• Sep 14th, 2021 5:09 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1389 posts
1382 upvotes
Markham, ON

Best Smart doorbell camera?

I had a Ring Pro for just over 2 years and it died on me recently, and I only had the $30/yr plan so it wasn't covered under their extended warranty or my credit card's extended warranty.

I'm in the market for a new Smart Doorbell Camera. It can be wired or battery powered. Just looking for something that my wife won't complain about (has to be reliable) tbh.

Ring, Nest, Eufy, Arlo, August etc.

What are RFDers using, would you recommend it to others?
FIDO, Freedom Mobile, Koodo, Public Mobile, TELUS customer.
4 replies
Dec 1, 2020
4 posts
6 upvotes
Smart Home Solver has a great video comparison. I don't like subscriptions so I went with Eufy 2K battery doorbell.

Only complaint is live feed does not provide an RTSP feed but that is a solvable problem with a second camera.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3532 posts
2530 upvotes
Toronto
I just put in a Nest Hello - or 'wired' doorbell, but I have a plethora of Nest cameras and a Nest thermostat already. I chose the older wired version as it records 24/7 etc. vs. the new wireless edition of the doorbell. It's also a lot smaller.

Works like a charm. I pay $80 per year for the Nest Aware subscription. For $160 you can get 10 days of 24/7 recording from all the cameras which is a nice idea but I do with there was a middle ground between the two subscription levels.

One of the reasons I went with Nest for the cameras is I was lucky enough to be given a pair of the outdoor cameras. Up to that point I only had the thermostat.

I've since bought the doorbell and an indoor camera (both used on Kijiji). It's nice to have the cameras and thermostat control all in one app and for $7 per month for the camera subscription, it's not worth me trying to DIY it with my Synology NAS etc. and one of my cameras is at the cottage anyhow.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3532 posts
2530 upvotes
Toronto
I should also say the face recognition on the Nest is pretty good, as are the alerts. I'm constantly getting emails and notifications of the doorbell seeing me, which is interesting but useless. You can teach it faces over time I guess.

You can talk through the cameras too which is interesting. From the app you can click on the microphone and broadcast your voice through any of the cameras which have little speakers.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9135 posts
800 upvotes
Wyze door bell or just install a Wyze cam at the porch.