Food & Drink

Best Shawarma/Falaffel (Halal as well) in the GTA by far!

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2022 9:00 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
3445 posts
3223 upvotes
Oakville, ON
BananaHunter wrote: I had a late lunch at Karas (Mississauga). Take out. Had the chicken shawarma with rice. Honest opinion...it's ok.

They seem to be Egyptian so it's closer to Osmow's style. The spit is inside the kitchen so I can't see the meat get cooked. I do taste some smokiness from the meat so I believe they really used charcoal to cook initially but probably re-fry to heat up when customer actually order. Flavor wise definitely better than Osmow's. No char which to me is a negative but texture wise it's alright. I

Their regular size is pretty filling. I can't picture finishing a large in a single round. Good value for money.

I like their daily specials (day of the week). They also have some very reasonably priced every day specials. I like how they have not just shawarma but also kebabs. I'll probably go for a BBQ meat meal next. For their shawarma, I still prefer places that shave directly from the spit.
What were the daily specials now if you can recall ? The chicken had a weak charcoal taste agreedand I stall was weak, but the beef shwarma I could really taste the smokiness bbq style over horizontal spit flavour wise.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5286 posts
1464 upvotes
mrfrugal83 wrote: What were the daily specials now if you can recall ? The chicken had a weak charcoal taste agreedand I stall was weak, but the beef shwarma I could really taste the smokiness bbq style over horizontal spit flavour wise.
You triggered me to look them up on Google again. Starting to crave some shawarma. On Google you can find pictures of their daily specials. I recall they also have some mixed grill and steak specials. Mixed grill would be similar to other middle eastern mixed grill with 3 types of meats served on rice or equivalent.

I'm moving to Sauga in a few weeks. Gonna have more chances to try this place.
Member
Feb 21, 2013
257 posts
230 upvotes
GTA
Hey folks, hate to be that guy but do the well seasoned critics in this thread have any favourites in Scarborough to recommend?
Sr. Member
May 12, 2014
950 posts
710 upvotes
Markham, ON
czenxa wrote: Hey folks, hate to be that guy but do the well seasoned critics in this thread have any favourites in Scarborough to recommend?
I'm not a well seasoned critic and have a Scarborough recommendation. Shawarma Empire or Nasib's Shawarma which are both in the same plaza have good shawarma.

Across the street is Ghadir Meat and Restaurant which is a grocery store that sells cooked foods. Try Lahm-Ajeen Manakeesh.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 15, 2005
7900 posts
1677 upvotes
Toronto
czenxa wrote: Hey folks, hate to be that guy but do the well seasoned critics in this thread have any favourites in Scarborough to recommend?
Tasty Shawarma by Pharmacy Ave & Sheppard is good.
2993 Sheppard Ave E, Scarborough, ON M1T 3J5
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
16899 posts
11624 upvotes
Markham
czenxa wrote: Hey folks, hate to be that guy but do the well seasoned critics in this thread have any favourites in Scarborough to recommend?
You can also try Al Forat
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Sr. Member
Sep 28, 2006
890 posts
833 upvotes
Toronto
I've had the boxed doner at Champion Doner. Pretty good for 10 bucks. Fresh veggies. The doner meat is decent.

I had doner kebap in Istanbul which they cut into massive thin slices. It's almost like a massive thin sheet of doner which they throw on your plate to eat with some flat bread, french fries, and veggies. Its a talent and a show to watch them slice that sheet from the spit. When I see the restaurants doing machine shaving here it kinda pisses me off. They are huge into lamb there and not so much into chicken. I also realize how much food I missed out on when I see food vloggers in Turkey.

The only nationalities that take the art of slicing the chicken off the spit are Syrians. I would say they have the highest quality shawarmas in the GTA.

The closest thing to Istanbul I found here was Mustafa Kebap near Yorkdale. I'd say it's overly generous, as the Doner plate lasted me 3 meals. Id suggest to dine in and eating it piping hot right off the spit with some fresh lavash bread.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
16899 posts
11624 upvotes
Markham
Thorkell wrote: I've had the boxed doner at Champion Doner. Pretty good for 10 bucks. Fresh veggies. The doner meat is decent.

