• Jan 14th, 2021 12:34 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2010
1033 posts
750 upvotes
Victoria, BC

Best streaming service in Canada?

So Netflix is raising its price starting January 2021. It got me thinking, if you could only subscribe to one streaming service in Canada, which one would it be? Netflix? Disney Plus? CraveTV? Prime Video? Something else?

I know there's no one perfect streaming service. But if you could only pick one, which one is best in Canada?
35 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5942 posts
2894 upvotes
Global Village
Totally subjective but based on the recent Disney+ announcements if I had to pick only 1 for 12 months I'd pick Disney+ and sign up for their $89.99 annual plan in mid Feb before their price increase on Feb 23.
All day I dream about sports
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2010
1033 posts
750 upvotes
Victoria, BC
scoper wrote: Totally subjective but based on the recent Disney+ announcements if I had to pick only 1 for 12 months I'd pick Disney+ and sign up for their $89.99 annual plan in mid Feb before their price increase on Feb 23.
Yeah, it's a good point, they have a slate of shows that are starting to come on the service, and their Star section sounds really promising. But I wonder how much of it will be available in Canada? A lot of that programming is locked up by other services here.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5064 posts
2866 upvotes
Toronto
1_blue_pixel wrote: A lot of that programming is locked up by other services here.
This is what I loathe most here in Canada. Entrenched monopolist fatcats like Rogers and Bell sweeping up rights to distribute content. This isn't innovation - this is the old guard keeping power in an industry where all they act as is unnecessary middle management. They act more like Mafia, than as an innovative and necessary force for the future. If we can't get milk straight from the cow, at the very least, exclusive distribution of foreign content should be something that the CRTC prevents.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17243 posts
3494 upvotes
Toronto
If were in the same position as Rogers and Bell, would you do the same? If you were a shareholder in either company, would you expect or want them to behave differently?

I'm not being critical of the comments, I'm just wondering how else to fix the situation. I think it's pretty much the same in the USA.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1291 posts
1294 upvotes
Netflix, hands down. The sheer amount of content and production values of the original content is worth more than they are charging currently.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2010
1033 posts
750 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I'm currently watching Netflix the most, but most of what I'm watching, while I like it... it's not super must-watch aside from a few shows like The Queens Gambit. I'm also really enjoying Erased, both the live action and the anime. But a lot of it, Dragons Dogma, The Liberator, etc. It was OK but not essential viewing for me.

I'm looking for the best service that doesn't need to have all the great shows but at least a few steady really great shows.

Weirdly, Amazon Prime seems to have a lot more movies I want to watch than Netflix, which again has some OK but more like B movies.

Maybe Crave TV has the widest range of good shows?
Jul 7, 2020
324 posts
151 upvotes
They all suck. If one was really "the best," it would probably be Crave.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5942 posts
2894 upvotes
Global Village
1_blue_pixel wrote: Yeah, it's a good point, they have a slate of shows that are starting to come on the service, and their Star section sounds really promising. But I wonder how much of it will be available in Canada? A lot of that programming is locked up by other services here.
The new shows will all be on Star and they're saying there will be 35 new shows on Star alone within the first 12 months after launch. Personally I am looking forward to the new Jeff Bridges show The Old Man.

jeff-bridges-john-lithgow-star-spy-thri ... n-2373921/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2010
1033 posts
750 upvotes
Victoria, BC
scoper wrote: The new shows will all be on Star and they're saying there will be 35 new shows on Star alone within the first 12 months after launch. Personally I am looking forward to the new Jeff Bridges show The Old Man.

jeff-bridges-john-lithgow-star-spy-thri ... n-2373921/
So I love Star Wars and I love Marvel. If say, 4 new shows of each were coming to D+ in 2021 it would be worth it for me, and anything else would be great too. But I'm doubtful how much would be actually coming out in 2021.

FX is somehow releasing a Aliens series? Count me in for that. But if FX content is going to D+ does that mean FX Canada is done?

I have a lot of questions about how much is actually coming to D+ in 2021 and not "baking with Baby Yoda" type of shows that only serve to pad their "hey we got new stuff" lists.

I'm close to locking in D+ for a year but need to know there's enough that's coming to make it worth it. I subscribed when it started but really only watched Mandalorian so I cancelled.
Feb 24, 2018
435 posts
205 upvotes
Library free streaming service if available (ideally Kanopy instead of Hoopla as it has a better film selection imo and more HD) in combination with Prime Video (bonus if you get it for half the price with Prime Student).

