Best Stroller Suggestions

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2020 9:21 pm
[OP]
Feb 5, 2019
105 posts
37 upvotes

Best Stroller Suggestions

Hi all, I am about to be a new father at the end of the month. In gearing up for the arrival of my first born I'm hoping to garner some suggestions on which stroller to purchase. From what I have heard UppaBaby which is expensive is the way to go. Apparently their transition from car seat to the stroller is seamless making it worth the price. I am however open to all suggestions as the highest end Uppababy model is out of my price range. Thanks in advance!
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
2136 posts
670 upvotes
Etobicoke
Are you going to go off-road?
How's the space in your trunk? Are you going to use it in subways or busses?
It really depends on your needs. Do you need a lightweight one if you will be using public transport, or maybe one with larger wheels for going offroad (but super heavy) or something in between like a Graco combo.
I would go to Toys r us and try a few of them see if they will allow you to put them in your trunk to see how they fit and work for you and your partner.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2886 posts
1006 upvotes
Whichever you get, try and get one with larger diameter wheels, they handle terrain (pretty much any kind - sidewalk to grass in the park) much better than the smaller wheels (which can just get stuck in rocks on the sidewalk, etc). We got a handmedown stroller B-O-B Safe (it's 3 wheels, front wheel can lock straight) and also comes with real shock absorbers on each side. Really great even going through bumps and on park grass. The baby seat can snap into this stroller, Britax B-Safe. Very happy with both, we have now switched to the Graco 4Ever all-in-one.

The stroller is definitely on the heavier side, and although I can grab it folded out of the back of my SUV, I would say you need to have some muscle to do so. You will not likely be doing that if you have to be holding on the baby seat as well.

If you go to the store, place something heavy in the baby seat (7-10) and throw it in the baby seat for simulation.
Fold the stroller and try to lift it and set it up on a shelf trunk/hatch height with one arm.

Congratulations, you have no idea the roller coaster you are about to get on; enjoy as much as you can, it goes by in a blink!
You will hit rough patches, stay as positive as possible and be as supportive as possible to mommy especially during those times.

Good luck!
Mar 3, 2005
329 posts
191 upvotes
Im about to be a new mom and was in the same boat as you. I went mid range with the Peg Perego YPSI although some may argue that is high range. I loved uppababy but 1. Could not justify the price and 2. I hated that it came with a bassinet. There is so much more value to be had with a stroller and car seat travel system. If the uppababy was that price for car seat and stroller..i would have been all over it. But add car seat to tje mix and you are pushing 2k. I dont think so. But..they do have good resale value.
:cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5069 posts
3251 upvotes
Primary: Britax B-Safe with carrier - Best single hand handling and lightest weight at 17lbs. It was also on sale on Amazon for the lowest ever and came with a $50 Amazon gift card which I used for a Xbox One.

Secondary: Chicco Liteway. Bought it for travel, but it was a tiny tad heavy for travel as a 'big' umbrella stroller. 16lbs but built like a tank. Took it on 4-6 trips, planes and trains

Third and current: Mountain Buggy Nano. Best travel stroller, it was on sale lowest ever so we ordered it right away and sold the Chicco and britax. 12lbs and came with travel bag, super compact that came in handy while travelling in Japan and Boston, going up and down stairs was a breeze. Child in one arm, stroller in the other.
[OP]
Feb 5, 2019
105 posts
37 upvotes
durrsak wrote: Are you going to go off-road?
How's the space in your trunk? Are you going to use it in subways or busses?
It really depends on your needs. Do you need a lightweight one if you will be using public transport, or maybe one with larger wheels for going offroad (but super heavy) or something in between like a Graco combo.
I would go to Toys r us and try a few of them see if they will allow you to put them in your trunk to see how they fit and work for you and your partner.
Thank, I have a SUV now but might be downsizing to a hatchback next year depending on how my Rav holds up. I definitely plan on taking some trips to the stores to get some advice and test drives. Likely won't go much offroad. Maybe a walk in the park is the most offroad it would get.
[OP]
Feb 5, 2019
105 posts
37 upvotes
lolopie wrote: Im about to be a new mom and was in the same boat as you. I went mid range with the Peg Perego YPSI although some may argue that is high range. I loved uppababy but 1. Could not justify the price and 2. I hated that it came with a bassinet. There is so much more value to be had with a stroller and car seat travel system. If the uppababy was that price for car seat and stroller..i would have been all over it. But add car seat to tje mix and you are pushing 2k. I dont think so. But..they do have good resale value.
Appreciate the answer. Agreed, even for their lower end ones if it came with a car seat I would be all over it but of course business wise they want to make the most money they can. This is the reason it might just push me away. Appreciate the feedback and will look into Peg Prego
[OP]
Feb 5, 2019
105 posts
37 upvotes
vodka wrote: Whichever you get, try and get one with larger diameter wheels, they handle terrain (pretty much any kind - sidewalk to grass in the park) much better than the smaller wheels (which can just get stuck in rocks on the sidewalk, etc). We got a handmedown stroller B-O-B Safe (it's 3 wheels, front wheel can lock straight) and also comes with real shock absorbers on each side. Really great even going through bumps and on park grass. The baby seat can snap into this stroller, Britax B-Safe. Very happy with both, we have now switched to the Graco 4Ever all-in-one.

