Food & Drink

Best Shawarma/Falaffel (Halal as well) in the GTA by far!

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2024 1:45 pm
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
2139 posts
1969 upvotes
The__Rock wrote: Nah, its b/c most ppl on RFD who post for the most part are so f'n annoying...skeptical of everything and providing their "expertise" when they don't have any. ...
Says the person by posting it on RFD, but through judicious use of qualifiers to exclude themselves. LOL
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
StatsGuy wrote: isn't that the going rate for a gyro ? Gyro are cheaper than souvalki . Interesting it's basically across the street from tutti Panini which have really good Italian sandwiches like veal and free toppings like grilled onions/mushrooms etc
Not sure what the usual prices are. All I can say is this chicken gyro on a pita was super filling and REALLY good. And less than $13. Can't wait to go again (it's super far from me).
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
weedb0y wrote: Look at the quantity of the meat on the pita (in the video). That's why. Its the amount you get on a plate..
Oh okay... that makes sense.
That is $13 worth of meat. But thats waaaay too much meat for a wrap.

My local place does a good filling for $8.00
Not as much as the $13 place... but imagine the same price to meat ratio , but with the total price of $8.

So it seems like a strategy really. Make all your money off your limited clientele... the workers on lunch mon-fri.

Edit : i’m convinced. I actually wanna try this mega wrap. Its just too much out of the way. Maybe next time i go to vaughn mills on a weekday...
if i known about this back in my york university days i would have for sure tried! Ok probably not because i was a student and $13 is $$$$
Oct 22, 2007
795 posts
1038 upvotes
Raggie wrote: Greek Market Chicken in Richmond Hill for a fully loaded chicken gyro only $8. it's So good!

Here's their Google page: https://g.co/kgs/mVoxdY
Looks good - I'll give this a try. It basically Shwarma - not Gyros. Gyro is the stuff Jimmy the Greek sells.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
Face With Rolling Eyes ... Doh....
Last edited by Raggie on Aug 8th, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9951 posts
2434 upvotes
Toronto
Guys, PGP is legit. Yes, their hours are pretty crappy and it's on the more expensive side but it's a good size wrap. I used to work pretty close to PGP so it was one of my lunch joints. But yeah, all the mom and pops store in that plaza area closes at 5pm. Angling Specialties is around that plaza too and I can never make it there to grab my worms for fishing cuz they close at 5pm as well. LMAO

Btw, up the street is Nina's Caribbean. The oxtail, roti's and all other meals are absolute fire! Love this joint.
Last edited by 4flava on Aug 3rd, 2020 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
4451 posts
2016 upvotes
Scarborough
The__Rock wrote: Look at a high end Steak House (i.e. Mortons) - they are open 5 hours a day and charge like $100 a steak. Are you going to compare them to a $15.99 Chucks Roadhouse steak? Are they charging 6x as much because they are making up for lost revenue or are they serving a much better steak?
Well based on your example, yes! Mortons is opened 5 hours per day and charges $100 for a steak. Chuck's Roadhouse Steak is opened 13-14 hours per day, EVERY DAY for $15.99. So yes, if we are comparing hours of operation to balance the lost revenue than I am still correct.
Last edited by OrangeBerry on Aug 3rd, 2020 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
1759 posts
525 upvotes
Woodbridge
Been here once a few years ago based on google reviews. It was worth the money in terms of quantity and quality. The wrap could be used for two meals depending on the person. They don’t cheap out on the chicken. The owners were very nice people too.

This and shawarma paradise (islingtonn and 7) are my top 2 in the York region. My favourite in the gta is shawarma empire in Scarborough.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1879 upvotes
Scarborough
UrbanPoet wrote: Oh okay... that makes sense.

Not as much as the $13 place... but imagine the same price to meat ratio , but with the total price of $8.

So it seems like a strategy really. Make all your money off your limited clientele... the workers on lunch mon-fri.

$13 doesn't look too bad to give it a try to see the quality as the quantity has already been verified to being quite ample for it. Though for falafel, it really needs to be much less. I don't care how stuffed a falafel is, it shouldn't be more than $7 or $8 tops because it costs way less to make it than with meat.

It is smart business strategy on the family's part to run those hours and business days to give them that work-life balance everybody else is wanting to have. Good for them.

Also setting it up in a business sector is a plus as they strategically capitalize on monopolizing most of the market in that area as most workers who don't bring their own lunch are left with very little options in that area unless they bother to drive out to another plaza with other eateries. Also, many workers in those business areas tend to be earning better and more inclined as well as not bothered by splurging more so than others who may be looking to budget themselves.
Oct 22, 2007
795 posts
1038 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Oh okay... that makes sense.

Edit : i’m convinced. I actually wanna try this mega wrap. Its just too much out of the way. Maybe next time i go to vaughn mills on a weekday...
if i known about this back in my york university days i would have for sure tried! Ok probably not because i was a student and $13 is $$$$
Please remember to back here and report your thoughts once you give it a try!

There was actually another place not too far form this a few years ago - they used a fresh Laffa and loaded up on chicken as well. It was about $11 and legit the size of my forearm. It was insane (was called bissli, then was bought over by some Russian guy who renamed it to Kruzo but kept up the same Shawarma....then got sold again to another guy who renamed it DeJa Vu (http://dejavucuisine.com/#gallery). At first it was the same but the last time I went, they didn't have the same delicious toppings (mushrooms and fried eggplant), and they put about 1/3rd of the amount of chicken. Haven't been back since.

