like:

iA Diploma
Manulife Segregated Fund RESP

**NOTE CST Spark is CST's newest product with not as much contract issues. But after looking at the management of the fund, it is still fairly expensive, so I would still put this as not recommended. Additionally, we should not be supporting a company that is still selling the atrocious Advantage plan.
Last edited by xgbsSS on Mar 3rd, 2021 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $6600/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sask-pen ... ns-2167222
Member
Oct 27, 2012
461 posts
243 upvotes
You can use some brokerages too. I have our RESP with Questrade and there are no fees (assuming you meet the minimum balance throughout your accounts).
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 4, 2007
1427 posts
140 upvotes
GTA
I use td for my kids resp
.basic aggresive couch potato for them. Set it and forget it
Member
Nov 11, 2010
389 posts
91 upvotes
GTA
Open a Self Directed RESP account with any online brokerage. Most providers do not charge any account fees for RESP.

Depending on your investing philosophy, either purchase low MER ETFs or you can do a combination of ETFs and growth stocks, if you have the knowledge.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2013
2187 posts
461 upvotes
Sidney
freakoutguy wrote: Open a Self Directed RESP account with any online brokerage. Most providers do not charge any account fees for RESP.

Depending on your investing philosophy, either purchase low MER ETFs or you can do a combination of ETFs and growth stocks, if you have the knowledge.
This. Its so easy.
Member
Jun 2, 2020
415 posts
368 upvotes
V5y1v1
Another thing - if you decide you want to do an RESP with a bank and want to go with a bank’s product make sure you’re buying the “self directed” product vs the “managed” product - as an example RBC has a target eduction fund which is a diversified portfolio of stocks and bonds which changes composition as you get closer to the target date. These have a series A and a series D - same holdings but one you buy yourself and another you allow the bank to buy for you for a MER of 1% extra.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9231 posts
4511 upvotes
Markham
speeeeee wrote: I use td for my kids resp
.basic aggresive couch potato for them. Set it and forget it
What's inside aggressive couch potato, there are a few models
Also how do you invest? Dollar average?

Thanks
Member
Mar 17, 2004
447 posts
26 upvotes
Whatever brokerage or financial institution you choose, just make sure they support all available RESP grants that you are eligible for in your province. I live in BC and am eligible for the BCTESG, $1200 per child. I found that only a handful of institutions will support it.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2009
1435 posts
1106 upvotes
Ottawa
Basically just have VBAL in a self-directed account.

Wherever you do chose, just make sure they can receive the grants and automatically (some don't).
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 11, 2014
4452 posts
5207 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Since OP is in Ontario, the provincial grants aren't an issue.

For those in BC, Virtual Brokers allows free ETF purchases and supports BCTESG.
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $6600/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sask-pen ... ns-2167222
Member
Nov 26, 2016
262 posts
430 upvotes
xgbsSS wrote: Whatever you do avoid group RESPs.

NEVER USE:
Knowledge First
Canadian Scholarship Trust Spark
Global
Kaleido

Also avoid insurance company plans that utilize segregated funds like:

iA Diploma
Manulife Segregated Fund RESP
What is the downside of CST Spark? I was considering those guys.. could you please elaborate a bit?

And what's your recommendation if not these guys?
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 11, 2014
4452 posts
5207 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
mysttz wrote: What is the downside of CST Spark? I was considering those guys.. could you please elaborate a bit?

And what's your recommendation if not these guys?
Actually I assumed that CST Spark was just the new name of their terrible CST Advantage plan. Group RESPs in general are terrible propositions as you have contractual purchases of units and front-loading of fees meaning often 2 years-ish of your first deposits goes toward paying fees.

Looking at CST Spark, I still see issues here. 1.5% management fee on an ETF portfolio you can do yourself, or a roboadvisor can do for a fraction of the cost.
CST Spark is a lot better than their group RESP Advantage plan, but I still wouldn't trust it. I haven't done an overview of their Advantage plan, but I did do a summary on Knowledge First Flex which has the same issues. You can see my reply on this webpage
scared-review-after-getting-resp-knowle ... t-1822643/

For flexibility, still lower fees, your bank would likely have comparable plans. What bank are you with and I can review your options with them.

