• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2018 8:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1080 upvotes

Best seasoning Brand

What brand of seasonings do you guys use?
Like the premixed blends not salt/ pepper

La grille was $5 for a tiny shaker. I’d go through that in less than a month.

Anyone have recommendations for brands with huge containers that have a lot of variety? And a seasoning that works for everything?

It could just be because my Walmart doesn’t have the big containers. I remember buying them before but I can’t remeber from where.
They had huge keg seasonings a couple weeks ago but it’s gone
24 replies
May 28, 2012
11695 posts
4238 upvotes
Saskatoon
RCSS has the large Keg steak spice containers. I bought it on sale there a few weeks back. Costco had it briefly...I think I like it better than the Montreal Steak spice from Club House. If you can get to a Trader Joes in the States, they have some really nice spice blends and they are super cheap (I've tried the Everyday Seasoning blend and the 21 Seasoning Salute).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1080 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: RCSS has the large Keg steak spice containers. I bought it on sale there a few weeks back. Costco had it briefly...I think I like it better than the Montreal Steak spice from Club House. If you can get to a Trader Joes in the States, they have some really nice spice blends and they are super cheap (I've tried the Everyday Seasoning blend and the 21 Seasoning Salute).
Thanks! I’ll try the keg Montreal steak spice. I called loblaws and they have it. It’s cheaper than clubhouse la grille too.
Loblaws has a ton of seasoning apparently, I’ll probably spend an hour there

Hm I can’t get down there but I’ll check online and read the ingredients. Maybe they make something similar in Canada

I wish Walmart made seasoning blendss
Their regular seasonings are less than half the price of everything else. They just have basic blends, great value Italian seasoning is good.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7874 posts
3742 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I got lots of La Grill last summer when they were on sale and I had some serious coupons. I think it was less than $1 for me.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Apr 4, 2012
575 posts
282 upvotes
Toronto
I get Trader joes too cause its really cheap, if i have time I'll go to Penzeys in Buffalo, hard to beat their quality. But recently noticed Amazon sells organic 365 spices as add ons, so I've been getting those. As a general spice, I've always wanted to make magic mushroom powder, but it's hard to find dried porcini mushrooms.
May 28, 2012
11695 posts
4238 upvotes
Saskatoon
nataliya64605 wrote: I get Trader joes too cause its really cheap, if i have time I'll go to Penzeys in Buffalo, hard to beat their quality. But recently noticed Amazon sells organic 365 spices as add ons, so I've been getting those. As a general spice, I've always wanted to make magic mushroom powder, but it's hard to find dried porcini mushrooms.
Costco sells a dried mushroom blend...it contains Oyster, Portobello, Black Trumpet and Porcini mushrooms. I paid around $16-17 for it. Would it be worth it to take out the porcinis to grind into powder?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1080 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: I got lots of La Grill last summer when they were on sale and I had some serious coupons. I think it was less than $1 for me.
Any suggestions? Seems like you got to try them all haha
I usually just put it on cooked food, I rarely cook
Mars2012 wrote: RCSS has the large Keg steak spice containers. I bought it on sale there a few weeks back. Costco had it briefly...I think I like it better than the Montreal Steak spice from Club House. If you can get to a Trader Joes in the States, they have some really nice spice blends and they are super cheap (I've tried the Everyday Seasoning blend and the 21 Seasoning Salute).
I was at Walmart again for something
They had keg steak seasoning and peppercorn steak seasoning
But no Montreal one. Is it the same thing as the steak seasoning?

Also anyone know a seasoning similar to pizza pizza’s Italian seasoning and sweet garlic pepper seasoning?

The sweet garlic pepper seasoning is insane. I could put that on any food. Same goes for the Italian seasoning
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7874 posts
3742 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I only got the La Grilles because of the sale + coupons. And only the no-salt ones which essentially reduced my choices to BBQ chicken, BBQ salmon and steak . If you're trying to reduce intake, these things have lo of sodium and a far number of them have MSG. Otherwise I tend to make my own spice mixes.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Dec 17, 2017
211 posts
155 upvotes
Personally flakey salt and pepper is what I use the most, but Wholesale Club which is a Loblaws foodservice store with no membership is required has great prices on large (some are giant 2kg+ bottles) of herbs and spices. They have LA Grille flavours 825g for 7.50-7.99 depending on flavour as well as Sunspun (Loblaws' food service brand like PC/No name) Montreal steak $5.97 for 750g. https://www.wholesaleclub.ca/Food/Pantr ... sPDPFlow=Y
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1080 upvotes
stacksonstacks wrote: Personally flakey salt and pepper is what I use the most, but Wholesale Club which is a Loblaws foodservice store with no membership is required has great prices on large (some are giant 2kg+ bottles) of herbs and spices. They have LA Grille flavours 825g for 7.50-7.99 depending on flavour as well as Sunspun (Loblaws' food service brand like PC/No name) Montreal steak $5.97 for 750g. https://www.wholesaleclub.ca/Food/Pantr ... sPDPFlow=Y
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7874 posts
3742 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I've only been in one of the Loblaw clubs once and it was one of the saddest places I've seen (Vernon B.C.). Even the offering were sad looking. Are they all like that?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20886 posts
5464 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
I'm a big fan of Fire in the Kitchen, a Canadian brand. They are available online and also at various grocery stores, such as Loblaws / Zehrs.

The Piri Piri rub is amazing on pork ribs. The "One Rub" is delicious on chicken, I never get tired of it. Actually I bought more One Rub today.
Just make sure you season it overnight before cooking. You will not be disappointed.
- casual gastronomist -
Apr 4, 2012
575 posts
282 upvotes
Toronto
Mars2012 wrote: Costco sells a dried mushroom blend...it contains Oyster, Portobello, Black Trumpet and Porcini mushrooms. I paid around $16-17 for it. Would it be worth it to take out the porcinis to grind into powder?
Thanks, never tried making mushroom powder seasoning before, not sure if there will be much difference between a mushroom mix and just porcini, will have to check out the Costco blend

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)