I had doner kebap in Istanbul which they cut into massive thin slices. It's almost like a massive thin sheet of doner which they throw on your plate to eat with some flat bread, french fries, and veggies. Its a talent and a show to watch them slice that sheet from the spit. When I see the restaurants doing machine shaving here it kinda pisses me off. They are huge into lamb there and not so much into chicken. I also realize how much food I missed out on when I see food vloggers in Turkey.

The only nationalities that take the art of slicing the chicken off the spit are Syrians. I would say they have the highest quality shawarmas in the GTA.

The closest thing to Istanbul I found here was Mustafa Kebap near Yorkdale. I'd say it's overly generous, as the Doner plate lasted me 3 meals. Id suggest to dine in and eating it piping hot right off the spit with some fresh lavash bread.
Had that place on my map Saved list but forgot about it. Will have to try it some day.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 6, 2002
9803 posts
2896 upvotes
Vancouver
Shoppersbeermart wrote: Im not going to stop reminding people to try Pita and Hummus on St Clair.
Pita And Hummus
(416) 654-1111
https://goo.gl/maps/1dqpNJ6CfcmE7vk3A

Tried this today. Was just under $12 with a premium mango juice glass drink. Ordered chicken pita with everything on. It. Was about 115pm on a Tuesday not busy huge fresh Schwarma spit. Very thick. Very big. Being shaved freshly. They toast the pita. Then rub it up against the spit and then toast it up with the vacant Schwarma heat rack. Really leaves a nice toast mark.

Overall pretty good barely needed a napkin. I do like sauce but this had just enough where it wasn’t dry but you weren’t getting soggy or leaky. I slammed the whole thing down faster than I usually would

I wish there was more crispy bits of meat or a bit stronger garlic but over for under $10 prepared well and a fairly nice looking restaurant. I didn’t feel sluggish when I returned to working. Probably not the heaviest pound. For pound value pita but certainly not a 90% lettuce stuffed pita.

I’d def give it a try. Dutch dream is around the corner for ice cream or Alberts Jamaican across corner for some take out for later.

Thanks for the recommendation
Images
  • 57923C3B-E6B8-494C-B5BC-53CB5BD90031.jpeg
  • 95E66D95-3F8B-4A8A-BACF-1F92CEDE5DD0.jpeg
  • 69A7358A-AC63-4E7A-8FBA-B7E7F36E7E7B.jpeg
  • 7CC2C539-07DF-4E58-BD8F-848B346655A8.jpeg
  • 9D0F0F56-E5A9-4C2C-8945-884946581BC1.jpeg
Last edited by GangStarr on May 26th, 2022 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12006 posts
5995 upvotes
GangStarr wrote: Pita And Hummus
(416) 654-1111
https://goo.gl/maps/1dqpNJ6CfcmE7vk3A

Tried this today. Was just under $12 with a premium mango juice glass drink. Ordered chicken pita with everything on. It. Was about 115pm on a Tuesday not busy huge fresh Schwarma spit. Very thick. Very big. Being shaved freshly. They toast the pita. Then rub it up against the spit and then toast it up with the vacant Schwarma heat rack. Really leaves a nice toast mark.

Overall pretty good barely needed a napkin. I do like sauce but this had just enough where it wasn’t dry but you weren’t getting soggy or leaky. I slammed the whole thing down faster than I usually would

I wish there was more crispy bits of meat or a bit stronger garlic but over for under $10 prepared well and a fairly nice looking restaurant. I didn’t feel sluggish when I returned to working. Probably not the heaviest pound. For pound value pita but certainly not a celery stuffed pita.

I’d def give it a try. Dutch dream is around the corner for ice cream or Alberts Jamaican across corner for some take out for later.

