• Jan 23rd, 2019 4:46 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 2, 2005
10 posts
nepean

Best TV on the market now?

BEST TV ON THE MARKET TODAY??

I have been doing research on the Sony TV compared to Samsung, LG and Vizio and all research is showing that the Sony TV is better in terms of quality and comparability to the other brands.
There is the most common 65 inch but if you want a bigger tv, a huge jump in price for the 75 inch.
Costco carries a better warranty and price as January 5, 2019. So 65 inch is $2000 and 75 inch is $3500.
Costco gives 2 year warranty and 90 day return. Add another 3 years for $100 and get 5 years. Get the warranty as it is only $100 for 5 year coverage $20 a year... these tvs have so many parts and functions, anything could go.
BestBuy is now $2300 and $4000 for the same TV so Costco beats this price by a mile.
The latest is the 900 series...
Sony 65" 4K UHD HDR LED Android Smart TV (XBR65X900F)
Sony 75" 4K UHD HDR LED Android Smart TV (XBR75X900F)

You could always go up the levels but this is a great mid/high range TV.
13 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12089 posts
8390 upvotes
Edmonton
Wrong forum (shopping discussion)...

Bought my 65” 900e during last year’s Boxing Day sales, and very happy with it. One of the best upscaling tv’s I saw, and that’s an under-rated feature. People don’t realize how little 4k content is actually out there, but get seduced by the showroom demos

C
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19122 posts
5116 upvotes
Toronto
Best TV on the market right now is Sony A1E/A9F OLED or LG C8 (or above) OLED. Both use LG OLED panels. The Sonys have better motion handling but the LGs have a better and more responsive interface.

The Panasonics which also use LG OLEDs also have great reviews with great colour accuracy, but do not support Dolby Vision.

The LEDs you posted are excellent TVs, but really aren't in the same league as the OLEDs for most usage.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2184 posts
1062 upvotes
Saint John
In this premium price range it seems rather misguided to be considering a non-OLED TV. Not sure how much you've researched current TV panel technology, OP, but *do not* be confused with "LED" and OLED.

OLED panels actually use LEDs to compose the image and have only been available in consumer television sets for about 5 years (during which time they've massively come down in price... from $10K+ to $2K for a ~50-inch panel). LED TVs use the same LCD panels that have been in displays for 20 years; they're just lit by LEDs instead of CCFL lamps. The "LED" marketing label is just that - pure marketing BS.
Dec 3, 2018
345 posts
321 upvotes
After my research and budget constraints I bought Vizio p65-f1 at $1299. I compared my tv before buying and I feel it is better than the most.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19122 posts
5116 upvotes
Toronto
Hsharpreet wrote: After my research and budget constraints I bought Vizio p65-f1 at $1299. I compared my tv before buying and I feel it is better than the most.
It's a reasonably priced mid-tier TV. Unfortunately, the OLEDs cost over twice as much.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1434 posts
140 upvotes
GTA
Hsharpreet wrote: After my research and budget constraints I bought Vizio p65-f1 at $1299. I compared my tv before buying and I feel it is better than the most.
Thats the word on the street. Too bad i ordered mine 3 weeks ago.. Still hasnt shown up. The shipping company costco uses(SAMEDAY) is a joke.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33543 posts
7221 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
sribee wrote: BEST TV ON THE MARKET TODAY??
OLED aside

I did what @CNeufeld did and purchased an XBR65X900E during Boxing Day last year. It was actually cheaper during Black Friday ($100 less) but I waited till boxing day and it was $100 more.

Here is what I have determined from my research.

LG panels that are IPS have the best picture from all angles.
Sony has Android TV and that was a big factor in my decision on the XBR65X900E

The XBR65X900F is a great choice, but we are in CES week. I suspect the XBV65X900G will be announced

I also anticipate that the prices are coming down for 2019. You will see 65" move to the $1299 price point and 75" hitting $1999
Dec 3, 2018
345 posts
321 upvotes
Oh really! Mine wasn't started by Costco for a week and I called them & they said it is about to be shipped. Shown at my doorstep within 48 hours after shipped.

Must tell you that it is one of the best TV really
Dec 3, 2018
345 posts
321 upvotes
When I went through some videos, I found that OLEDs brightness is 1000 and Samsung QLED is 2000. Some TVs have bad motion rate, panel, quality or something. Thats why they create different model at different prices by changing slightly.

Vizio have great brightness, 5 HDMIs(one low latency for gaming), good picture quality, 2000 level brightness and less than half the price.

OLED and other higher end TVs might be better, it depends upon your budget too, if you can afford it than definitely go for higher models.

I am also planning to buy Vizio home theater with Dolby Atmos which is around $600 at Costco but on boxing these were $500. I will wait for price drop.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12089 posts
8390 upvotes
Edmonton
Btw... there’s no way I’d claim the 900e (or f, or g) is the “best tv on the market”. I do think it’s one of the best ones at its price point, but I doubt it’s the one I’d buy if I won a 60M LottoMax... This TV would be going into the dog room! :)

C
Aug 14, 2006
959 posts
90 upvotes
EugW wrote: Best TV on the market right now is Sony A1E/A9F OLED or LG C8 (or above) OLED. Both use LG OLED panels. The Sonys have better motion handling but the LGs have a better and more responsive interface.

The Panasonics which also use LG OLEDs also have great reviews with great colour accuracy, but do not support Dolby Vision.

The LEDs you posted are excellent TVs, but really aren't in the same league as the OLEDs for most usage.
Panasonic is releasing a model GZ2000 4K OLDED this quarter from my understanding, and it will have HDR10+ and Dolby Vision with Dolby Atmos as well. They are even resurrecting their Technics brand too.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1095 posts
331 upvotes
Fraser Valley, BC
"Best TV" is probably the most expensive TV in a certain size category. But does the purchaser really need all the features of a top-end model? It depends on what the purchaser is going to watch. High end TVs will do a great job on 4K movies (if you have a good source) but won't make ordinary TV programs look much better than a cheap TV.

It's like deciding which car to buy. You might figure a BMW M3 (or whatever) is the "best" mid-size car. So you buy one. But mostly you just drive 2 Km to the grocery store a couple of times a week. In this case the expensive car is a waste of money.
Aug 4, 2006
611 posts
272 upvotes
GTA - Gwilly
ids748 wrote: ...They are even resurrecting their Technics brand too.
Sweet!