Entertainment

Best TV: What Is The Best Thing You Have Watched On The Small Screen?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2020 10:10 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 3, 2009
10159 posts
4313 upvotes
Toronto

Best TV: What Is The Best Thing You Have Watched On The Small Screen?

I thought there might be a need for a thread for anyone to just post a rec for the best TV shows, old or new, that they are watching now, like or loved, or loved but can't find anywhere.

I am liking:
For All Mankind. The new Apple TV+ Ronald D. Moore show that asks the question how would history have changed if the Soviets had beaten the Americans to the moon by a few weeks.
It's a drama mixing fictional characters, with real characters, and slowly twisting historical events.




From The Earth To The Moon (1998)
Always a favorite of mine. The Imagine/Tom Hanks produced 12 part HBO mini series about the Apollo program.
Not a documentary, but 12 stories dramatizing different aspects and the human stories involved in that massive undertaking. Getting a man to the moon in 9 years.

I would give my life to protect your right to say something really funking stupid.
260 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 12, 2005
9261 posts
1472 upvotes
Victoria
For All Mankind is ok for the 3 eps I've watched. Kind of interesting, but also kind of pointless. I loved From the Earth to the Moon.

I think the best thing I ever watched on TV was Band of Brothers (HBO). It was amazing and I could watch it over and over again. It also seems to withstand the test of time (being almost 20 years old). There's some stuff I enjoyed very much in my youth (the 80s) but it's hard to watch old shows like that now.

My Runner-Ups:

Deadwood
The Leftovers (Season 2 to be specific).
Lost
Game of Thrones (first 5 seasons)
Doctor Who (2005) - First 6.5ish seasons
Breaking Bad

Deadwood is my favourite TV show of all time, but BoB is a miniseries so it win's on technicality :)

I'm sure there's a few more I'm not thinking of.

There's plenty of shows I watch and enjoy. There's very few that feel like 60 minutes passed it 2 minutes.
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 3, 2009
10159 posts
4313 upvotes
Toronto
zod wrote: For All Mankind is ok for the 3 eps I've watched. Kind of interesting, but also kind of pointless. I loved From the Earth to the Moon.

I think the best thing I ever watched on TV was Band of Brothers (HBO). It was amazing and I could watch it over and over again. It also seems to withstand the test of time (being almost 20 years old). There's some stuff I enjoyed very much in my youth (the 80s) but it's hard to watch old shows like that now.

My Runner-Ups:

Deadwood
The Leftovers (Season 2 to be specific).
Lost
Game of Thrones (first 5 seasons)
Doctor Who (2005) - First 6.5ish seasons
Breaking Bad

Deadwood is my favourite TV show of all time, but BoB is a miniseries so it win's on technicality :)

I'm sure there's a few more I'm not thinking of.

There's plenty of shows I watch and enjoy. There's very few that feel like 60 minutes passed it 2 minutes.
I found the first episode of FAM good but a bit slow. I liked the series much better as it progressed, though. I think it has the potential to become really intriguing as it diverges further and further from history. If they don't get too wild with the alternate future plot points.

Come to think of it I don't think I ever completed BoB. I was on board for 4-5 episodes, and somehow got side tracked in the middle.

Personal Favorite Doctor Who, new era, episodes: 3-1 Smith and Jones, 3-10 Blink, 5-1 The Eleventh Hour, Waters of Mars,and Planet of the Dead, specials.

I liked the first season of Warrior last year.
Big budget action set in a messy, corrupt,1890's San Francisco china town. Beautifully choreographed fight scenes. Tongs, Prostitutes, crooked Politicians and cops, and Kung Fu, Whats not to love.

Last edited by idiotcanuck on Nov 7th, 2019 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would give my life to protect your right to say something really funking stupid.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 24, 2006
1079 posts
469 upvotes
GTA
All the BBC Earth docs; Blue Planet 1&2, Planet Earth 1&2, Life, The Hunt, Dynasties, Frozen Planet, Human Planet etc. They are all epic.
"Just because something is on sale doesn't mean a) you can afford it, b) you should buy it, c) you need it, d) you're not spending far more buying it than not buying it at all"
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 3, 2009
10159 posts
4313 upvotes
Toronto
ndiniwachojeff wrote: All the BBC Earth docs; Blue Planet 1&2, Planet Earth 1&2, Life, The Hunt, Dynasties, Frozen Planet, Human Planet etc. They are all epic.
Anything with David Attenborough works for me.

