Cell Phones

Best time to sign up for a mobile contract?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2020 7:39 pm
[OP]
Feb 11, 2011
48 posts
5 upvotes
GTA

Best time to sign up for a mobile contract?

For the last 8 years, I've been upgrading my phone and renewing my contract every 2 years, specifically between December 24 - 26, in order to capitalize on the best deals. It seems like every Christmas, the best deals come from Best Buy Mobile or Wal Mart Moble (rather than directly through the service provider) and typically they look something like $100 off the phone and $100 gift card.

I got an iPhone 8 in December 2018, which was already 2 generations behind, and now it's getting pretty rough. I'm planning to wait until December to go out and brave the lineups to hopefully pull off another low-cost upgrade. Black Friday has never seemed to be useful for mobile phone contracts.

Can anyone else chime in and let me know whether this is really the best way to optimize upgrading every 2 years or has anyone else ever seen sporadic deals throughout the year that beat what I've mentioned here?
13 replies
Sep 4, 2008
80 posts
252 upvotes
Cambridge
Wrong section, try posting in the cell phone section.
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
12297 posts
20071 upvotes
In my case Black Friday is usually pretty good
Oct 1, 2019
10 posts
2 upvotes
I’ve had success in September with back to school deals.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
2880 posts
1012 upvotes
Lethbridge
Right now for back to school is decent. Black Friday & Christmas generally also have better deals. Best advice is to always be watching.

Only other thing I can add is don't be afraid to hop around between carriers, often the bonus gift cards/promos are only for new customers. Outside of Freedom, the big 3 all have generally the same coverage nationwide (although there are exceptions)

ie: Wife got her phone stolen this weekend at the mall - Koodo was going to match the current data promos, but nothing for phone outside of standard tab/financing for the couple she was looking at, no promos or bill credits... Signed up with Fido instead at Costco for the same $50/9GB plan and phone but with $300 Costco gift card.
Last edited by Pauly Boy on Aug 24th, 2020 11:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dec 13, 2016
351 posts
196 upvotes
GTA
When you see good deals, that you can get on your account. Best deal comes on before the school open, Black Friday, Boxing Day! Friends and Family, and EPP Corporate Account..
FreedomMobile
DakilangMangingibig
Aug 21, 2019
390 posts
248 upvotes
BC
End of the year / start of new year on prev years phones / when new model come out
Jan 13, 2019
171 posts
251 upvotes
Pauly Boy wrote: Signed up with Fido instead at Costco for the same $50/9GB plan and phone but with $300 Costco gift card.
What phone did you get the $300 card with?
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
2880 posts
1012 upvotes
Lethbridge
mybadreligon wrote: What phone did you get the $300 card with?
LG Velvet. Was $0 down @ $20/m for 2 years
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2005
1586 posts
2149 upvotes
St Clements, MB
IMHO, the current offer on the LG Velvet is only $100 (after tax) better than when it was launched less than a month ago.

I'm currently looking for deals on a Samsung Galaxy S10, and I've been disappointed because the offers have been worse that what was on offer during March Madness. Since May the best offer I've seen offered for the S10 was $20/mo without any instore credit, points or gift card offers.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)