Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 20, 2011
605 posts
168 upvotes
downtown TO

best to sell to dealer or not

so im going buy new car in the next few weeks and have a 2005 tucson base model which im going to sell either private or to the dealer..i never sold private b4...car has 185k on the clock and im the second owner..car runs amazing and i just got a new alternater and battery put in 2 weeks ago and about a month ago i got tune up and new brakes and hoses done i know and dont expect to cover that cost as i was not going sell this car..question is im going to safety the car and it has clean car proof report how much could i sell this private or do the dealers give cash price
18 replies
Nov 6, 2013
36 posts
19 upvotes
Ancaster
Hey
You will always get more in a private sale than at the dealer. The dealer will try to get the lowest possible price so that they can make money reselling it.

Canadian black book is the go to reference
http://www.canadianblackbook.com/

throwing in a 2005 4 dr Gl 4cyl in that for private sale estimates about $4500 for the car...

but thats prob guessing a one owner and lower mileage, but good starting point to look at.

Good luck, it usually worth it to sell yourself if you have the time
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2644 posts
1889 upvotes
Markham
Dealers almost never give you good money on any trade-in vehicle. Considering you maintained this vehicle pretty good and done the necessary maintenance, I assume the car is in excellent shape in and out. If that's the case you can ask for top dollar(relative to other similar vehicles) on the private market. Whereas the dealer, depending on the car will either resell your vehicle themselves or send it straight to auction, as a result they ask very low. When I was just asking for a quote on my 2004 Impreza, the most my dealer was ever going to give for it was $2000 and that was assuming it was in excellent condition(nearly perfect)...I knew it was good but not that good. Even they were recommending I sell it privately because they knew it was ridiculously low and it was only a good consideration if I truly struggled to sell. I sold the car for twice that amount.

Its a completely different story if you have a poor conditioned car. Essentially a car that's not working that well, and any buyer would low ball because of notable deficiencies. My sister had to do this with her 2002 Civic, it had simply too many notable flaws be it mechanical or cosmetic to be worth the effort of selling. The amount to recondition that car to a decent level was absolutely not worth it. Amazingly the dealer's trade-in offer was reasonable considering how bad the car actually was. Its cars of this level, basically the beaten up dying beaters where trade-in is actually a good deal in your favour.
[OP]
Feb 20, 2011
605 posts
168 upvotes
downtown TO
thanks for the help guys...i will go with private sale..shud i list it below market value maybe about 3500 for quick sale as i will be picking up new car in 3 weeks and i have no need for 2 cars
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4218 posts
3142 upvotes
Markham
With respect, Canadian Black Book or whatever else book are dinosaurs from the past. Most dealers have moved on to new tools for appraisal and pricing.

For an 11 y/o car with that much mileage on it will be a bit tricky for private sale. If your new car dealer uses TradeRev, you can ask them to auction it for you on a weekend online to see how much you could get, you might be surprised with some of the offers and they might just be enough to make it worth your while, plus if you apply the value of the trade to your new car deal you will save on HST as well.

The auction is not binding (just make sure to clarify with dealer first) it also gives you a good ballpark figure for minimum $ you should expect.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5275 posts
3761 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
See what the dealership offers. They may have trade in incentives from the manufacturer, sometimes this amounts to a couple thousand more. Looks like people are selling around $3-5k, so actual take home pay probably be $2-4k. Base model gonna be on the lower end side, so the dealer may actually give you a good trade in value.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4218 posts
3142 upvotes
Markham
Gee wrote: If the dealer offered me $2500 for the car, I would take it. Saves me the hassles.
That would be like $2825 if applied as trade to the new car deal. :)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7726 posts
1607 upvotes
Is too old for most dealer I think.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
2051 posts
552 upvotes
Woodbridge
Why would you sell a car you invested so much money to it?
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30971 posts
1780 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Took my jeep to a dealer, got the same as if I tried to sell it myself with much less hassle.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35606 posts
21668 upvotes
Center of Universe
Convenience would be the only consideration for trading in.
You disclose any "known" issues, repairs or accidents and they take it as is.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15812 posts
2405 upvotes
With a dealer trade-in, you avoid the hassle of dealing with idiots, curbsiders, and being kidnapped, murdered and set on fire.
Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1168 posts
250 upvotes
OTTAWA
JAC wrote: With a dealer trade-in, you avoid the hassle of dealing with idiots, curbsiders, and being kidnapped, murdered and set on fire.
+++1
Feb 14, 2017
83 posts
39 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
When I traded in my car at the dealership, they used Canadian black book. They punched everything in front of me. I couldn't get the high on it as my car had an issue I never got checked out, but I was happy with what I got and the convenience of it.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13982 posts
8085 upvotes
Toronto
irishguy wrote: have a 2005 tucson base model which im going to sell either private or to the dealer..i never sold private b4...car has 185k on the clock and im the second owner..car runs amazing and i just got a new alternater and battery put in 2 weeks ago and about a month ago i got tune up and new brakes and hoses done
durrsak wrote: Why would you sell a car you invested so much money to it?
my thoughts exactly
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33710 posts
7354 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
durrsak wrote: Why would you sell a car you invested so much money to it?
My guess is that there are other problems with the car

Lose a little money today or lose a lot more tomorrow. Cheaper to dump the car
Mar 6, 2008
456 posts
197 upvotes
Ottawa
You never specified how much the dealer appraised the car at. If the difference between selling it privately vs. trading it in is $1,000-1,500, I'd just trade it in. You got to deal with a lot of bullshit when you sell privately. People will contact you to ask an initial question and never say anything ever again, you have to arrange to meet with potential buyers, some of which will be no-shows, and if you get a competent person, they'll ask you to bring the car to a mechanic and get a list of every single thing wrong with the car to use it as leverage in the negotiations.

Everyone's threshold is going to be different, but I would carefully consider time/effort required and what the difference you'll get out of it is.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1290 posts
463 upvotes
JAC wrote: With a dealer trade-in, you avoid the hassle of dealing with idiots, curbsiders, and being kidnapped, murdered and set on fire.
Noted - do not attempt to sell vehicle in Oshawa. Hopefully you're murdered first and then set on fire? I don't think being murdered by being set on fire would be any good at all.

I've sold motorcycles privately, but a car - I'd be considering amount of time dealing with lowballers or teens just wanting to "test" drive it (AKA rip the hell out of it) would just not be worth my time.
Also I would expect people to call and say they're coming to look and then never show up, which wastes even more time.