Food & Drink

Best Shawarma/Falaffel (Halal as well) in the GTA by far!

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2024 1:45 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1769 posts
1901 upvotes
Toronto
Had shelby's last week after their social media stuff showed up on my feed. Funny stuff. Tried the chicken wrap and the beef plate, and I gotta say its nothing special. Beef plate was tiny and a bit expensive. They aren't generous with the meat portions, they use an industrial scoop and only give you one scoop very carefully lol. I understand the cost of doing business is going up though.

They claim to say they sell the authentic shawarma, but using dark meat automatically disqualifies you from being authentic. If they didn't make their own bread, they would be the same as a lot of shawarma spots. The toppings they use seem to be straight out of wholesale jars. I don't think they are Levant, because the Levant swear by using white meat in their shawarma. And they are pretty generous with how they apply it to your shawarma using both hands.

I'll give the shawarma title to the Original Shawarma, Shawarma Royales, Shawara Pluses, and Shawarma Avenues of the GTA.

I also tried Istanbul Doner House near Heartland, got their doner plate, and man o man o man, they give you a mountain of doner meat which I believe was mostly thinly sliced lamb. Perfectly cooked, served with lavash, onions, grilled tomatoes, pickled peppers, and jalapenos. It was getting crazy busy too. I don't like red meat too much but the turks really killed it with this one. For $25 with a appetizer salad, drink, and complimentary tea, it was well worth it, and if I didn't overindulge, the doner meat could've been good for two meals.

Mind you I was full until the next day with all that doner meat. It really was two meals in one sitting. I'm definitely going back but on a quarterly basis, all that red lamb meat can't be good for you
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1769 posts
1901 upvotes
Toronto
13inches wrote: I was in London recently and tried them, I also found it to be a very good wrap. I'll try one of the GTA locations soon to see if they are consistent.
Was the founder there? The guy who doesn't the youtube videos?
Deal Addict
May 10, 2007
3542 posts
3234 upvotes
Etobicoke
Large dinner plate from Zayzoun. Enough for 2 ppl. Always fresh. $18 and change.
Images
  • 20230228_201208.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2015
5405 posts
5751 upvotes
Distance: 50 Metres
What do you think about pita lite?
To the moon
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2733 posts
3964 upvotes
13inches wrote: I was in London recently and tried them, I also found it to be a very good wrap. I'll try one of the GTA locations soon to see if they are consistent.
I'd say they are not consistent based on the two locations I tried (Downtown London and Rexdale). Ordered the exact same thing, and there was noticeably fewer toppings on the wrap from the Rexdale location. Kinda disappointing.
Oct 22, 2007
795 posts
1037 upvotes
Redsanta wrote: What do you think about pita lite?
Had it today. Garbage. $21 for a salad with chicken and was still hungry after.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1769 posts
1901 upvotes
Toronto
Im gonna have to say out of all the egyptian joints, Taza/Taza express has to be the best. I don't get stomach issues with their on the rocks/wraps like I do with osmows/lazeez.
Feb 11, 2018
10 posts
5 upvotes
Another good spot that I don’t see mentioned here is Karas Shawarma. It’s unlike 99% of the other shawarma spots in the city because they roast their meat horizontally over charcoal. I like both the chicken and the beef, fries are also delicious, and their mixed plate is my go to.

Anyone tried it out? It doesn’t replace my usual go to which is Yaseen’s, but a good spot all shawarma lovers should check out for themselves .
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1497 posts
1032 upvotes
Mountain85 wrote: Another good spot that I don’t see mentioned here is Karas Shawarma. It’s unlike 99% of the other shawarma spots in the city because they roast their meat horizontally over charcoal. I like both the chicken and the beef, fries are also delicious, and their mixed plate is my go to.

Anyone tried it out? It doesn’t replace my usual go to which is Yaseen’s, but a good spot all shawarma lovers should check out for themselves .
not sure if the horizontal roasting is a preferred method, because the fat drips down unlike the vertical spit where the fat melts down the meat.

Karas puts too much sauce over their meat. nothing special.
Feb 11, 2018
10 posts
5 upvotes
I personally ask for less sauce but enjoy the flavour the charcoal gives to the meat. My main gripe is that it takes too long for the order to be ready, but if you want a change from the day to day, it’s a good spot to check out.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17374 upvotes
Markham
riseagainstthemachine wrote: any good places around McCowan and Sheppard in scarborough?
Totally not what you're asking for but if you're in that area.

