Home & Garden

Best type of water softener salt to get?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2019 12:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1655 posts
245 upvotes

Best type of water softener salt to get?

i normally see windsor select plus , which looks like a natural salt, and then a windsor "system saver" for a dollar moer.

which is better?
23 replies
Mar 3, 2017
51 posts
27 upvotes
Calgary
I use the system saver, seems to be recommended pretty highly
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1655 posts
245 upvotes
chillguy153 wrote: I use the system saver, seems to be recommended pretty highly
is there much differene? is one better for the softener then the other or spending the extra dollar gets softer water?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20252 posts
8321 upvotes
Toronto
system saver II.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, Simplii
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33573 posts
7249 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
System Saver II. I buy mine at WalMart since Costco stopped selling it and switched to Sifto

It costs more for Windsor but it is worth the extra
Mar 19, 2013
696 posts
209 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
Another vote for System Saver II. It is a pellet salt which contains very little impurities versus crystal salt.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2289 posts
1635 upvotes
SW Ontario
System Saver II
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9966 posts
5250 upvotes
Paris
My plumber told me all the system saver stuff has bonding agents and will leave residue. Solar salt is what my plumbing buddies recommend and actually what was recommended in the manual of the new water softener I just installed.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2289 posts
1635 upvotes
SW Ontario
Jerico wrote: My plumber told me all the system saver stuff has bonding agents and will leave residue. Solar salt is what my plumbing buddies recommend and actually what was recommended in the manual of the new water softener I just installed.
I used to use Solar salt a number of years back, but I found that it cost a lot more, was hard to source locally, and often left a lot more contaminates in the bottom of the brine tank.

The system saver salt is pressed pelts with a resin cleaning agent. I haven't had any issues with it since switching, which makes me believe it is a sales tactic to get you to spend more.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4578 upvotes
Alberta
Sifto Crystal Plus is what I use. I usually buy it from Home Depot. Never had a single issue or any salt bridges in over 12 years.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9966 posts
5250 upvotes
Paris
Jojo_Madman wrote: I used to use Solar salt a number of years back, but I found that it cost a lot more, was hard to source locally, and often left a lot more contaminates in the bottom of the brine tank.

The system saver salt is pressed pelts with a resin cleaning agent. I haven't had any issues with it since switching, which makes me believe it is a sales tactic to get you to spend more.
Why would they care what I spent on salt from a different company? That’s like Gm getting me to buy gas from Esso.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2289 posts
1635 upvotes
SW Ontario
Jerico wrote: Why would they care what I spent on salt from a different company? That’s like Gm getting me to buy gas from Esso.
Sorry, I was meaning the sales pitch from where I was buying it which was a culligan store.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9966 posts
5250 upvotes
Paris
Jojo_Madman wrote: Sorry, I was meaning the sales pitch from where I was buying it which was a culligan store.
My local Home Hardware has it right next to the system saver stuff. They don’t care what I buy.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2289 posts
1635 upvotes
SW Ontario
Jerico wrote: Interesting that Cargill says they make solar salt by pumping into the earth then drying which is what the article above says is preferred.

https://www.cargill.com/how-are-rock-sa ... -different
LOL ... makes me wonder if they were just selling me fancy bagged rock salt now.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9966 posts
5250 upvotes
Paris
Jojo_Madman wrote: LOL ... makes me wonder if they were just selling me fancy bagged rock salt now.
Paying $12 extra dollar a year for water softener salt is a convenience tax for me to be able to think I’m better than you :)

All joking aside, whatever makes my water softener last longer in the hardest water in Ontario. Paris water, especially in February, is no joke.

Opps... Looks like Innerkip passed us. Must be like showering from a gravel truck there.
https://www.aquatell.ca/pages/water-har ... ty-ontario
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2289 posts
1635 upvotes
SW Ontario
Jerico wrote: Paying $12 extra dollar a year for water softener salt is a convenience tax for me to be able to think I’m better than you :)

All joking aside, whatever makes my water softener last longer in the hardest water in Ontario. Paris water, especially in February, is no joke.

Opps... Looks like Innerkip passed us. Must be like showering from a gravel truck there.
https://www.aquatell.ca/pages/water-har ... ty-ontario
I should try it again from another source and see if we notice a differnece in water softness.

Completely understand the water issues there, as I grew up in the area ... and still stop into Wrights for gas when in town ;)