Computers & Electronics

Best router for cloud gaming with Wifi?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2021 3:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 18, 2012
9960 posts
4686 upvotes
Toronto

Best router for cloud gaming with Wifi?

What's the best router for Wifi cloud gaming on the market, but also a good deal $$? I was looking for an open source one also, possibly. The Asus ones look pretty good, but I want the best latency. With open source I want one where I can limit the speed and other stuff in real time, to simulate a poor connection for cloud games, doing cloud game testing and benchmarking for my channels.

Connecting to my cable modem with wifi is terrible... I replaced the modem and it only got slightly better. The speed is great, but the farther I am from it the worse the latency gets, especially with the Xbox app. I have to be physically next to it for the best connection, or use USB Ethernet OTG connection on my phone.
5 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
11815 posts
3472 upvotes
Ontario
This is a great router - https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-Ser ... /RT-AX82U/

However if you want the best connection possible then you need to run Cat6 from your modem/router to your computer, wireless will be worse regardless of what router you get. Even if you need to run a cat6 cable outside then back inside where the computer is i would do that if you want the BEST possible connection.
ManCaveGamer wrote: What's the best router for Wifi cloud gaming on the market, but also a good deal $$? I was looking for an open source one also, possibly. The Asus ones look pretty good, but I want the best latency. With open source I want one where I can limit the speed and other stuff in real time, to simulate a poor connection for cloud games, doing cloud game testing and benchmarking for my channels.

Connecting to my cable modem with wifi is terrible... I replaced the modem and it only got slightly better. The speed is great, but the farther I am from it the worse the latency gets, especially with the Xbox app. I have to be physically next to it for the best connection, or use USB Ethernet OTG connection on my phone.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
10677 posts
3078 upvotes
Winnipeg
cloud gaiming needs 100mbps or better. So fiber at gigabit for price would be the best and cheapest option. But Only openwrt based x86 can traffic shape and lowering latency@gigabi rates. SQM layer_cake or piece_of_cake is the best traffic shaping to limit bufferbloat(lower latency) and its not available for asus based firmwares.

+500 mbps you need atleast a high clocked quadcore arm 8 based soc atleast to do it. An rp4 can do it with a gigabit adapter for example.But you need a switch for extra ports when you use an sbc like an rpi4. If you could find a openwrt supported high clocked quadcore arm8 soc it could work too upto 500mbps.

Oh you can never game with wifi and eliminate latency. wifi adds atleast 20 ms no matter what you do and only gets worse with distance and worse with more wifi clients. ethernet is like 1 ms so always run cord.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 18, 2012
9960 posts
4686 upvotes
Toronto
lead wrote: cloud gaiming needs 100mbps or better. So fiber at gigabit for price would be the best and cheapest option. But Only openwrt based x86 can traffic shape and lowering latency@gigabi rates. SQM layer_cake or piece_of_cake is the best traffic shaping to limit bufferbloat(lower latency) and its not available for asus based firmwares.

+500 mbps you need atleast a high clocked quadcore arm 8 based soc atleast to do it. An rp4 can do it with a gigabit adapter for example.But you need a switch for extra ports when you use an sbc like an rpi4. If you could find a openwrt supported high clocked quadcore arm8 soc it could work too upto 500mbps.

Oh you can never game with wifi and eliminate latency. wifi adds atleast 20 ms no matter what you do and only gets worse with distance and worse with more wifi clients. ethernet is like 1 ms so always run cord.
I'm actually paid for reviewing some cloud services on an Android device so it needs to be Wifi. Any example routers? Thanks!!
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
10677 posts
3078 upvotes
Winnipeg
ManCaveGamer wrote: I'm actually paid for reviewing some cloud services on an Android device so it needs to be Wifi. Any example routers? Thanks!!
Most if not all ax routers sold today. Its not by coincidence that they all use dual or quadcore a53 socs. That's because they all offer some form of traffic shaping and it takes a more powerful cpu to fight client congestion.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 18, 2012
9960 posts
4686 upvotes
Toronto
I settled with a used asus AC86U off someone thanks

Top