Thanks for the recommendation
That certainly looks tasty.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6044 posts
5266 upvotes
The__Rock wrote: Nah, its b/c most ppl on RFD who post for the most part are so f'n annoying...skeptical of everything and providing their "expertise" when they don't have any. You asked a question - "Who closes early on a Friday". So I gave you an answer that you aren't happy with. Look at a high end Steak House (i.e. Mortons) - they are open 5 hours a day and charge like $100 a steak. Are you going to compare them to a $15.99 Chucks Roadhouse steak? Are they charging 6x as much because they are making up for lost revenue or are they serving a much better steak?
After reading some of these posts, agreed, people are dumb. They have no problem spending $6 on a coffee at Starbucks or $15 at McDonald's but are squawking at $13 shawarma, doing all this "research" but probably don't put half as much effort for large purchases that actually matter SMH.

Aladdin Shawarma House in Concord is pretty good though a bit disorganized in taking orders .
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4573 posts
2595 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Where would one get the good shawarma in Mississauga area?
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 22, 2007
590 posts
708 upvotes
GangStarr wrote: Pita And Hummus
(416) 654-1111
https://goo.gl/maps/1dqpNJ6CfcmE7vk3A

Tried this today. Was just under $12 with a premium mango juice glass drink. Ordered chicken pita with everything on. It. Was about 115pm on a Tuesday not busy huge fresh Schwarma spit. Very thick. Very big. Being shaved freshly. They toast the pita. Then rub it up against the spit and then toast it up with the vacant Schwarma heat rack. Really leaves a nice toast mark.

Overall pretty good barely needed a napkin. I do like sauce but this had just enough where it wasn’t dry but you weren’t getting soggy or leaky. I slammed the whole thing down faster than I usually would

I wish there was more crispy bits of meat or a bit stronger garlic but over for under $10 prepared well and a fairly nice looking restaurant. I didn’t feel sluggish when I returned to working. Probably not the heaviest pound. For pound value pita but certainly not a celery stuffed pita.

I’d def give it a try. Dutch dream is around the corner for ice cream or Alberts Jamaican across corner for some take out for later.

Thanks for the recommendation
I had Dutch dream a couple weeks ago....definitely not worth $10 for an icecream cone. I got a "cookie dough" icecream which had no cookie dough (was basically vanilla with poor quality mini chocolate chips) and icecream was flavorless (which is consistent with many of the google review posts) .
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3124 posts
595 upvotes
Toronto
The__Rock wrote: I had Dutch dream a couple weeks ago....definitely not worth $10 for an icecream cone. I got a "cookie dough" icecream which had no cookie dough (was basically vanilla with poor quality mini chocolate chips) and icecream was flavorless (which is consistent with many of the google review posts) .
Booyah is a couple doors down, much better ice cream. However, they aren't open as late.
Sr. Member
Dec 26, 2008
822 posts
523 upvotes
I don't like either Booyah or Dutch Dreams. Both overpriced.

I don't think an Ice cream at DD is 10.00 though, I remember 1 scoop being around 6.00. Not cheap but not outrageous these days.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 6, 2002
9803 posts
2896 upvotes
Vancouver
gr8dlr wrote: Pitalicious is near my work and I've been a few times but not recently. That family used to have another location, they moved to this Woodbine location. Perhaps they've sold the business?

In the east end, I usually go to Shawarma Empire and I like it because they offer Mujjadara [lentils and spiced] rice in their "plate/platter". They also have a slightly curry'ish hot sauce which reminded me of a shawarma place downtown long long time ago [corner of Huron and College]. I used to also go to a old time now gone place called Farhat [they had lamb].

With all Shawarma, you need to go at prime time to get better food as the turnover is higher. You also need to go to places which have a lot of customers ie busy. Biggest spit I've ever seen was at Shawarma Palace on Rideau St in Ottawa.
GangStarr wrote: Haven't been to pitalicious in 3 years but yeah I’d go at lunch would go early to beat the rush but everyone figured that one out lll. Big guy with signature mustache. Very efficient ordering but lines out the door and not enough parking. (Neighboring business would call you out for using their spots.

Nice guy. Palestinian Christian’s if I recall correctly. they had some photo of them with an astronaut and a letter from the mayor of markham.

It went downhill from before COVID pretty sure big guy broke his foot or similar. So they may have timed it right. Totally used to be a coffee time.

Doner kebab house yonge and Gerard next to big slice was my fave. It it was chicken on rice not their wrap. And their Gael in hot sauce made it so.

