• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2017 7:00 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 9, 2017
2 posts

Best used SUV for <15000 CAD

Hi friends,

I am looking to buy a used SUV. While CRV and Rav4 are the best options here, they are also the most expensive. Therefore I can get a robust and reliable suv with less features and more expensive insurance.

I also see Tiguan and CX5 as attractive options but do not have much information about their reliability and maintenance cost over time. But they are best value for money as compared to the above two (CRV+Rav4).

Wanted your advice for a budget not exceeding 15000CAD.

Thanks,
Dev
25 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5746 posts
1983 upvotes
Space
I’d definitely go with the Tiguan or CX5. The other two are boring IMO. They’re all fairly reliable, as long as you take care of it.
[OP]
Jul 9, 2017
2 posts
Hi thanks for your reply. Any information about their maintenance? Availability and costs of spare parts etc? For examples, Toyota spare parts are available everywhere and not that expensive too.
Dec 16, 2014
902 posts
489 upvotes
Easter Island
Solsearchin1 wrote: I’d definitely go with the Tiguan .The other two are boring IMO. They’re all fairly reliable, as long as you take care of it.
hell no, stay away from tiguan.
crv and rav4 tend to be most reliable with least cost of ownership
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5746 posts
1983 upvotes
Space
Check reviews from owners. They’re all reliable as long as you maintain them. I’ve learned that every car has its weak spots, no single vehicle is ever perfect. Check out Rockauto to get an idea on parts costs on all vehicles you’re interested in. Before doing all this research, you should test drive them all. Pick the top two you like the most and go from there.

AtchadevB096381 wrote: Hi thanks for your reply. Any information about their maintenance? Availability and costs of spare parts etc? For examples, Toyota spare parts are available everywhere and not that expensive too.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21191 posts
10651 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
It’s a case of pay me now or pay me later

Rav and crv have a history of being more reliable, hence they hold their value better

The tiguan and vw in general tend of have less of a history of reliability so it’ll be a lower cost to purchase but maintenance and repair will most likely be higher.

Tiguan is less boring than the Japanese offerings but riskier with the potential for increased repair costs. Just get the Tiguan and set aside some money for repairs should you ever need it.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2747 posts
2083 upvotes
Markham
Between the two you're asking about, first off both are actually good, the Tiguan surprisingly improved a lot since the earliest 2009-2011s. The Mazda is the more economical choice. It will have the better fuel economy regardless of engine choice and its good to drive, for a CUV. The Tiguan also has good handling characteristics combined with a pretty powerful 2.0L turbo. If you want one of the fastest vehicles in the class the Tiguan wins easily. The price for that performance however will come from fuel expense since even on a good day the Tiguan is still thirsty. Apparently to maximize fuel economy and power it will need premium, it can run on regular but apparently VW claims it won't reach good fuel economy this way. I'd also say the Tiguan is well built.

Still, if you're attempting to buy with sense, the Mazda has good reliability, relatively low running costs, handles pretty good and it sold in good numbers especially compared to the Tiguan. What's bad about the Mazda? Its not the most refined vehicle with slightly harsh ride and noise being the prime complaints which seemed to be addressed in the newest model. The Mazda infotainment system takes getting used to as well, tolerable but there are far more intuitive systems for example tuning the stereo...slightly more complicated than stereos of the past but not as aggravating as the Mercedes infotainment(I still have no idea how to use it).
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2759 posts
1988 upvotes
GX470 or 4runner
Smash that like button!
Jan 27, 2013
168 posts
54 upvotes
I would recommend a Hyundai. They can be had for cheaper and I consider them to be reliable, based on personal experience.
Dec 1, 2014
214 posts
196 upvotes
Burlington, ON
What about Toyota Venza?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2759 posts
1988 upvotes
AtchadevB096381 wrote: Hi friends,

I am looking to buy a used SUV. While CRV and Rav4 are the best options here, they are also the most expensive. Therefore I can get a robust and reliable suv with less features and more expensive insurance.

I also see Tiguan and CX5 as attractive options but do not have much information about their reliability and maintenance cost over time. But they are best value for money as compared to the above two (CRV+Rav4).

Wanted your advice for a budget not exceeding 15000CAD.

Thanks,
Dev
You really need to expand your criteria as someone downvoted me????
Price (under 15k)
Age?
Asian, domestic, euro?
4,6,8 cylinder?
awd/4x4, fwd, rwd?
Smash that like button!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5592 posts
1454 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Old Cayenne, ML350, or X5 for Euro. Reliability is a luck of the draw and how the last person took care of it. If he/she kept up with maintenance and didn't beat on it, it should last a long time. Many X5s and Cayenne variants cruising around here with 200,000km+. They are very popular winter "beaters" here in the harsh Alberta winters. Aside from pickup trucks and some Ford Escapes, they are some the most common old SUVs still on the road. Saw one Cayenne Turbo with 317,000km, LOL. But turbos have more parts to worry about.

For Japanese, RAV4s and 4Runners are reliable and hold value. But like you said, because of that, they are extremely expensive to buy on the used market.
Accountant, Consultant, & Industrial Operator/Trucker
  • Oilfield & Industrial Services, Environmental Services
  • Road Construction
  • Transportation & Logistics
  • Tax & Financial Analysis
  • In the Western Canadian Oilfield since 2013
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3717 posts
5284 upvotes
Canada
I have a 2010 Venza V6, it is fast, reliable and slightly more car-like. Also tows 3500lb. Other suggestions in this thread are good too.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3511 posts
2279 upvotes
Montreal
Venza is more like a mid-sized minivan, even toyota didn't want to call it SUV when it came out. :D
Apr 18, 2011
373 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder why nobody says anything about the Toyota Highlander.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5712 posts
2933 upvotes
Winnipeg
BeapChastard wrote: Hyundai Santa Fe or Kia Sorrento
+1
Zoomer Wireless | Public Mobile | Simplii | Tangerine | CIBC
Jul 12, 2017
22 posts
23 upvotes
Thanks all for the input. I personally prefer Japanese cars because of their reliability n cheap maintenance cost. I am used to original Japanese or Singaporean versions since these were the models available in my country. Here there are much more models and trims. More choices = more difficulties.

I am 35 yrs old with 10 yes of driving experience in my home country. Came to Canada this year only and looking to buy my first car. We are a small family of 3 for now and planning for a 2nd child. I never drove an AWD! 4/6 cylinders are ok for me. Zero knowledge of North American cars.