Computers & Electronics

Best time/place to buy a laptop ($300-400) and advice?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2021 12:29 am
Tags:
[OP]
Member
Jan 21, 2019
232 posts
204 upvotes

Best time/place to buy a laptop ($300-400) and advice?

Hi there, I'm trying to help my Dad look for potential laptop upgrades. His current one is from 2014 or so, a Dell Inspiron 3521 (Pentium 2127U @ 1.90 GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD).

I saw some decent refurbished deals from other sellers on bestbuy.ca, but I'm unsure of the warranty with refurbished and the risk involved (how old are the parts, quality, etc).

Any tips on some places to watch for deals or a good time for sales? Any recommendations in the $300-400 range (could push the budget a bit more if the deal is great)? He only likes the 15-17" screens. Or, would a RAM upgrade (max 8GB I think) and a sata solid state drive be a worthwhile consideration? Thanks!
Last edited by adamthemute on Aug 23rd, 2021 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4903 posts
1942 upvotes
+1000000 on a SSD drive, basically a must. If all you dad is doing with the laptop is web browsing and light office work, an SSD upgrade on his current computer and maybe bump up to 8gb of ram might do the trick.

The goto refurb place for office laptops on RFD is bauer systems. https://www.bauersystems.com/ They should have some choices within your price range.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1390 posts
1012 upvotes
Mississauga
adamthemute wrote: Hi there, I'm trying to help my Dad look for potential laptop upgrades. His current one is from 2014 or so, a Dell Inspiron 3521 (Pentium 2127U @ 1.90 GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD).

I saw some decent refurbished deals from other sellers on bestbuy.ca, but I'm unsure of the warranty with refurbished and the risk involved (how old are the parts, quality, etc).

Any tips on some places to watch for deals or a good time for sales? Any recommendations in the $300-400 range (could push the budget a bit more if the deal is great)? He only likes the 15-17" screens. Or, would a RAM upgrade (max 8GB I think) and a sata solid state drive be a worthwhile consideration? Thanks!
upgrade the HDD with SSD and it will be like a whole different laptop.

That price range won't blow you away anyways. depending on his use chromebook may be worth a look.

also like coilz said that site is decent but also check dellrefurbs and see what they may have
[OP]
Member
Jan 21, 2019
232 posts
204 upvotes
DeletedMemories wrote: upgrade the HDD with SSD and it will be like a whole different laptop.

That price range won't blow you away anyways. depending on his use chromebook may be worth a look.

also like coilz said that site is decent but also check dellrefurbs and see what they may have
Sounds good, thanks. Is dellrefurbs the same as https://ca.refurb.io? I also see https://www.dellrefurbished.com but it looks to be a US site?
[OP]
Member
Jan 21, 2019
232 posts
204 upvotes
coilz wrote: +1000000 on a SSD drive, basically a must. If all you dad is doing with the laptop is web browsing and light office work, an SSD upgrade on his current computer and maybe bump up to 8gb of ram might do the trick.

The goto refurb place for office laptops on RFD is bauer systems. https://www.bauersystems.com/ They should have some choices within your price range.
Thanks, never seen that site I'll keep a lookout. I may just source a cheaper SSD and RAM upgrade for now with these praises

Top