Forget the shawarma and go to Mona's Roti.

Or get some rice rolls

Tasty House Chinese Restaurant
(647) 352-9088
https://maps.app.goo.gl/hazapDiRSXFh2gUG7
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Oct 22, 2007
795 posts
1037 upvotes
They just opened a Pita Land near me - yesterday they had a grand opening special. They offered a free small wrap, or large wrap for $5, or a dinner plate (shawarma, rice, potatoes, salad) for $5. One per person, so I paid full price for one and got the large wrap for $5.

These places should really consider how they do these specials. They were so busy with freeloaders that the chicken on the skewer had no time to cook at all, so everything was cut and put on the griddle to actually cook through. Also, they legit measured out the chicken...they had 2 measuring cups (i.e. like the ones used for baking). Small pita got a 1/2 cup size scoop of chicken, large pita and plate got the 1 cup size.

I was starving after the wrap! My wife ate 97% of the plate. She eats like a rabbit though. When we order Champion Donair, she eats for 3 days.

Wrap is normally $13.99 + tax. Definitely not worth it in my opinion. It tasted okay, but for that price for a large wrap, I should be full after consumption.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
7082 posts
5209 upvotes
What do other people think of Original Shawarma in Mississauga?
Feb 5, 2007
889 posts
473 upvotes
Mississauga
not as great quality as shawarma avenue but above average. very large portion to make up for it. had the chicken on fries and lamb on rice for original shawarma
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11548 posts
5376 upvotes
Moving target
Had Boustan the famous chain from Montreal. $12.28 tax in for chicken schwarma in with can of cream soda.

I enjoyed the fresh toppings and it wasn’t a messy eat maybe like 3 drops of grease. I felt it all came together nicely and would def go back. Probably not the best for those looking for meat heavy best value one but I enjoyed the portion.

York mills / Leslie easy parking

Boustan Restaurant
(416) 449-4330
https://maps.app.goo.gl/3Ndvrt4dEiwSDd7i9?g_st=ic
Images
  • IMG_3013.jpeg
  • IMG_3012.jpeg
Autocorrect sucks
Mar 9, 2014
433 posts
233 upvotes
Stouffville
Shawarma Stop in Markham by Woodbine and Highway 7 is my fave. We go every week to support our local small business, and it's delicious.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11548 posts
5376 upvotes
Moving target
Shiraz81 wrote: Shawarma Stop in Markham by Woodbine and Highway 7 is my fave. We go every week to support our local small business, and it's delicious.
I’m not in the area often but glad to hear it is still good.

Pitalicious on woodbine is a good competitor in that markham area

Although I posted before on this spot. It has changed hands and maybe not as good as mustache man once ran it but I enjoyed my meal. $14.07 for chicken Schwarma with cherry Coke pop. They have some unique pop. You def need to go around noon for best results. T-lex is next door if you need an oil change on your Toyota or Lexus

PITALICIOUS
(905) 477-7482
https://maps.app.goo.gl/tNikgVjJFCG7Ehm49?g_st=ic
Images
  • IMG_3034.jpeg
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4207 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Canada_7 wrote: I remember seeing this thread a while back and wanted to try it, forgot all about it. Will try I guess when I get around to it.

Tried that place recently and while I don't know if it's considered "shawarma" per say (I honestly don't know the difference), I can agree that the sandwich was quite good. Both the meat and bread were enjoyable. Compared to Champion, at least the sandwich, this seemed a bit less greasy. Champion I've enjoyed but it does taste heavier. Been also to the Shawarma Palace place in Ottawa, can also agree that they serve tasty food there. Some good places personally I've been to that I liked:
- Shawarma Empire (my personal favourite; their chicken is better than their beef IMHO...but for me I like the chicken a lot better "spicy" while the beef without the spice)
- Ghadir Meat & Restaurant
- Zesty Pita
- Original Shawarma
- Flaming Stove (randomly inside of a Hasty Market at Davisville and Yonge)
- Two Brothers (Danforth/Victoria Park)
Love that place
Feb 11, 2018
10 posts
5 upvotes
If you ever visit the Boustan on York Mills and Leslie, their shawarma plate is always buy one get one free (about $20 tax in) on Uber Eats. You can do pick up instead of delivery to save on the fees. Best deal you can find on a shawarma plate, and their food is tasty. Not the best, but nostalgic for me since I grew up eating it in MTL.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)