• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2020 12:30 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2007
1595 posts
448 upvotes

Best TV for next-gen gaming?

I'm thinking about possibly upgrading my TV. However, there doesn't seem to be many options that are available currently that have HDMI 2.1 and 4K 120hz.

The LG CX is very good but too expensive for me.

The only other 2 that might have decent BF prices are the Sony 900H and Samsung Q80T.

Currently: 65" Sony ~$1700, Samsung ~$2100

The Sony still needs a firmware update for HDMI 2.1.

Might be worth waiting another year to upgrade?
9 replies
Oct 30, 2019
94 posts
199 upvotes
I am planning to buy the PS5 and the Sony X900H that supports HDMI 2.1 pending Android 11 upgrade (off topic: they should of called it HDMI 3.0)

Another thing to mention is that your AV receiver and all components along the chain must support HDMI 2.1 or else it won't work. For HDMI 2.1 to work you need to plug in directly to the TV and route the audio through the receiver.
Mar 20, 2009
461 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
You're in the same boat as me. I'd like to see more HDMI 2.1 and ideally, G-Sync, options come to market. Maybe the 2021 TV lineup with give some more options.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5365 posts
1001 upvotes
calgary
If your are not going to get the CX i'd consider waiting if you can as its the only TV on the market that really checks all the boxes for Next Gen Gaming (4K, HDR, Dolby Vision, VRR, 120HZ).
Aug 20, 2009
7855 posts
2706 upvotes
Grimsby
I posted a longer review in a hot deals thread last month but I bought a Sony X900H to replace a broken TCL tv in our basement. We have an LG OLED upstairs and I'm fairly critical but the X900H is a fantastic TV, these full array local dimming sets have come a long way. Sony has the best motion processing in the business and the featureset is very good for the money. I do most of my gaming on it and zero issues. It runs Android TV and does very well as a media streamer too, the SoC is nearly as responsive as our Shield TV.

I suspect the firmware upgrade for VRR/etc will land in November with the PS5 launch as they've done some advertising already with it featured.

I weighed the price against Hisense, TCL and others but I wanted the better motion processing and QC. Anyways great TV if you don't want to wait. Otherwise yeah there will be more options in Q2ish 2021.

Edit: Here's the link to the post I wrote about it in more detail
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3842 posts
1047 upvotes
Redmask wrote: I posted a longer review in a hot deals thread last month but I bought a Sony X900H to replace a broken TCL tv in our basement. We have an LG OLED upstairs and I'm fairly critical but the X900H is a fantastic TV, these full array local dimming sets have come a long way. Sony has the best motion processing in the business and the featureset is very good for the money. I do most of my gaming on it and zero issues. It runs Android TV and does very well as a media streamer too, the SoC is nearly as responsive as our Shield TV.

I suspect the firmware upgrade for VRR/etc will land in November with the PS5 launch as they've done some advertising already with it featured.

I weighed the price against Hisense, TCL and others but I wanted the better motion processing and QC. Anyways great TV if you don't want to wait. Otherwise yeah there will be more options in Q2ish 2021.

Edit: Here's the link to the post I wrote about it in more detail
That's good to hear, I'm planning on getting a 85" 900H during Black Friday or Boxing day, hope they have some good deals. I've put off getting a new TV 2 black fridays in a row so might as well go BIG!!! I was thinking about a cheaper Sony set, the 800H but I really want the full array dimming and HDMI 2.1 seeing how I'll likely get a PS5 during one of those SDM redeem the points events.
Aug 20, 2009
7855 posts
2706 upvotes
Grimsby
I contacted support and basically got a response saying that the firmware update for the X900H is just waiting for the Android TV 11 update since it has the Auto Low Latency Mode support in it. It's been in previews since July so hopefully in the next month or two going by previous Android TV phases.
Oct 30, 2019
94 posts
199 upvotes
There's Black Friday coming up but what about Prime Day? I heard that's coming soon as well.
Aug 20, 2009
7855 posts
2706 upvotes
Grimsby
Prime Day usually has "dump deals" where they are clearing inventory, its rarely anything decent. A friend of mine who worked at Amazon joked about it even. You can find decent deals on bedroom TVs or stuff for watching while you work out but typically not on anything of quality with the kinds of features the OP wants.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)