Automotive

best spark plugs for ...

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2015 9:21 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6230 posts
1903 upvotes
BC
As koshercommander said, need to get the facts straight:

"Copper" plugs have a nickel alloy coating on the copper core of the electrodes.

Even though copper is an excellent conductor, you need to have some other metal covering it.

Platinum and iridium plugs also have a copper core.

Because iridium is more costly than platinum, and harder, they typically have a "fine wire" design for the centre electrode, and may have a platinum-plated ground electrode.

"Laser" as a qualifier doesn't mean anything of importance.

Pricing for various models of plug is all over the map, which isn't surprising given that NGK pleaded guilty to price fixing in their dealings with U.S. automakers.
Other plugs makers were implicated in the conspiracy.
No reason why a traditional "copper" plug should cost more that $3, and a "precious metal" plug should be about $5 if the enormous advertising budget wasn't a factor.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
16940 posts
6110 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: I think that you folks are living in the "old" days. There are very few copper plugs being used today.
Yes, there used to be a fouling problem with plugs, yes they used to wear down but, with the newer plugs made of newer materials being installed by OEM's nowadays and the much "hotter" ignition systems, these problems rarely exist any more.
I never said that they last forever either but, it is not unusual for plugs to last, and have no ill effects, for 100K kms and more.
http://allaboutautomotive.com/blog/how- ... -replaced/
http://www.autos.com/car-maintenance/ho ... park-plugs
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_suppo ... p?mode=nml
Also, bad plug symptoms will be detected by your on board diagnostics....misfire codes, poor combustion (O2 sensor codes) etc and eventually reduced gas mileage (although, you should have had sensor triggers before it got that bad).
So really, I am not "off" on this one, technology has made plug problems a thing of the past.
I would not go that far, i have found from experience that plugs very worn do reduce gas mileage without throwing codes (when they are completely gone of course it will), and they should last longer then plugs of yesteryear but longer intervals does not mean they should be ignored.
Your second link has a new plug low life at 30,000 miles or about 45,000km
macnut wrote: No reason why a traditional "copper" plug should cost more that $3, and a "precious metal" plug should be about $5 if the enormous advertising budget wasn't a factor.
agreed
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
35471 posts
9491 upvotes
Ottawa
Quentin5 wrote: I would not go that far, i have found from experience that plugs very worn do reduce gas mileage without throwing codes (when they are completely gone of course it will), and they should last longer then plugs of yesteryear but longer intervals does not mean they should be ignored.
Your second link has a new plug low life at 30,000 miles or about 45,000km
Macnuts's comments about pricing of plugs is bang on. Even though NGK was found guilty, they never really reduced their prices.

agreed
I never said that "very worn plugs" do not affect gas mileage...as a matter of fact, I think I did say it would. I just added that if the plugs are so worn that the ECU would also throw a code.
The links were to prove that the newer plugs last waaay longer. The second link also says they can last 100,000 miles.
I am not here to argue, just to point out that plugs are no longer the issue or problematic as they used to be. They are so reliable that they rarely require replacement let alone any maintenance.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1944 posts
447 upvotes
m4r 1k8
ottofly wrote: There is something seriously wrong with your dad's Matrix and it's more than just spark plugs. That car should easily get 500-600km/tank and more.
we sold it at 230, 000 km

the car had factory up until the 230, 000 KMs
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3725 posts
476 upvotes
MONTR
wiki says "copper is the best conductor of electricity"
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
16940 posts
6110 upvotes
nomdesplumes wrote: wiki says "copper is the best conductor of electricity"
Silver is more conductive, but the point is a spark plug needs more then conductivity, it needs to survive billions of controlled explosions at high temperature.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
35471 posts
9491 upvotes
Ottawa
nomdesplumes wrote: wiki says "copper is the best conductor of electricity"
Wiki is wrong.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 24, 2006
10202 posts
647 upvotes
Mississauga
What about spark plug wires? That seems to be a more controversial issue in regards to the resistance of the wire then that actual spark plug itself.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
35471 posts
9491 upvotes
Ottawa
Tijuana wrote: What about spark plug wires? That seems to be a more controversial issue in regards to the resistance of the wire then that actual spark plug itself.
What about them? How are they "controversial"? What questions do you have regarding the spark plug wires?
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11560 posts
6087 upvotes
Brampton
More importantly what wires. Every car made in the last decade is COP.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
16940 posts
6110 upvotes
Tijuana wrote: What about spark plug wires? That seems to be a more controversial issue in regards to the resistance of the wire then that actual spark plug itself.
I have not read any controversies about wires vs plugs, in all the message forums i have posted on i can't remember a single wire controversy but dozens if not hundreds about plugs.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
35471 posts
9491 upvotes
Ottawa
Point?
Besides pulling a 2006 forum post, what is your question regarding plug wires?

As tebore stated, most cars don't even have them anymore.

As Quentin5 commented, and I agree, I have not heard or read anything about a plug wire controversy or conspiracy. What is your problem with them? Be concise and maybe we can help.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 11, 2004
9534 posts
2257 upvotes
Montreal, QC
If the Lexus calls for double plats, stick to that, Iridium won't give you any benefits and may not last as long, especially in car with wasted sparks (which I think the IS300 is)

In a waste spark system, the spark is not only fired from tip to ground but also ground to tip (the wasted spark) which will erode the ground.
In the Iridium IX plugs, only the tip is coated, the ground is not. Double platinium have 2 grounds AND both the tip and ground are plated, Laser Iridium however have a platinum disc in the ground

Edit: Checked the part finder, the 02' IS300 calls for Laser Iridium, Iridium tip and plat ground, IFR6T11/4589
06' Civic: Laser Iridium as well, plugs differs depending on engine
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11560 posts
6087 upvotes
Brampton
Daijoubu wrote: If the Lexus calls for double plats, stick to that, Iridium won't give you any benefits and may not last as long, especially in car with wasted sparks (which I think the IS300 is)

In a waste spark system, the spark is not only fired from tip to ground but also ground to tip (the wasted spark) which will erode the ground.
In the Iridium IX plugs, only the tip is coated, the ground is not. Double platinium have 2 grounds AND both the tip and ground are plated, Laser Iridium however have a platinum disc in the ground

Edit: Checked the part finder, the 02' IS300 calls for Laser Iridium, Iridium tip and plat ground, IFR6T11/4589
06' Civic: Laser Iridium as well, plugs differs depending on engine
Why you have little clue what you talking about.

Iridium will ALWAYS last longer than double platinums I bet you don't even know what it means. All Iridium plugs will use a copper core with an fine iridium tip the ground strap will have a platinum pad on it. First gen platinums only had it on the tip thus still wearing the strap and getting gap erosion. So Called double platinum later added the pad to get those plugs up to 100,000mi rating (160,000KM). Iridiums are conservatively rated at 120k Mi but the key here is it makes the rest of the ignition system operate more efficiently because it's easier to get a spark from a fine tip and enabled more systems to go to multi spark. It's not uncommon for stock ignitions to fire their plugs a dozen times during the power stroke.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)