Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 25, 2008
692 posts
29 upvotes
edmonton

Best strategy for buying TV

HI i am thinking about buying Samsung 46 LCD TV.

You know usually store like Best Buy ,they have price gurarantee within
certain period of days. So if i bought one today, even if price drops big time on boxing day weekend, then
i should get price match with the lowest price on the boxing weekend, correct?

However looking at it the other way, if that's the case, why would so many people line up overnight to attempt
getting products at lowest price, when they can simply use this strategy?

tks ,TC
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2004
2778 posts
119 upvotes
Sudbury
Some exclude price protection from Boxing Day sales
"What an emotionally wrecking of the stomach game"
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25041 posts
4241 upvotes
Any and every store that has good sales on boxing day will not price match a boxing day sale price.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21030 posts
14975 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
love0715 wrote: HI i am thinking about buying Samsung 46 LCD TV... if price drops big time on boxing day weekend
Generally a bad assumption. The competition on TVs is so high and the profit margin is so low, especially the highest volume, lower-end ones, that you're unlikely to see a substantial price drop on BD. There's also the risk that the model you want, especially if it's a really good deal, will be out of stock. Worse it could be out of stock even after you've wasted Christmas night standing in the cold queueing to get into the store.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
2192 posts
402 upvotes
Kitchener-Waterloo, …
BestBuy will NOT match boxing day prices through their price protection plan, as it is a limited time and usually limited quantity sale. Honestly I think the best thing to do is to find a good TV you like that is on sale and price match. Personally I would suggest Visions because they do not charge the eco fee for Ontario orders and shipping usually only costs $25. Just make sure you go to BestBuy and take a look at the tv before you buy something.

The price protection plans will allow you to get reimbursed if the price drops or the tv goes on sale other than boxing day.
Mar 2, 2010
131 posts
12 upvotes
you can always just return the TV after boxing day, if you end up finding a better deal. Stores also won't price match other stores on Boxing Day either.