I also like his 3 part series about the origins of, and different evolution's of, flight, Conquest of the Skies.
I would give my life to protect your right to say something really funking stupid.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
4710 posts
2021 upvotes
Global Village
I would add The Americans, The West Wing and Better Call Saul to some already mentioned, they stand the test of time pretty well.
All day I dream about sports
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 3, 2009
10159 posts
4313 upvotes
Toronto
scoper wrote: I would add The Americans, The West Wing and Better Call Saul to some already mentioned, they stand the test of time pretty well.
Really liked the first season of The Americans, but just missed the boat on subsequent seasons.
The West Wing is a classic, no one makes smart political commentary shows like that any more. Then again, no one but Aaron Sorkin has that kind of commitment. Who else could essentially write four whole seasons of a show themselves, and be willing to do enough coke to kill a herd of elephants to accomplish it. That's commitment to ones art.
I would give my life to protect your right to say something really funking stupid.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 24, 2006
1079 posts
469 upvotes
GTA
idiotcanuck wrote: Anything with David Attenborough works for me.
Even though it’s the same footage, the ones narrated by other people just aren’t as good. That man is a treasure.
"Just because something is on sale doesn't mean a) you can afford it, b) you should buy it, c) you need it, d) you're not spending far more buying it than not buying it at all"
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 3, 2009
10159 posts
4313 upvotes
Toronto
ndiniwachojeff wrote: Even though it’s the same footage, the ones narrated by other people just aren’t as good. That man is a treasure.
I would be happy to just be alive and drawing breath at his age. He's tramping through rain forests, performing in and narrating new projects every year.
I would give my life to protect your right to say something really funking stupid.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7562 posts
4154 upvotes
Toronto
Recent favorites - The Deuce, Mindhunter, Chernobyl, Ozark, Stranger Things, Wu Tang Of Mics and Men, When They See Us, Black Mirror, Westworld

All Time favorites - The Wire, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Chappelle's Show, LOST, Breaking Bad, Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, The Office, Entourage

zod wrote: Deadwood is my favourite TV show of all time, but BoB is a miniseries so it win's on technicality :)
Did you watch the Deadwood movie yet and what did you think? I only watched the series within the past year and thought both were incredible. Definitely a top all time series. It was cool seeing the cast I knew like Unser from SoA and Skylar from BB looking younger in those earlier roles
ndiniwachojeff wrote: All the BBC Earth docs; Blue Planet 1&2, Planet Earth 1&2, Life, The Hunt, Dynasties, Frozen Planet, Human Planet etc. They are all epic.
Thanks for reminding me that I still need to check out the recent "Our Planet". Planet Earth 2 is probably the most visually stunning thing ever shot and it's awesome that it's all just real life.
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 3, 2009
10159 posts
4313 upvotes
Toronto
Redsanta wrote: Pron
We need some specific Pron recs?
Like, A Girl, Her Poodle, and a Jar Of Jiffy (Peanut Butter).Electric Light Bulb One of my favorites.Winking Face
I would give my life to protect your right to say something really funking stupid.
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 3, 2009
10159 posts
4313 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote: Recent favorites - The Deuce, Mindhunter, Chernobyl, Ozark, Stranger Things, Wu Tang Of Mics and Men, When They See Us, Black Mirror, Westworld

All Time favorites - The Wire, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Chappelle's Show, LOST, Breaking Bad, Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, The Office, Entourage




Did you watch the Deadwood movie yet and what did you think? I only watched the series within the past year and thought both were incredible. Definitely a top all time series. It was cool seeing the cast I knew like Unser from SoA and Skylar from BB looking younger in those earlier roles



Thanks for reminding me that I still need to check out the recent "Our Planet". Planet Earth 2 is probably the most visually stunning thing ever shot and it's awesome that it's all just real life.
Thanks.
When They See Us and Mindhunter weren't on my radar at all. I will have to check them out.
Chernobyl was a great show. Like watching a car crash, but facinating.

I also really liked Manhunt:Unabomber on Netflix a few years back. About profiling and using it to catch Ted Kaczyinski. Sam Worthington, Paul Bettany, Chris Noth. Great acting from all, especially Paul Bettany.

Last edited by idiotcanuck on Nov 10th, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would give my life to protect your right to say something really funking stupid.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
9283 posts
1939 upvotes
Winnipeg
sherlock bbc
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7562 posts
4154 upvotes
Toronto
idiotcanuck wrote: When They See Us and Mindhunter weren't on my radar at all. I will have to check them out.
Chernobyl was a great show. Like watching a car crash, but facinating.
When They See Us and Mindhunter are similar to Chernobyl in the sense that they're based on real events which are hard to believe really happened but they did. There's also a Oprah special on Netflix where she interviews the real people When They See Us is based on. It's such a messed up story

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)