• May 7th, 2019 10:04 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5902 posts
1380 upvotes
GTA

Best Similar File Dedup App - Windows

Eliminated tons of duplicates using DupeGuru and Duplicate File Cleaner Free. However at this point on, neither can deal with the slightly different versioning of documents, and across different file types.

Is there better alternative in doing visual content analysis? and something that's more commercial/professional grade. I have maily document and image files.

Thanks.
2 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2585 posts
827 upvotes
LongLiveRFD wrote: .. neither can deal with the slightly different versioning of documents, and across different file types.
Slightly different versioning can mean possibly different content in the actual document.
Also, what do you mean across different file types? GIF vs JPEG?

I also use dupeguru, I find it enough for home use - this just finds duplicate "files".
Are you looking for block level or pointer level? Professional dedup "dehydrates" the data, saving you space, but if you want to move that data somewhere else to access it it will need to be rehydrated.

I don't have a suggestion, just sharing some info.
Did the other program find more dupes that Dupeguru?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5902 posts
1380 upvotes
GTA
vodka wrote: Slightly different versioning can mean possibly different content in the actual document.
Also, what do you mean across different file types? GIF vs JPEG?

I also use dupeguru, I find it enough for home use - this just finds duplicate "files".
Are you looking for block level or pointer level? Professional dedup "dehydrates" the data, saving you space, but if you want to move that data somewhere else to access it it will need to be rehydrated.

I don't have a suggestion, just sharing some info.
Did the other program find more dupes that Dupeguru?
Both apps are excellent and easy to use but I think Duplicate File Cleaner Pro is slightly better. Reason is simple, DFC was the last app you used that could still extract more results via similarity %. Then it's better.

I remember seeing some software that govts used, can't remember the name now.

By professional I mean more for business but IT purposes. You can look at two files and see they are same or similar but dedup aka 100% similar won't pick those up, and similarity will do for pics but not as well for documents.

Yes there are pics that are computationally similar but contextually different. My result set of false positive is not very big, and I can exclude or eliminate the files. For that level of use, AI dedup may be required.