Careers

Best route to get into IT

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2016 3:13 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 13, 2012
26 posts
MONTREAL

Best route to get into IT

hello, everybody! i was wondering, in order to crack into the IT industry what would be the best route for me (i have a only a high school diploma). i was thinking a 3 year advance diploma program in computer systems technology(geroge brown) or a 2 year diploma in computer and network support(humber) or a 4 year info tech degree from york. im inclining towards the 2 or 3 year college programs so i can get started asap rather than go back and do high school courses to upgrade and apply. what would be better between the two 3 year or 2 year diploma? i will of course be getting certifications as well and specializing. im looking to earn at least $50,000 after 5-10 years in the biz.
33 replies
Sr. Member
Dec 26, 2005
938 posts
349 upvotes
Ottawa
Myself, I've never even gotten a highschool diploma, and doing very well for myself within the industry. I did a 1 year intensive program (4 years of learning inside of ~10 months) which also included a co-op placement and it gave me a diploma. I then also had a friend(s) in the industry that were able to get me into a pretty decent job in network security. I moved up the chain, and switched jobs a few times, and I'm doing very well for myself.
This was 13 years ago though... It's a lot more competitive now than it was back then, and I also had IT experience previous to going back to school.
You can make a lot more money than you're looking for, depending what you go into, and how much hard work you put in. For High tech, the more people you know, the better. Ottawa or Toronto is where you want to be if you're trying to make it in IT.
Definitley go to school, and take a program, or nobody will even look at you... UNLESS, you have mad a skillset already, and can back it up. Real world experience is always a major plus. I'd take a guy sitting in his moms basement for the past 10 years hacking the crap out of everything, than somebody fresh out of school. but, either way, you can make it in if you have the dedication.

..just my 2 cents :)
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
13898 posts
8993 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Get your A+ cert.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Member
Nov 19, 2011
292 posts
66 upvotes
Calgary
If your not gonna go and do a full University degree, better off doing one of the shorter ones that focus on what you want, also now and days coop programs are the way to go, getting that giddy job after school seems to be getting harder with zero experience.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
11348 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
As other have said, co-op! I did 3 years of co-op while I was in high school and it paid off as I had applied for a different job (non IT Related) however they saw my IT experience and contacted me. Years later after being a summer student in IT I'm not permanent in a great job and making a good amount & there is still room to move up.

Co-op/Experience is very important.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Temp. Banned
Dec 2, 2007
899 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
Why do you want to get into IT? It pays crap now. Don't get A certification because this material is out of dated. Thus certification doesn't boost your chance of getting aa job. I met many people who think A certification will guarantee them a job. Wrong. You should look for business degree.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 31, 2005
3352 posts
295 upvotes
Calgary
Without knowing what you want to end up doing, it's impossible to say what you should do to get there. IT is about as broad a category as it gets.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2314 upvotes
madman1611 wrote: im looking to earn at least $50,000 after 5-10 years in the biz.
If you become certified on one of the major platforms, with a major technology, Oracle, VMWare, Cisco, SalesForce, Microsoft, etc. You should be able to get 50K+ for your first job. No college diploma required, but nevertheless a diploma is very good foundation and some college programs have joint programs with these companies to offer a cert as part of the diploma.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 17, 2002
7421 posts
764 upvotes
Toronto
College + intermediate vendor certs.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 10, 2005
2030 posts
314 upvotes
Ottawa
I believe a member mentioned above that it is hard to provide advice without knowing what you would like to do as a final result. Then again, most of us never really know what we are going to end up in until the end! From the programs you mentioned, it is obvious you want to do something infrastructure related, PC repair, networking, etc.... and not so much along the lines of software development. Nevertheless, if you could take the university program, that would be great, but as a definite option, I would look at taking the advanced program at George Brown. Without having to do more research, do any of these programs come with Co-op? Co-op will help you in the long run and allow you to get your "foot in the door." Attaining a position with the pay scale you seek is not impossible. Remember, you can apply for private industry as well as public. I would recommend, while you are studying, for you to looking to FSWEP (Federal Student Work Experience Program) as this program might help you obtain summer jobs as well as potential future employment.

