Cell Phones

Best Unlimited Mins/Text Plan for Senior?

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2020 11:47 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 23, 2013
1481 posts
820 upvotes
Toronto

Best Unlimited Mins/Text Plan for Senior?

Hello Folks,

I am looking to get my mom a phone line as she would strictly need it for Canada Wide and for some texts. Primarily be using Viber on her phone line.

I was currently looking at the Freedom Pay as you go $99 Unlimited Mins/Text a year, but have seen poor reviews when it comes to service.

Hoping someone can direct me to a plan that fits my needs at the cheapest rate possible.

Thanks,

Bleachway
16 replies
Jr. Member
Apr 19, 2014
148 posts
147 upvotes
Markham, ON
Viber uses data.
Are they going to use WIFI for Viber, or cellular data?
If it's WIFI, the best plan is probably Public Mobile $23/mo for unlimited Canada wide calling and unlimited global texting.
I imagine they probably won't need unlimited calling.
The $13/mo plan comes with unlimited incoming calls, 100 outgoing Canada-wide mins and unlimited global texting.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 23, 2013
1481 posts
820 upvotes
Toronto
ThiruIO wrote: Viber uses data.
Are they going to use WIFI for Viber, or cellular data?
If it's WIFI, the best plan is probably Public Mobile $23/mo for unlimited Canada wide calling and unlimited global texting.
I imagine they probably won't need unlimited calling.
The $13/mo plan comes with unlimited incoming calls, 100 outgoing Canada-wide mins and unlimited global texting.
Primarily Wifi use for Viber so I am not in need of a data plan. I will take a look at the Public Mobile Plan.

Thanks
Jr. Member
User avatar
Aug 30, 2012
131 posts
51 upvotes
Freedom does have poor service but it depends what area you live in so you may want to test out how good service is for your mom 's area> buy a month's worth of of service and have mom use phone(don't t port in any number)If satisfactory then buy the yearly plan which would work out to less than $9 a month.Go online and ask them to waive any activation fee and sim card cost(will mail sim card out) .
Also https://canadiancellsupplies.com/collections/sim-cards selling freedom sim cards for $1.99 with free shipping or pick up
Sr. Member
Oct 1, 2009
545 posts
236 upvotes
West coast
If you're on shaw internet, then get the $0 unlimited talk and text. $20 for their bogus set up fee but that's it.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1224 posts
1237 upvotes
Markham, ON
doradxplorer wrote: If you're on shaw internet, then get the $0 unlimited talk and text. $20 for their bogus set up fee but that's it.
OP is in TO, so I'm guessing the parents might be in the east (Rogers country).

Public Mobile is the way to go with their $15/mo plan ($2 off with auto pay) for your situation.
FIDO, Freedom Mobile, Koodo, Public Mobile, TELUS customer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 23, 2013
1481 posts
820 upvotes
Toronto
peasy9 wrote: Freedom does have poor service but it depends what area you live in so you may want to test out how good service is for your mom 's area> buy a month's worth of of service and have mom use phone(don't t port in any number)If satisfactory then buy the yearly plan which would work out to less than $9 a month.Go online and ask them to waive any activation fee and sim card cost(will mail sim card out) .
Also https://canadiancellsupplies.com/collections/sim-cards selling freedom sim cards for $1.99 with free shipping or pick up
Damn, I had ordered a SIM card shortly after the first post so was unaware of a Sim Card for $1.99... Paid $11
at87on wrote:
OP is in TO, so I'm guessing the parents might be in the east (Rogers country).

Public Mobile is the way to go with their $15/mo plan ($2 off with auto pay) for your situation.
Yes, I have ordered a SIM card already from Public Mobile on the $15/Month plan. Waiting on it to arrive so I can activate it.
Last edited by Sanforized on Dec 22nd, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: A post you are quoting has been deleted
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
8231 posts
1963 upvotes
Toronto
PM $15 plan is best option, IME. I am paying $11 a month (15 -2 autopay - 1 loyalty - 1 referral) and only occasionally come close to using my monthly data allowance (usually when travelling and using Waze).
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 13, 2006
3729 posts
3410 upvotes
Muskoka
With PublicMobile $15 plan, you can also buy a $5 Cda talk add-on that will give you an extra 500mins in case you run out of your 100min monthly allotment. The 500mins stays on you account forever until you deplete the minutes, and it will start to get used if your 100mins runs out.

And currently, until Dec31, there is a free 500min LD add-on you can 'buy' that works the same as the above $5 add-on except it also includes a whole bunch of other countries including USA. In addition to that, you can also get a free one time 2GB data add-on.
Public Mobile
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
8231 posts
1963 upvotes
Toronto
Also re PM, they give gifts of minutes and data to their customers every so often. These have no time limits.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Mar 11, 2011
887 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto
If she is using the phone from home with a wifi connection, then she doesn't need any plan in order to use Viber. Just provide her with a cheap phone. No cell plan needed.

She could also use Fongo to make calls to any phone number in Canada for free.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1124 posts
1446 upvotes
Mississauga
Go with the Freedom mobile you were looking at initially.
The key thing to look out for is VoLTE/VoWiFi. Are they likely to spend most of their time indoors? Then setup VoWiFi on the home WiFi, reception would no longer be an issue.
Member
Feb 27, 2007
429 posts
179 upvotes
Montreal
Bleachway wrote: Yes, I have ordered a SIM card already from Public Mobile on the $15/Month plan. Waiting on it to arrive so I can activate it.
Have you received and activated account yet?

