Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3601 posts
701 upvotes
Kingston

Best Settings For Asus RT-AC86U?

I have 3 86U's, 1 is my main router the other 2 are AiMesh nodes. I am consistently getting WIFI drops and wondering what I can do to fix this? I have everything set to default so I haven't played with much of the options like Airtime and Beamforming and such. Some stuff is hardwired through all 3 of the 86U's, and they seem to be just fine. It's the stuff on WIFI that is having issues

Any advice?
19 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1520 posts
371 upvotes
Ottawa
Have you look into snbforums? for solution.
Have updated to latest firmware?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35230 posts
21214 upvotes
Center of Universe
kcorscadden wrote: I have 3 86U's, 1 is my main router the other 2 are AiMesh nodes. I am consistently getting WIFI drops and wondering what I can do to fix this? I have everything set to default so I haven't played with much of the options like Airtime and Beamforming and such. Some stuff is hardwired through all 3 of the 86U's, and they seem to be just fine. It's the stuff on WIFI that is having issues

Any advice?
Are both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz dropping?
I had to exchange mine, due to the 2.4Ghz frequency dropping non stop.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3601 posts
701 upvotes
Kingston
It's mostly on 5GHz, but I guess it also drops on 2.4 as well. I don't think I need to exchange it, I think it's more a optimal settings thing, but I dont want to mess around too much and mess it all up.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
2542 posts
743 upvotes
I have the ac1900p and 2.4ghz drops a lot. 5ghz works fine. Might have to rma...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3601 posts
701 upvotes
Kingston
Phat_cow wrote: I have the ac1900p and 2.4ghz drops a lot. 5ghz works fine. Might have to rma...
That's what I am trying to figure out is whether the wifi drops is a technology issue or a settings issue. Everything seems to be fine as it broadcasts the signals fine, just seems to be dropping the signal intermittently from time to time.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3217 posts
1769 upvotes
Burlington
I think the only changes I made are that it prioritizes gaming over anything else.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2169 posts
1055 upvotes
Saint John
Are the drops on multiple clients? How strong are the signals reported on client devices, and is there a lot of congestion from other wifi users in your vicinity? Have you always had these problems, or did it just start?

Is the 86u advertised as a mesh system, or are you just kind of using it that way? I'm just wondering if that functionality has been shoe-horned in for marketing reasons when the router isn't really designed for it (unlike bespoke mesh systems).

I have a much more humble multi-AP system consisting of a Bell router and a TP-Link Archer C7 acting as an AP (connected together by a wired backhaul). I almost never have issues on either band.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3601 posts
701 upvotes
Kingston
birthdaymonkey wrote: Are the drops on multiple clients? How strong are the signals reported on client devices, and is there a lot of congestion from other wifi users in your vicinity? Have you always had these problems, or did it just start?

Is the 86u advertised as a mesh system, or are you just kind of using it that way? I'm just wondering if that functionality has been shoe-horned in for marketing reasons when the router isn't really designed for it (unlike bespoke mesh systems).

I have a much more humble multi-AP system consisting of a Bell router and a TP-Link Archer C7 acting as an AP (connected together by a wired backhaul). I almost never have issues on either band.
Usually if the WIFI goes down, it goes down on everything. Signals seem fine and I do live in a residential area so congestion is bound to happen. Problems come and go, haven't had any issues for a few days now. A lot of my devices are hardwired.

Yes the 86U is a mesh system. Since I live in a 17 yr old house, the house is not ethernet run to have your type of setup or else I would have jumped on a Unifi setup yrs ago. I am not really interested in running ethernet throughout the whole house and such but I might look into it down the road and see how much it would cost to bring someone in and have it done.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
2542 posts
743 upvotes
kcorscadden wrote: That's what I am trying to figure out is whether the wifi drops is a technology issue or a settings issue. Everything seems to be fine as it broadcasts the signals fine, just seems to be dropping the signal intermittently from time to time.
Hardware issue.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35230 posts
21214 upvotes
Center of Universe
kcorscadden wrote: Ok? How so?
There's no other reason for the wifi to drop!
Didn't you create a different thread where you had to get one of the router exchanged because of the 2.4Ghz dropping...which I also stated was an issue with these routers?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3601 posts
701 upvotes
Kingston
vkizzle wrote: There's no other reason for the wifi to drop!
Didn't you create a different thread where you had to get one of the router exchanged because of the 2.4Ghz dropping...which I also stated was an issue with these routers?
That was for AiMesh not syncing issue which apparently ended up being a 2.4 GHz failure. That unit is gone now. Is Asus having that hard of a time with their 86U's? Seems like they have a lot of problems with their units if my main router is RMA as well
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35230 posts
21214 upvotes
Center of Universe
kcorscadden wrote: That was for AiMesh not syncing issue which apparently ended up being a 2.4 GHz failure. That unit is gone now. Is Asus having that hard of a time with their 86U's? Seems like they have a lot of problems with their units if my main router is RMA as well
Not sure how widespread the issue is, but it's definitely not a coincident that I had the issue, you and several other RFD members.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
2542 posts
743 upvotes
kcorscadden wrote: Ok? How so?
Mine also drops frequently and only 2.4ghz. Gooe search you Asus router 2.4ghz and lots of people have this issue.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1520 posts
371 upvotes
Ottawa
ASUS just released a new firmware fir 86U.

ver is 45717
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1520 posts
371 upvotes
Ottawa
New firmware

ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.81039

2.4 is quite snappy.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19900 posts
8004 upvotes
Toronto
From what I know, AIMesh is very finicky. That may be the cause. If there was a concern with hardware and other aspects of the software not to do with AIMesh, simply run one router at a time without AIMesh and see if performance problems exist. If not, then the issue is AIMesh. If possible run an ethernet cable between routers and bridge them.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, Simplii
Jun 29, 2020
1 posts
5C036138-29A6-4C46-BE13-82A0B502253A.jpeg
Hi
Try to disable all the Wan-Nat Passthrough (PPTP,L2TP,IPSec......etc)