Automotive

Best tape to use to block off grill during winter to increase my hybrid's MPG?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2017 9:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54769 posts
19568 upvotes

Best tape to use to block off grill during winter to increase my hybrid's MPG?

I find duct tape being the most resilient (used one to cover the gap around my tail light when we backed the car into a post a long time ago and it lasts much longer than the automotive tape with fabric backing I used before likely because of UV ) but not sure if it can damage the 3M protective film around the bumper area.

I'm considering blocking off the lower grill to improve the MPG by 1-3.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/109-4-4 ... iator.html

1) Anyone know what kind of tape adhesive won't ruin the 3M film so I can use it as a "primer" before taping with duct tape? I think in Sweden, they used duct tape and cardboard but I may just use duct tape to play it safe.
2) Will it really improve MPG? It's a hybrid vehicle so the less frequent the gasoline engine has to start up, the better the MPG.
13 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12441 posts
7032 upvotes
Brampton
Zip tie something like this to your grill. Hyper milers use this to make underpans and wheel pans.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... f533PpNcKZ

Best part is it'll be free during election time! Just spray it black!

Of course it's also reusable +1 on ecofriendly!
Last edited by tebore on Oct 3rd, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17318 posts
19350 upvotes
Oakville
I put some car cardboard behind my grill in front of my radiator to help speed up engine heating and keep it warm after that. I make sure to fold the cardboard accordion like so that it blocks high speed flow while driving, but keep a gap so that the rad fan could still pull in air if it needed on a slower drive.
I've also used an old folding sunshade that worked pretty well.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Selling 18x8 Winter Wheels/Tires 225/60R-18 for Audi Q5, A5, Mercedes, PM for info, lots of tread.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.ht ... 1589757439
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2713 upvotes
ON
What does your grill look like?
If it has horizontal slats, just use foam pipe wrap. You can wedge it over the slats and it will stay where it needs to be. No adhesives necessary.

Random pic from net used zip ties, but depending on the vehicle might not be necessary if wedged in properly.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54769 posts
19568 upvotes
aqnd wrote: What does your grill look like?
If it has horizontal slats, just use foam pipe wrap. You can wedge it over the slats and it will stay where it needs to be. No adhesives necessary.

Random pic from net used zip ties, but depending on the vehicle might not be necessary if wedged in properly.
Should I block just the bottom as per Swede in that forum thread :)
https://imgur.com/a/0SOw5
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2713 upvotes
ON
Ahh, the honeycomb is a bit harder.
I'd second tebore's suggestion in that case.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
27906 posts
4203 upvotes
Montreal
tk1000 wrote: afaik, active grill shutters are used to reduce aerodynamic drag thus improving fuel efficiency

Active shutters are not used to make the engine heat faster and keep it warm in the winter.
Inst that what op is doing?

Your coolant usually doesn't circulate until the engine is warm so blocking the grille changes nothing.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54769 posts
19568 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: Inst that what op is doing?

Your coolant usually doesn't circulate until the engine is warm so blocking the grille changes nothing.
Torque from Sweden swears by it and I'm sure Sweden has longer winters than us. I haven't done it but it doesn't sound preposterous.

Didn't know coolant doesn't circulate until the engine reaches normal operating temperature. Learning something new everyday.
Last edited by alanbrenton on Oct 3rd, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17318 posts
19350 upvotes
Oakville

Yes, but less air flowing through the engine bay means the engine will warm up quicker. Blocking the grill also improves aerodynamics.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Selling 18x8 Winter Wheels/Tires 225/60R-18 for Audi Q5, A5, Mercedes, PM for info, lots of tread.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.ht ... 1589757439
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8594 upvotes
GTHA
My mistake, active grille shutters can be used to reduce warm-up time.
I though it was just for aerodynamics. :facepalm:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54769 posts
19568 upvotes
tk1000 wrote: My mistake, active grille shutters can be used to reduce warm-up time.
I though it was just for aerodynamics. :facepalm:
Like on the Mazda's?