If not, go https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/boxingweek and register your email ASAP. This Boxing Week Promotion may end ANYTIME now, giving:
- 2nd month free, and
- 5GB data, ADDON that stay in your account and never expire till used.
Details: https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... m-p/631821

Use a referral code during activation will get u extra $10 referral bonus.

Please keep us posted on your progress. Welcome to Public and Happy Holidays to all!
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 23, 2013
1481 posts
820 upvotes
Toronto
spots01 wrote: With PublicMobile $15 plan, you can also buy a $5 Cda talk add-on that will give you an extra 500mins in case you run out of your 100min monthly allotment. The 500mins stays on you account forever until you deplete the minutes, and it will start to get used if your 100mins runs out.

And currently, until Dec31, there is a free 500min LD add-on you can 'buy' that works the same as the above $5 add-on except it also includes a whole bunch of other countries including USA. In addition to that, you can also get a free one time 2GB data add-on.
Oh interesting, good to know. Is that $5 add on a one time payment or a reoccurring monthly add on?
46jimbo wrote: If she is using the phone from home with a wifi connection, then she doesn't need any plan in order to use Viber. Just provide her with a cheap phone. No cell plan needed.

She could also use Fongo to make calls to any phone number in Canada for free.
I was under under the impression you need a mobile number to register on Viber? Nonetheless I did want her to have a phone so I could call to check in and whatnot.
MontrealPost wrote: Have you received and activated account yet?

If not, go https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/boxingweek and register your email ASAP. This Boxing Week Promotion may end ANYTIME now, giving:
- 2nd month free, and
- 5GB data, ADDON that stay in your account and never expire till used.
Details: https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... m-p/631821

Use a referral code during activation will get u extra $10 referral bonus.

Please keep us posted on your progress. Welcome to Public and Happy Holidays to all!
I am still waiting on my SIM card to arrive. I had signed up prior to Boxing Day where they had the second month free promo. I will check this out later today. Appreciate it.
Member
Feb 27, 2007
429 posts
179 upvotes
Montreal
Bleachway wrote: I am still waiting on my SIM card to arrive. I had signed up prior to Boxing Day where they had the second month free promo. I will check this out later today. Appreciate it.
Per the link DETAILS I gave u:
- re-register your email under Black Friday deal,
- previous deal (Dec. 18-21 -2nd month free, where u REGISTERED) is valid for activation on/before 8/1/2021, if u activate during this period, u will only get this promotion. However if activate after 8/1/2021, u will get the Black Friday deal (if u re-register your email, ASAP(=now) before the deal is gone).
- OR register under Black Friday deal with a different eMail address, and use this new email for activation.

@spots01 was telling u the Holiday Giveaways (offer to all new and existing Public client on/before 31/12/2020):
- 500 Long Distance Minutes ADDON (~$15 value)
- 2GB ADDON ($30 value), and
- Contest for $10000 Amazon Gift Card.
ADDONS never expire, stay in your account till used up. Details: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/holiday

If u do activate by 31/12/2020, create a separate Public Mobile community account using same email and enter Community Contest at https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... m-p/628513

The $5/500 Canada-minute is an ADDON, stay in your account till used up. One time payment/non-recurring, u buy ADDON(s) whenever u want.

Hope u'll receive SIM before 31/12 and get both deals. Don't forget to use a referral code during activation to get extra $10 referral bonus. Welcome to Public!
Member
Feb 27, 2007
429 posts
179 upvotes
Montreal
Bleachway wrote: I am still waiting on my SIM card to arrive. I had signed up prior to Boxing Day where they had the second month free promo. I will check this out later today. Appreciate it.
In case u still have not received SIM by now or tomorrow and want to take advantage of all the existing promotions, u may order from the following:

https://cmobile.ca/collections/all-products

U pay the above retailer via eTransfer. Upon receipt of funds, they will activate the SIM and post it to u. Great reviews and comments in Public Community. I've ordered from them before, great and reliable service.

Note:
- Register your email for Boxing Day promote on PM website, and
- Remind retailer to "purchase (free Holiday Giveaway) ADDON" and give your referral code in the eTransfer message.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1846 posts
1359 upvotes
GTA West
Bleachway wrote: Hello Folks,

I am looking to get my mom a phone line as she would strictly need it for Canada Wide and for some texts. Primarily be using Viber on her phone line.

I was currently looking at the Freedom Pay as you go $99 Unlimited Mins/Text a year, but have seen poor reviews when it comes to service.

Hoping someone can direct me to a plan that fits my needs at the cheapest rate possible.

Thanks,

Bleachway
I have a phone on this plan for a senior I support and the service has been excellent for voice and text. It is pretty much the best deal out there for this kind of user. If you are in the GTA or other urban area supported by Freedom you should have good coverage. If you travel to more remote areas, Freedom doesn't have the same coverage as the big guys and some of their frequencies are not compatible with every phone out there. If you are in such an area, you will need to check the coverage maps and try the service before you commit to a long term.

Top