The stroller is definitely on the heavier side, and although I can grab it folded out of the back of my SUV, I would say you need to have some muscle to do so. You will not likely be doing that if you have to be holding on the baby seat as well.

If you go to the store, place something heavy in the baby seat (7-10) and throw it in the baby seat for simulation.
Fold the stroller and try to lift it and set it up on a shelf trunk/hatch height with one arm.

Congratulations, you have no idea the roller coaster you are about to get on; enjoy as much as you can, it goes by in a blink!
You will hit rough patches, stay as positive as possible and be as supportive as possible to mommy especially during those times.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for the all the advice. I will definitely look to make sure the wheels are larger especially with the baby expected to come in the winter I"m sure it can only help. Also appreciate the tips on testing the hardware before purchasing.

I know I'm in for a roller coaster. Excited and scared at the time. However I still cannot wait! =)
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12352 posts
4858 upvotes
Toronto
lolopie wrote: Im about to be a new mom and was in the same boat as you. I went mid range with the Peg Perego YPSI although some may argue that is high range. I loved uppababy but 1. Could not justify the price and 2. I hated that it came with a bassinet. There is so much more value to be had with a stroller and car seat travel system. If the uppababy was that price for car seat and stroller..i would have been all over it. But add car seat to tje mix and you are pushing 2k. I dont think so. But..they do have good resale value.
You do not need to get the one with the bassinet.

I believe the Cruz V2 doesn't have the bassinet. The car seat sell separately at $500ish
So the car seat + the Stroller will cost about $1300 ish and they rarely have a sale.

My wife is due in November, so I'm in the market for one of those.
We went to West Coast Kids and the staff shows us the Uppababy CruzV2, we were amazed. It is light and many stuff is just one clip away and adjustable handle + UV protection.

Yes, it is toward the expensive end, but we figure the stroller will last 4 years and can probably resell it after. We hate to buy something cheaper and then regret that why we did not go for the better option since we knew about it.
Last edited by MP3_SKY on Jul 18th, 2020 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Mar 3, 2005
329 posts
191 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote: You do not need to get the one with the bassinet.

I believe the Cruz V2 doesn't have the bassinet. The car seat sell separately at $500ish
So the car seat + the Stroller will cost about $1300 ish and they rarely have a sale.

My wife is due in November, so I'm in the market for one of those.
We went to West Coast Kids and the staff shows us the Uppababy CruzV2, we were amazed. It is light and make stuff is just one clip away and adjustable.

Yes, it is toward the expensive end, but we figure the stroller will last 4 years and can probably resell it after. We hate to buy something cheaper and then regret that why we did not go for the better option since we knew about it.
You are certainly right. I should have specified i was talking about the vista. I like the vista much more than the cruz. I liked the bigger wheels and it just felt more sturdier to me...but that being said, it is also heavier.
I like the peg perego though. Made in italy and beautiful. I am happy with it!
:cheesygri
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
3027 posts
734 upvotes
we used a Peg Perego Book Plus 2, super light and can be push with one hand, we original wanted to get the Uppababy Vista, but heavier compare to the Peg Perego so it was harder for wife to manage putting into SUV. Still solid after 2 kids, sitting in basement now, should really get rid of it to free up space

they have the Uppababy Cruz now, smaller and lighter then the Vista
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2227 posts
1753 upvotes
We had a Britax Bsafe and were glad we didnt spend 3x on an uppababy. We used it for just over a year and once he learned to walk he no longer wanted to be in it. Around that age we got a trike to push him around in which he loved. Rather than being sunken in in a stroller to rot, the trike allowed him to sit straight with full view of his surroundings and for him to "steer". It got tons of compliments from parents and random ppl at malls.

We also had a Maclaren umbrella stroller we used much more once he was out of the carrier.
Mar 20, 2018
121 posts
103 upvotes
I'm a soon to be father as well. My cousin's gave me their BOB jogging stroller and uppababy Cruz. Both are very good at their specific use.

Either way, check online for used uppababy and you'll find great deals.

I power washed my strollers and any stains I lightly brushed out with stain remover.
😎
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2552 posts
2498 upvotes
Ottawa
It depends a lot on what you need. Travel? Walks around the neighborhood? Lugging to the mall? Hiking, jogging, skiing, biking?