Edit:
I would also add, as mentioned earlier, that you should be studying and obtaining certifications as you progress. The program I attended at Algonquin College pretty much paved the way to be able to obtain your CompTIA A+ within the first four months of the program. The path you choose for certs is your choice, but make sure you take a step back to look at what the industry wants you to have.
RFD 15 73H 1337
Sr. Member
Jan 28, 2007
876 posts
68 upvotes
picard12 wrote: Why do you want to get into IT? It pays crap now. Don't get A certification because this material is out of dated. Thus certification doesn't boost your chance of getting aa job. I met many people who think A certification will guarantee them a job. Wrong. You should look for business degree.
And business pays like crap/has no job for you too unless you got into some star university and manage a stellar GPA+internships.

The grass is always greener.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 31, 2005
3352 posts
295 upvotes
Calgary
picard12 wrote: Why do you want to get into IT? It pays crap now. Don't get A certification because this material is out of dated. Thus certification doesn't boost your chance of getting aa job. I met many people who think A certification will guarantee them a job. Wrong. You should look for business degree.
1. "IT" is a really broad category that, like most, has positions that pay really well and some that are really bad.

2. "Business Degree" is also a really broad category. Perhaps you could provide specific examples since you are so sure.

3. There are way more certifications than A+, and some of them do actually increase your chance of getting a job. Perhaps you're not meeting the right people?

4. Poor English skills that show through in posts really make it hard to take someone seriously. Especially with such absolute unsupported statements.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7625 posts
5135 upvotes
Canada
TotallyKiller wrote:
3. There are way more certifications than A+, and some of them do actually increase your chance of getting a job.
Example?
Member
Sep 1, 2013
403 posts
96 upvotes
TotallyKiller wrote: 1. "IT" is a really broad category that, like most, has positions that pay really well and some that are really bad.

2. "Business Degree" is also a really broad category. Perhaps you could provide specific examples since you are so sure.

3. There are way more certifications than A+, and some of them do actually increase your chance of getting a job. Perhaps you're not meeting the right people?

4. Poor English skills that show through in posts really make it hard to take someone seriously. Especially with such absolute unsupported statements.
Except that you took him so seriously as to address each of his "clauses" into sentences of 2x the length and 4x the height.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 13, 2014
4267 posts
1693 upvotes
Parry Sound
College + co-op + certifications

or university + certifications

Either way, you need certifications to move up in IT. To get your foot in the door you'll have to work in a technical support call centre or help desk environment. I don't know of anyone who jumped right into a junior role without first starting at the very bottom (except for a handful of university graduates).
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 13, 2014
4267 posts
1693 upvotes
Parry Sound
picard12 wrote: Why do you want to get into IT? It pays crap now. Don't get A certification because this material is out of dated. Thus certification doesn't boost your chance of getting aa job. I met many people who think A certification will guarantee them a job. Wrong. You should look for business degree.
100% false information. Do not listen to this guy.

IT is very broad. You can be in network security engineer or you can be in a technical support call center role. Obviously if you're at the bottom your pay will be crap.

Also don't listen to him about the certifications. Even A+ can be useful depending on which route in IT you want to head down. A+ is also an expiring certification now so things are not out of date. You will have to continuously update your knowledge and skills (this goes for all of IT).

A+ will not guarantee you a job. No certification, diploma, or degree with guarantee you a job. The only thing that will guarantee you a job is timing, opportunity, knowledge/skills, and hard work. Also, these days, luck and networking play a big role as well.

Certifications do give you an upper hand, though.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7625 posts
5135 upvotes
Canada
MayorOfToronto wrote: 100% false information. Do not listen to this guy.

IT is very broad. You can be in network security engineer or you can be in a technical support call center role. Obviously if you're at the bottom your pay will be crap.

Also don't listen to him about the certifications. Even A+ can be useful depending on which route in IT you want to head down. A+ is also an expiring certification now so things are not out of date. You will have to continuously update your knowledge and skills (this goes for all of IT).

A+ will not guarantee you a job. No certification, diploma, or degree with guarantee you a job. The only thing that will guarantee you a job is timing, opportunity, knowledge/skills, and hard work. Also, these days, luck and networking play a big role as well.

Certifications do give you an upper hand, though.
Which certs do you recommend for new grad looking into help desk/tech support jobs? I think A+ requires some industry experience and may not be suitable for a fresh grad
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 27, 2003
825 posts
187 upvotes
Earth
iHateShaw wrote: Which certs do you recommend for new grad looking into help desk/tech support jobs? I think A+ requires some industry experience and may not be suitable for a fresh grad
CompTIA A+ covers a little bit of everything. It's the de facto cert for anyone starting in IT

Top