La zeeze the location on Gerard used to be good when hookers hung out there eating pea soup to beat the cold.

This was quite a while ago. Was perfect if you needed to service your Lexus’s or Toyota next door at basils shop.

Ahh memories. Turkish doner in my experience in turkey doesn’t have garlic sauce at all just Ketchup and mayo.
The Schwarma tour continues. Today a trip down memory lane. Getting an oil change at t lex and a Schwarma while I’m waiting

PITALICIOUS
(905) 477-7482
https://goo.gl/maps/UnKkJuk1N1ef3FH3A

So the big mustache man sold the business 4 years ago. Right around when I stopped coming to this area.

Chicken Schwarma was $11.50ish with tax. They sell the rare colas vanilla orange and cherry for $2.50. Pricey but I love these variants.

It’s not quite what it used to be especially how fast the big guy used to assemble pita. This place would have line ups out the door. I arrived at 11am. Lots of office parks and buildings in the area that made a strong powerful lunch crowd which work from home impacted.

The Schwarma was full of meat including some crispy pieces they have minced garlic so if you’re into offensive breath (I am) you’re good here.

Overall meat was a touch dry but fresh cut off spit. Perhaps I’m stuck in memory lane but still a good sandwhich dare I say best in markham. (Havnt been to that one on highway 7 everyone talks about) it’s also in reach of Toronto and away from annoying 7
Images
  • C128921A-EACD-47AC-94A1-B8CDBF389DFE.jpeg
  • 958BF6D3-41EF-4252-B5BC-CD5AED9EDBA5.jpeg
  • 2221AF31-4635-4476-9FFE-0AC76EAE6B83.jpeg
  • F7112BCB-4EFE-4F95-B766-5577137B74A9.jpeg
  • 8810EB32-67E9-4528-BA39-87D5119C212E.jpeg
  • F428795A-F677-435F-9E36-DC25CED31CBA.jpeg
  • 254C8DC9-A4A3-4EE9-9EA4-939423BF0BB6.jpeg
Autocorrect sucks
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 22, 2007
590 posts
708 upvotes
trane0 wrote: Booyah is a couple doors down, much better ice cream. However, they aren't open as late.
We were in line for booyah and the guy in front of us told us to try Dutch Dream if we have never tried it before so we went over there.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 22, 2007
590 posts
708 upvotes
Shoppersbeermart wrote: I don't like either Booyah or Dutch Dreams. Both overpriced.

I don't think an Ice cream at DD is 10.00 though, I remember 1 scoop being around 6.00. Not cheap but not outrageous these days.
For two‐1 scoop in a dipped waffle cone it was $22.
Newbie
Jul 17, 2017
15 posts
11 upvotes
Tried a lot of Shawarma in the GTA - from Scarborough to Mississauga. We grew up in Saudi Arabia/Dubai and shawarma was a staple for us. In my opinion, the top 5 favourite shawarma shops for me are as follows:

1) Yaseen's Shawarma on Dixie and Eglinton. They make the most authentic tasting shawarma I have had in Toronto. Get the Chicken Saj -$8.99

2) Lezzet on Dixie and Eglinton - Not traditional, but they make my favourite shawarma plate in the city, and best value as well. This place has a long lineup and not open on Sundays. Get there before 5 for no lineup. Get the large Ali J (Chicken/Beef over rice or fries) - $12.99

3) Boustan on Lawrence and Warden - A bit bias here, but always loved this shawarma in Montreal. Since it's expanded to Toronto, this has become my regular go to on the Lawrence strip. Shawarma wrap will run you around $9, and the plate will be $18, but the portion and quality is good. Best thing here is the garlic potatoes though!

4) Pita Golden Pocket on Highway 7 and Dufferin - The one that started this thread. Although the wrap must be $13, it's one of the best values in the city since the owners put about a pound of meat in the sandwich, they can barely wrap it. Also the friendliest people I've ever encountered. This is more of an Israeli style shawarma I believe.

5) Gahdir Meat on Pharmacy and Lawrence - One of the best shawarmas in the city for sure, always busy, and good value for money. Both the plate and the wrap are top notch here.

Just my opinions above, shawarma aficionados, let me know what you think.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)