Used to take orders from colleagues when I worked out in Oakville and would swing by on my way to work if i was coming in late and pick up for everybody. Once I found out about Pita Golden Pocket I switched over.
Oct 22, 2007
795 posts
1038 upvotes
4flava wrote: Guys, PGP is legit. Yes, their hours are pretty crappy and it's on the more expensive side but it's a good size wrap. I used to work pretty close to PGP so it was one of my lunch joints. But yeah, all the mom and pops store in that plaza area closes at 5pm. Angling Specialties is around that plaza too and I can never make it there to grab my worms for fishing cuz they close at 5pm as well. LMAO

Btw, up the street is Nina's Caribbean. The oxtail, roti's and all other meals are absolute fire! Love this joint.
My neighbour told me about this place last year - said the food is amazing. I always drive past it on Hwy 7 but have never made my way in. Wasn't sure the name of it since just says "Carribean Restaurant" from the outside.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9951 posts
2434 upvotes
Toronto
The__Rock wrote: My neighbour told me about this place last year - said the food is amazing. I always drive past it on Hwy 7 but have never made my way in. Wasn't sure the name of it since just says "Carribean Restaurant" from the outside.
Yeah man, you gotta stop in one day. I used to go there for the beef roti and/or the bbq chicken(yes the bbq chicken is amazing) meal but recently I've been hooked on their oxtail meal. It's simply amazing and don't forget to ask for extra gravy. Warning: their hot sauce will light you on fire!!
Jun 4, 2006
739 posts
448 upvotes
Brampton | Vaughan
apnayloags wrote: Honestly if you want good doner kebabs thats in Turkey or in Germany etc.
In canada they skimp, overcharged everything yet fill it up with cheapo lettuce and call it a wrap. The bread is cheap pita factory made which gets soggy in a minute. I’ve stopped getting tfhat yrs ago. Not worth thr hassle or price.

I’d rather get some spicy kebabs/tandoori bbq instead from restaurants with good fresh naan in pretty much same price and more filling
There's a turkish joint that opened up in Vaughan that our family likes, https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Berlin ... 5831?hl=en
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
4451 posts
2016 upvotes
Scarborough
@The__Rock I'm curious, which other Shawarma places have you visited that you can state on here and compare to say this one is the best hands down? What do you consider best for you? Quality or quantity? I live 5 minutes away from Tasty Shawarma and it's not by far the best I've ever eaten but the price and hours they operate offsets their sub-par quality. What makes a quality shawarma is in the ingredients of the meat, everything is produce. Some people like me can say the place I mentioned is the best because I can get 2 wraps (chicken, beef or falaffel) with 1 a drink for $10 taxes in.
Oct 22, 2007
795 posts
1038 upvotes
OrangeBerry wrote: @The__Rock I'm curious, which other Shawarma places have you visited that you can state on here and compare to say this one is the best hands down? What do you consider best for you? Quality or quantity? I live 5 minutes away from Tasty Shawarma and it's not by far the best I've ever eaten but the price and hours they operate offsets their sub-par quality. What makes a quality shawarma is in the ingredients of the meat, everything is produce. Some people like me can say the place I mentioned is the best because I can get 2 wraps (chicken, beef or falaffel) with 1 a drink for $10 taxes in.
As i said, don't just take my word for it. Look at the other 700 reviews on Google.

Ive been to plenty of places that arent even worth mentioning because this is by far the best. Pita & grill at dundas/hurontario is pretty good (only had the plate). But like ive said, my issue with almost all shwarma wraps is the mediocre meat to veggie ratio. I cant stand buying a shwarma wrap where they barely put any chicken and im getting bites of lettuce. When i go to any of those 6.99 crappy places i typically pay the extra $3 for more meat and its still subbar. I also don't like shwarma that is very fatty. Those places in scarborough use 60% chicken / 40% chicken skin and put a big hunk of beef or lamb fat on top of the spit. Nasty. Then you have places like Paramount which uses white meat and the shwarma is super dry.
Oct 22, 2007
795 posts
1038 upvotes
Carbooja wrote: There's a turkish joint that opened up in Vaughan that our family likes, https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Berlin ... 5831?hl=en
Nice. Ill give this a try. There is a place actually dowj the street from here at jane qnd major mackenize in the longos plaza - Champions Donair. Also turkish. I usually go there if im feeling like a beef shwarma. They have a 15% off coupon on Venngo.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
4451 posts
2016 upvotes
Scarborough
The__Rock wrote: As i said, don't just take my word for it. Look at the other 700 reviews on Google.

Ive been to plenty of places that arent even worth mentioning because this is by far the best. Pita & grill at dundas/hurontario is pretty good (only had the plate). But like ive said, my issue with almost all shwarma wraps is the mediocre meat to veggie ratio. I cant stand buying a shwarma wrap where they barely put any chicken and im getting bites of lettuce. When i go to any of those 6.99 crappy places i typically pay the extra $3 for more meat and its still subbar. I also don't like shwarma that is very fatty. Those places in scarborough use 60% chicken / 40% chicken skin and put a big hunk of beef or lamb fat on top of the spit. Nasty. Then you have places like Paramount which uses white meat and the shwarma is super dry.
Name the place you speak of that shells out 60% chicken / 40% chicken skin?
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
4451 posts
2016 upvotes
Scarborough
The__Rock wrote: As i said, don't just take my word for it. Look at the other 700 reviews on Google.

So I spent about an hour reading the reviews, I will give this place a shot but let me just say this.

-They don't offer beef option, only chicken or veggie... that's kinda disappointing.
- They don't panini press their wraps, also disappointing!!! How can you not panini press a wrap!!!!
- No combos??? You wanna charge me $13 + $2 more for pop and there is no combo???
- Extras on the side is a definite NO! So I can't have hot peppers on the side? Woooow

This place is definitely Quantity over Quality. I'm just letting you know what I am expecting before I reach over there next week.