At $8/month, Prime is a better bargain than the $17+ or whatever Netflix has gone to now plus it's pretty useful to have Prime shipping come with it during the pandemic.

CraveTV is mostly just for TV and I prefer movies so I didn't use it beyond the free trial, was not a fan of the interface or app either. I'm also not going to be one of those people that subscribes to a bunch of services, it's a pain to just browser multiple ones tbh. I'd go with one or two max and just pirate the rest if I need.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4956 posts
4002 upvotes
Crave +HBO is probably best deal even before Netflix's latest increase. The quality of stuff on crave is so much better than Netflix
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4956 posts
4002 upvotes
shikotee wrote: This is what I loathe most here in Canada. Entrenched monopolist fatcats like Rogers and Bell sweeping up rights to distribute content. This isn't innovation - this is the old guard keeping power in an industry where all they act as is unnecessary middle management. They act more like Mafia, than as an innovative and necessary force for the future. If we can't get milk straight from the cow, at the very least, exclusive distribution of foreign content should be something that the CRTC prevents.
Huh? The US has more entrenched companies and is responsible for all the splintering of shows/content. What can the CRTC do? It's the content owners who are choosing where to have their content on. Crtc can't just confiscate content and put it on a platform

Eg NBC has taken back Office, parks and rec for their own service

CBS all access

Apple TV

Hulu+

HBO

Disney +

Etc
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5942 posts
2894 upvotes
Global Village
StatsGuy wrote: Huh? The US has more entrenched companies and is responsible for all the splintering of shows/content. What can the CRTC do? It's the content owners who are choosing where to have their content on. Crtc can't just confiscate content and put it on a platform

Eg NBC has taken back Office, parks and rec for their own service

CBS all access

Apple TV

Hulu+

HBO

Disney +

Etc
To me it's all about content spend, the more you spend the more hits you're likely to have. 2-3 years down the line we'll be talking about the 3 global content superpowers, Netflix, Disney, Amazon.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4956 posts
4002 upvotes
scoper wrote: To me it's all about content spend, the more you spend the more hits you're likely to have. 2-3 years down the line we'll be talking about the 3 global content superpowers, Netflix, Disney, Amazon.
Well, you need the talent too. Eg HBO, CBS, NBC have amazing content libraries (way better than Netflix)

Netflix just throws money at it but hasn't really developed anything good consistently, I mean they can spend almost 100M per film but have very forgettable stuff like 6 underground, and whatever that movie with Charliez Theron was called . Their tv stuff is also abysmally bad when you consider the money they dump into junk. Spending is important, but that's only half of it. It's like giving DeRozan a supermax vs giving LeBron or AD one.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10329 posts
2701 upvotes
Winnipeg
scoper wrote: Totally subjective but based on the recent Disney+ announcements if I had to pick only 1 for 12 months I'd pick Disney+ and sign up for their $89.99 annual plan in mid Feb before their price increase on Feb 23.
wondering if disney+ and hulu and epsn with a vpn as a better deal for 13.99 usd in feb?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
7414 posts
989 upvotes
Ottawa
PHuth2 wrote: Library free streaming service if available (ideally Kanopy instead of Hoopla as it has a better film selection imo and more HD) in combination with Prime Video (bonus if you get it for half the price with Prime Student).

At $8/month, Prime is a better bargain than the $17+ or whatever Netflix has gone to now plus it's pretty useful to have Prime shipping come with it during the pandemic.

CraveTV is mostly just for TV and I prefer movies so I didn't use it beyond the free trial, was not a fan of the interface or app either. I'm also not going to be one of those people that subscribes to a bunch of services, it's a pain to just browser multiple ones tbh. I'd go with one or two max and just pirate the rest if I need.
I find that the Crave app on my Roku TV is great. The Crave app on my Samsung Smart 4k player is horrible.
Note to streaming services creators: I want a plugin for Kodi, so that I can watch your content with the same ease as I watch stuff from my own collection of ripped Blurays/DVDs. I don't care if you encrypt it or do whatever you need to to prevent people from copying it.
Dec 8, 2017
517 posts
240 upvotes
I watch a lot of movies and personally (according to what I watch) nothing beats the Criterion channel for quality content.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5942 posts
2894 upvotes
Global Village
lead wrote: wondering if disney+ and hulu and epsn with a vpn as a better deal for 13.99 usd in feb?
Considering that Star will have 35 of the new Hulu USA shows in Canada in 2021 paying $90 CAD for the year in Feb is a better deal imo.

https://screenrant.com/disney-plus-hulu ... tion-cost/