Cool list.

Looks like the data is from 2019.

Might be a bit different now.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33252 posts
15103 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: https://www.visualcapitalist.com/wp-con ... l-res.html

Always though Benz s class was number 1 in Saudi.
Yeah like Hyundai is their #1 seller in Saudi Arabia?!?! Who would have guessed? Looks like it's the only place outside of Korea where Hyundai tops the list (I could have missed others though, just took a quick glance).
Badman wrote: Cool list.

Looks like the data is from 2019.
2019 is basically all you can look at though, as data is skewed after that due to you know what. Maybe 2022 or 2023 will be the next relevant year to look at.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2034 upvotes
Toronto
It's all relative unless we know the marginal differences between # 1, 2, 3 etc.
Is is less than 100, hundreds, thousands difference.
For example 40,000 Hyundai in Saudi Arabia but number 2 and 3 spots held by Mercedes S class and Toyota Landcruisers with numbers of 30k and 39K respectively.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2964 posts
1540 upvotes
Calgary, AB
You’ll probably find the S Class or Landcruiser is the best selling car to Saudis, but the Hyundai beats it in volume because of all the non Saudi residents.

Not unexpected to see Toyota everywhere, especially the ubiquitous Hilux.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
3146 posts
2528 upvotes
Cool. Thanks for sharing.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7177 posts
9151 upvotes
The NORTH
With the popularity of the Hilux I wonder why its not available in North America? Just can't compete with the F150?
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2956 posts
2374 upvotes
Markham
kr0zet wrote: With the popularity of the Hilux I wonder why its not available in North America? Just can't compete with the F150?
It did exist and it was literally known as the "Toyota pickup" in the 80s to very early 90s, but we're dealing with Toyota of America so they decided to Americanize it in the 90s and turn it into the Tacoma. It wasn't the only thing Toyota decided to Americanize either, they were really big on this in the 90s.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
29075 posts
4768 upvotes
Montreal
kr0zet wrote: With the popularity of the Hilux I wonder why its not available in North America? Just can't compete with the F150?
Baby pickup trucks don't sell.

Mind you I bet it would sell in eastern Canada and maybe BC.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7818 posts
6289 upvotes
Ottawa
I've been in a few dozen countries over the last five to ten years. Based on what I have seen: Toyota rules in Africa and South America but VW is strong in both those continents; Europe is a mixed bag but VW is super strong there; Asia is a mix of Hyundai and Toyota. Obviously, all brands have their niches and they vary by region. Since this map doesn't seem to include the manufacturer of tuk-tuks, it is not representative of what I have seen around the world.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33252 posts
15103 upvotes
Yeah they made a "more American" Tacoma instead, as mentioned. The Tacoma does alright but it can't even come close to F150 or Silverado. It sells about as much as the Sierra so it's not poor selling it just can't really compete with the other guys. Sells about 1/3rd what the Ram does too. As a side note, if you combine the Sierra and Silverado numbers (which really you should), they outsell the F150.

OTOH the Tacoma is not meant to compete with the F150, that's what the Tundra does. However those sales are, well, lulz. Tacoma sells about as much as the Ranger.

Basically unlike "the big guys", Toyota's small truck outsells its larger one.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3331 posts
955 upvotes
Vaughan
Anyone noticed Kosovo and Algeria?

James May would love it there.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2964 posts
1540 upvotes
Calgary, AB
It's too "utilitarian" for North American market, plus not powerful enough to tow 3.5 tons at 130km/h over a mountain pass... Not as good on road, but far superior off road - it can actually wade through something deeper than a puddle. Same with most of the other international pickups*.

*Although that's mostly just because of legalese.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
29075 posts
4768 upvotes
Montreal
Andy34 wrote: It's too "utilitarian" for North American market, plus not powerful enough to tow 3.5 tons at 130km/h over a mountain pass... Not as good on road, but far superior off road - it can actually wade through something deeper than a puddle. Same with most of the other international pickups*.

*Although that's mostly just because of legalese.
So how is hilux pronounced?

Hilux like "bollocks'

or Hilux like "linux"?
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4113 posts
4317 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Depends on region I think.. Usually hear it referred to as "he-lux" but I've heard many Americans pronounce it as "high-lux". Not sure if one is correct over the other.
Oct 23, 2014
526 posts
403 upvotes
Laval, QC
North America,land of the "Hicks". Lol
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2964 posts
1540 upvotes
Calgary, AB
mr_raider wrote: So how is hilux pronounced?

Hilux like "bollocks'

or Hilux like "linux"?
Hii-Lux

As in "Hi, how are you".
Ecsta wrote: Depends on region I think.. Usually hear it referred to as "he-lux" but I've heard many Americans pronounce it as "high-lux". Not sure if one is correct over the other.
Only ever heard it pronounced the latter in Africa, Europe and Australia, but the Japanese may have meant it to be pronounced differently and we all butchered it...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)