• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2019 6:31 am
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 2, 2011
201 posts
24 upvotes

Best RESP deals?

I've searched the forums and surprisingly, not many deal threads on RESPs..... does anyone reco any RESP for best return and ones to avoid?
7 replies
Feb 26, 2011
781 posts
822 upvotes
Calgary
An RESP is just an account... no different than an RRSP or a TFSA.

For all intents (minus tax) it's no different than a regular savings or chequing account where you put your money.

I would assume your question is regarding what kind of funds to buy... in which case I would recommend none if you can't figure out what RESP means.
Best that you go find an Adviser to speak to.

Note: there is a difference between Adviser and the Advisor at the bank. Advisers are registered where as an advisor can literally be anyone who tells you stuff.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1886 posts
912 upvotes
Most people have their RESP at the same broker where they have RRSP and TFSA. RESP generally have fairly small sums for the first few years, so it's not worth opening a new account at a different financial institution where the rest of your investments are. You will be paying account maintenance fees due to having a balance below fee waiver threshold, which easily offsets whatever advantage you get from shopping around.
[OP]
Feb 2, 2011
201 posts
24 upvotes
oh ok thanks. didnt realize you could self manage it. so i'll just create in a stock brokerage..
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1749 posts
1291 upvotes
Toronto
If you want stock market eg. buying ETFs , you could try Wealthsimple Wealthsimple RESP or Questrade. I haven't used either one but they get good reviews. Hopefully some other reader here has tried them.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5275 posts
3761 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Keep in mind a lot of brokerage do not process provincial grants in a self directed RESP so you may have to open a separate account anyways.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
4616 posts
5480 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Whatever you do, avoid Group RESPs (eg. Canadian Scholarship, Heritage).

Feel free to post on the Investing Forum. We have a lot of experience in setting these up.

Questrade is good for fees, but be careful as they do not support alot of provincial grants such as the BCTESG, Saskatchewan Advantage grant. Quebec QESI is supported.

Virtual Brokers has free ETF purchasing and supports all provincial grants from what I have seen.
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $6600/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sask-pen ... ns-2167222
May 17, 2010
286 posts
175 upvotes
jwslam wrote: Note: there is a difference between Adviser and the Advisor at the bank. Advisers are registered where as an advisor can literally be anyone who tells you stuff.
There is no difference between adviser and advisor. Everybody is repeating what CBC wrongly said once in an article.

Here is the source:
https://www.iiroc.ca/investors/knowyour ... fault.aspx

There is a difference between a financial planner and everybody else though.