• Last Updated:
  • Mar 9th, 2020 4:27 pm
[OP]
Mar 2, 2020
2 posts
1 upvote

Best Route - Kitchener to Daytona Beach

Hi Everyone!

Just wondering if someone could let me know the best route from Kitchener, Ontario Canada to Daytona Beach. I'll be riding on the motorcycle. Did the ride almost 10 years ago and definitely cant remember the route I took. I do remember though I went through Pennsylvania , NC, SC. Also if you could recommend any hotels in Daytona at a reasonable rate as well.

Thanks!
Dee
6 replies
Nov 6, 2014
675 posts
1009 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Download the Android or iOS app Waze....its the BEST!
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15675 posts
4735 upvotes
London
LongLgs wrote: Hi Everyone!

Just wondering if someone could let me know the best route from Kitchener, Ontario Canada to Daytona Beach. I'll be riding on the motorcycle. Did the ride almost 10 years ago and definitely cant remember the route I took. I do remember though I went through Pennsylvania , NC, SC. Also if you could recommend any hotels in Daytona at a reasonable rate as well.

Thanks!

Dee
Assuming you want the scenic routes, not the interstate?

https://maps.harley-davidson.com/

look through their scenic rides

https://www.tripit.com/web/blog/2015/04 ... sites.html
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8525 posts
2307 upvotes
Mississauga
If you have CAA they will provide you with many options on routes and speed traps. If you dont have CAA it might be a wise investment.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15118 posts
12197 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Hi @LongLgs
See this is your first post ... so welcome to the RFD Forums

Hard to know which route you took in the past ... cuz Pennsylvania and The Carolina’s are some of the biggest states between you in Kitchener & Daytona in Florida.

The shortest route according to Google Maps would be ... I-90 West to I-79 SOuth which will take you close to Pittsburgh, and south as far as Canfield, West Virginia ... where you’ll need to head out cross country on Hwy 19 until you meet up with I-64 / I-77 around Prosperity, WV. Then it’s a pretty straight forward run on I-77 to Columbia NC, where you’ll meet up with I-26 that runs east to the coast ... about half way ... you’ll find the I-95 running south

I’ve done all of these Interstates in the last year ... and was a piece of cake ... except for heavy traffic & construction we encountered going thru Charlotte NC. We noticed they had Pay By Plate Express Lanes in Charlotte ... so good if you already have a Transponder that their system accepts ( https://www.ncquickpass.com/rates-facil ... lanes.aspx ) or just willing to take your chances as a Cdn Tourist ... some states will send you a bill / others don’t bother (it’s a game of Russian roulette)

This is the shortest routing ... about 2000 Kms and 19 Hours Driving Time

There are of course other alternatives ... some better than others, a lot depends on the time of year etc

Interstates are good if you are in a hurry ... but they aren’t very scenic. When we travel we try to do a mix of both Interstate and local highways & byways ... getting off of / away from the beaten path

So gotta agree with @GangStarr if you are going by bike ... you might want to check out Deals Gap ... and US 129 between Tennessee and NC that winds it’s way thru the Great Smokey Mountains / Appalachian Chain. This road is nicknamed Tail of the Dragon, and worth the detour, if you have the time

As for hotels in Daytona...

There are tons. And every chain imaginable.

We are members of every Hotel Loyalty Program out there ... but most often end up staying at Hilton’s cuz of their great perks and easy to earn & use points (Points for Cash Bookings).

There are several Hilton Properties in Daytona ... all quite nice. Including a Hampton Inn & a Garden Inn which have both undergone a refresh recently. And both are right on the ocean ... with beach access, pools & patios, and outdoor bars etc

Daytona Beach isn’t cheap this time a year ... and will stay high now thru to November. It will spike ridiculously during major events ... like Daytona Speedway, Spring Break, Bike Week, Easter, 4th of July etc

So if your plan is to do this trip ... you need to be looking for hotel accommodations as soon as you nail down your dates. Cuz prices will go up as availability goes down.

SIDE TRIPS... other places / things worth the detour (if you have the time)
* Parts of A1A that cruise along the ocean
* Historic St Augustine
* TPC Sawgrass
* World Golf Hall of Fame
* Any of the Sea Islands ... in Florida our favourite is definitely Amelia Island & the town of Fernandina Beach
(But all the islands in the SE Lowlands are great = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Islands )
[OP]
Mar 2, 2020
2 posts
1 upvote
Thanks PointsHubby for all the info. We are actuallty taking off on 26th of June for Daytona for two weeks then. I tentatively booked a room already because I was coming across that the dates we are heading to Daytona were filling up fast.