A roboadvisor will effectively do the same thing here as CST Spark but with a fee of about 0.5% where CST Spark charges 1.5%
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $6600/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sask-pen ... ns-2167222
Newbie
Jan 9, 2017
57 posts
74 upvotes
speeeeee wrote: I use td for my kids resp
.basic aggresive couch potato for them. Set it and forget it
Same here. But if I need to do it today, I will just open an account at Questrade, and buy one of the Vanguard all in one ETF. I probably will begin with VEQT, gradually switch to VGRO, VBAL, and end up with VCNS couple years before the kids going to university.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 11, 2014
4452 posts
5207 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
dropby wrote: Same here. But if I need to do it today, I will just open an account at Questrade, and buy one of the Vanguard all in one ETF. I probably will begin with VEQT, gradually switch to VGRO, VBAL, and end up with VCNS couple years before the kids going to university.
Actually in that case, I would utilize

VEQT and VAB.

Start with VEQT and slowly add more VAB each year.

Benefit:
-No selling so no commission on the sell until when your child actually needs the cash
-You can adjust slower rather than taking 20% jumps
-You don't have the issue of over- rebalancing (having the ETF reset the balance because one is too much equity vs fixed income and it unintentionally causes underperformance, this can theoretically happen)
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $6600/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sask-pen ... ns-2167222
Newbie
Jan 9, 2017
57 posts
74 upvotes
xgbsSS wrote: Actually in that case, I would utilize

VEQT and VAB.

Start with VEQT and slowly add more VAB each year.

Benefit:
-No selling so no commission on the sell until when your child actually needs the cash
-You can adjust slower rather than taking 20% jumps
-You don't have the issue of over- rebalancing (having the ETF reset the balance because one is too much equity vs fixed income and it unintentionally causes underperformance, this can theoretically happen)
Best plan.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2009
3142 posts
973 upvotes
xgbsSS wrote: Actually in that case, I would utilize

VEQT and VAB.

Start with VEQT and slowly add more VAB each year.

Benefit:
-No selling so no commission on the sell until when your child actually needs the cash
-You can adjust slower rather than taking 20% jumps
-You don't have the issue of over- rebalancing (having the ETF reset the balance because one is too much equity vs fixed income and it unintentionally causes underperformance, this can theoretically happen)
@xgbsSS I cannot decide between VT and VEQT for my daughter's RESP. VEQT/XEQT is a popular choice here. But VT seems nice as well and has lower MER even with withholding tax on dividend. I can also convert my CAD into USD using Norbert’s gambit in Questrade's RESP account tp buy VT. Any input from you will be great appreciated!
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 11, 2014
4452 posts
5207 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
braveblade wrote: @xgbsSS I cannot decide between VT and VEQT for my daughter's RESP. VEQT/XEQT is a popular choice here. But VT seems nice as well and has lower MER even with withholding tax on dividend. I can also convert my CAD into USD using Norbert’s gambit in Questrade's RESP account tp buy VT. Any input from you will be great appreciated!
Honestly the MER savings is not worth the trouble even with Norbert's Gambit, IMO. I find the whole trying to save 0.12% is not worth the effort it takes. Consider the transaction time added to servicing this. The daily fluctuation could easily affect whether you gain more or less. On $3000 (A $2500 plus $500 grant) in one year, this is $3.60 difference, in 1 year but this is assuming you didn't miss out on gains while you waited for journaling and getting the transaction done. You have seen indices move 1-2% up or down each day. That kind of MER difference would be easily eaten up by these fluctuations. That's just me though. Buying the individual components like VCN, and then XAW would also make it cheaper without that much complication?

If you are making effort to do something complicated, it needs to be worthwhile. If it was a stock that you have done research and believe it was to go up quite a bit, then to me that is something worthwhile. Chasing fragments of a percentage point> Not so much.
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $6600/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sask-pen ... ns-2167222

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

apertotes