We actually have 3 for 3 different uses:
  • Uppababy Cruz we bought used for $400. The seller included an adapter for our car seat and an infant insert that allowed us to use the stroller from birth. The seat lies almost flat.
  • A Chariot Sport single that we use for running and biking. With the jogging wheel, it cost us ~$1200 (new and on sale).
  • A Mountain Buggy Nano that cost us ~$200 (new and on sale). It folds up great for travel. We can actually securely attach our travel car seat (Cosco Scenera Next) to it to push our boy through the airport, so we don't have to carry the car seat separately.

These days, with our 2 year old, the Uppababy is used around the neighborhood when our boy doesn't feel like walking or using his tricycle.
The Mountain Buggy stays in the car for malls, and we use it for travel, because it's super light and compact.
The Chariot is used when I take him for a jog or bike ride.

When we go on a hike, it kind of depends on what terrain we expect. We often use the Mountain Buggy, though, because of how light and compact it is.
Last edited by Dynatos on Jul 20th, 2020 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12812 posts
2915 upvotes
Toronto
I'd ask are you a condo dweller, semi-owner in Toronto, or larger detach owner? Size will probably be factors (more premium for smaller, more Cadillac cushion style for burbs).
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2003
1212 posts
328 upvotes
Dynatos wrote: It depends a lot on what you need. Travel? Walks around the neighborhood? Lugging to the mall? Hiking, jogging, skiing, biking?

We actually have 3 for 3 different uses:
  • Uppababy Cruz we bought used for $400. The seller included an adapter for our car seat and an infant insert that allowed us to use the stroller from birth. The seat lies almost flat.
  • A Chariot Sport single that we use for running and biking. With the jogging wheel, it cost us ~$1200 (new and on sale).
  • A Mountain Buggy Nano that cost us ~$200 (new and on sale). It folds up great for travel. We can actually securely attach our travel car seat (Cosco Scenera Next) to it to push our boy through the airport, so we don't have to carry the car seat separately.

These days, with our 2 year old, the Uppababy is used around the neighborhood when our boy doesn't feel like walking or using his tricycle.
The Mountain Buggy stays in the car for malls, and we use it for travel, because it's super light and compact.
The Chariot is used when I take him for a jog or bike ride.

When we go on a hike, it kind of depends on what terrain we expect. We often use the Mountain Buggy, though, because of how light and compact it is.
+1 on the Mountain Buggy Nano. This was actually the only one I have. I travelled quite a bit with my little one from 3 months on, this "was" (4 years ago) the only one that is umbrella stroller sized but allows to strap on a bucket car seat. It's small, light and very easy to open and close, and takes so little space in the trunk, you will eventually appreciate it when you see other people's Uppababy and City Select. During my hikes or other places where my Nano might not be handle, I just have a separate baby carrier to carry him around. More importantly it's only $2-300 + $100-150 for the bucket car seat.

You just have to find a combination that works for you, instead of the "best" and most expensive stroller with lots of functionality. The Uppababy will always get voted to be the one you should buy. Try opening and closing strollers at Toys R Us, think of your everyday habits and where you both go mostly, and if the stroller would even fit in your life (ie. a 1 bedroom condo vs a house and a Honda fit vs a CRV)
Images
  • Capture+_2020-08-02-08-22-07.png
  • Capture+_2020-08-02-08-22-37.png
  • Capture+_2020-08-02-08-23-32.png
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4484 posts
2967 upvotes
get a lightweight, foldable stroller and save the headaches. Bought a full blown one and oh god just lugging it up and down stairs was a workout. Then wife said F it and bought a GB collapsible pram and been taking that all the time. Bring it with you on the airplane is just so so easy, even some mom's was asking is that a pram? where did you buy it?
Jun 2, 2017
763 posts
381 upvotes
The Agio Z3 from Pegperego is my suggestion and is our primary stroller.

https://us.pegperego.com/baby/agio-z3

Highlights that worked for me:
-One handed push (3 wheel over 4 means you can navigate easily even with one hand)
-Newborn and up
-Smooth wheels
-Large basket
-Huge Canopy
-The pegperego car seat clicks right in

I recommend trying what works best for you as well. Just don't make the mistake some people do and jus go right to Uppababy based on the name alone and/or cause one of your peers has it

I did get a another used stroller called a Quinny Zapp Flex Plus at my parents house for very cheap. I used this one as more a casual stroller and it moves very smooth and would prefer this one for long distance walks.

http://www.quinny.com/strollers-buggy/zapp-flex-plus/
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10118 posts
977 upvotes
Toronto
Something small and light weight, as soon as they start walking, you be uisng the stroller much unless you walk alot like malls etc, all depends on your life style and think about the winters
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."