Entertainment

Best TV: What Is The Best Thing You Have Watched On The Small Screen?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2024 3:04 pm
Banned
May 9, 2018
287 posts
114 upvotes
Currently watching the following:

1. Lincoln Rhime bone collector

2. Berlin Station

3. COBRA - UK sky TV with Robert Carlyle
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Added to my list @#18 again ☺️

Preacher…just started this and looks promising. Love supernatural stuff and this is like a cross between Constantine and Banshee.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2015
3607 posts
5352 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Psychopathetic wrote: My current fave is Lucifer. I just find the whole cast very charismatic, with Tom Ellis leading the way.
You had to know the devil would be Welsh :)
S1 was good. But now they've just made it a procedural 'chick show'. The supernatural element is out the window, which is the stopping point for me.
Can't stand procedurals, personally.
I mean just look at the poster for the show on Netflix, topless Ellis ...
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2015
3607 posts
5352 upvotes
Toronto, ON
tranquility922 wrote: Another update to #18:

Edit 6:
Messiah...Is he really or just a trickster? Set in backdrop of Middle East turmoil, int'l spy agencies, another compelling drama that just reels in the viewer.
+1 for Messiah and The Outsider
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10836 posts
5634 upvotes
Toronto
This one is older and a bit of a guilty pleasure, but in spite of the teen intentions, I have a fondness for Kyle XY from a few years ago. I like the writing, even though it was an ABC Family show.
A mute, naked, amnesiac teenager wakes up in a forest, and is promptly arrested and put in juvenile detention when he reaches town, and is taken in by the psychologist assigned to assess him.
Her family soon begin to realize that this kid has unusual abilities.

I would give my life to protect your right to say something really funking stupid.

Respect your OP's. They don't get paid to do this, and don't have to come here to post their deals for you. They can all just hoard their deals in silence, if you prefer?
Jan 12, 2020
493 posts
768 upvotes
tvaddicto wrote: Nobody mentioned Fleabag as of yet, so I'll throw it in...two seasons now if you're looking to binge something.
Started off with bit of a WTF? for me, as it was unlike other shows we watch, but it is really, really good.
Agreed.

This Britcom is a masterpiece of post-modern dark humour - - and at around 5 hours total you can binge the entire series (2 seasons / 12 episodes) in one sitting.

Highly recommended.
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10836 posts
5634 upvotes
Toronto
denn69 wrote: Just finished season 2 of Sex Education. Love that program. Gillian Anderson is awesome in it
I didn't think that I would like this series, but it worked for me. I kept thinking who is that old woman playing the mother, and when is Gillian Anderson going to appear. Winking Face
I would give my life to protect your right to say something really funking stupid.

Respect your OP's. They don't get paid to do this, and don't have to come here to post their deals for you. They can all just hoard their deals in silence, if you prefer?
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10836 posts
5634 upvotes
Toronto
Here is another docudrama. Considering the Corona Virus mania, it is quite appropriate.

The Flu That Killed 50 Million
It shows how the Spanish Flu propagated across the world more than once, and conservatively killed 50 million people in 1918.

https://www.documentarymania.com/player ... 50+Million

Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Another update

Edit 8:
Ragnarok
Low budget but great Danish production about origins of a certain hero.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Another update

Edit 8:
Ragnarok
Low budget but great Danish production about origins of a certain hero.

Edit 9:
Interrogation
In-depth crime analysis drama.
Jan 12, 2020
493 posts
768 upvotes
I just finished bingeing all four seasons of The Expanse on Amazon Prime Video.

It's awesome!

Smart hard sci-fi with kickassedly complex storylines that don't stint on the thrills with memorable characters you care about.

If you're considering getting into it, I recommend you read as little as possible about it in advance - - enjoy the well planned storytelling.

The first three seasons make up a complete epic story. You could stop watching there and be very satisfied. This was also the time the producers contract with their original network (SYFy) ran out and it wasn't renewed. However, it was soon picked up by Amazon for a fourth season which became available in December 2019. The fourth season brings back the same characters and continues where the main story concluded. It is a separate and relatively complete freestanding story in itself, though it continues important threads from the first three seasons.

Amazon has already renewed The Expanse for season five, which is rumoured to start December 2020.

I can't wait.
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10746 posts
7905 upvotes
Global Village
carmageddon wrote: +1 for Messiah and The Outsider
The Outsider is good.
All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Update again. Netflix is killing it, again also.

Edit 10:
The Stranger
Riveting crime about a stranger that just shows up knowing your darkest secrets.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3944 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Finishing last season of Handmaid's Tale. IMHO this last is the best season yet.
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10836 posts
5634 upvotes
Toronto
denn69 wrote: Eventually watched The Witcher, and honestly don't know what all the fuss was about, pretty lame tbh with some really bad acting and special effects. Also the time line jumped about with no real direction. 5/10.
Agreed. I wasn't impressed with the pilot either.
Maybe it improved as it went, but I didn't go any further.

Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7137 upvotes
Not sure if anyone mentioned this one but I would add Oz - I think that's the best show to date. Really liked Narcos too (I think season 3 was my fav)

Some Neflix shows that I liked:
- Fauda
- The Fall
- The Killing
- House of Cards (first few seasons, last couple sucked)
- Broadchurch
- Doctor Foster
- Marcella
- Nobel
- Seven Seconds
- The Stranger

Most of these shows are foreign - seem to really like Scandinavian (particularly Norwegian) shows and movies for some reason, as well as British.

I'm going to start Trapped and Borderline soon. Anyone watch those?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3944 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Watching "The Stranger" now. This is sooooooo good!!!
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10836 posts
5634 upvotes
Toronto
Here are some vintage recs:

3rd Rock From The Sun
One of my favorite sitcoms. It still makes me laugh, after all these years. Starring John Lithgow, Kristen Johnson, French Stewart and Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Four aliens are sent to assess earth culture, by masquerading as a "normal" family.

Kung Fu
The classic 70's Eastern/Western, starring David Carradine.
A Shaolin monk, facing a death sentence in China runs to the old American west.

Defying Gravity
Only one season from about 10 years ago, but it was a unique and original idea. Starring Ron Livingston, Malik Yoba.
Set in the 2050's, it follows the crew of a 6 year interplanetary mission, flashing back through their training and the mission. Not really Sci Fi, more of a space soap opera, mystery, drama.

Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Edit 11:
The Sinner
Similarly to 'Outsider' only in terms of what the heck is going on. A freaky murder drama.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4368 upvotes
Winnipeg
tranquility922 wrote: Edit 11:
The Sinner
Similarly to 'Outsider' only in terms of what the heck is going on. A freaky murder drama.
I watched half the first season but it didn't take with me. Pullman was good but his off hour habits were a little tough to fathom.

the outsider.....dam only 1 left. Thats a show if it was bingeable you stuck for 10 hours so don't start it if your recorded it when you goto bed. Probably the best show this year and one of the best S.King adaptions done so far. Is it just me or do you hate that guys brother too. What a complete .....whats to say to do him justice!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)