Home & Garden

Best value for BBQ to take a beating?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2020 10:37 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
3433 posts
2567 upvotes

Best value for BBQ to take a beating?

Hi all, I need a new BBQ for a cottage rental. After 1 year of renting, it's clear that rental guests abuse the bbq (signs of overheating, extreme amounts of grease from nonstop burgers, water/rust issues, etc.). What brand/model BBQ is a good value to take such a beating like this? Personally I'm thinking both Weber and Napoleon are overkill, rather get one of the "cheaper" brands that could hopefully put out 5 years of abuse. It needs to have ZERO bells and whistles, just a long lasting grill and parts that can take the extra wear and tear.

Suggestions?
11 replies
Newbie
Oct 1, 2018
31 posts
10 upvotes
You want this guy

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/broil- ... 1000136464

These are the Toyota Corollas of propane BBQs. There is a few different brands that use the same tooling/plant, but you are looking for that cast iron dome. They take a beating. Highly recommended and if you look at rentals in Wasaga this is the most popular one.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22823 posts
21656 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Oneillfarms wrote: You want this guy

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/broil- ... 1000136464

These are the Toyota Corollas of propane BBQs. There is a few different brands that use the same tooling/plant, but you are looking for that cast iron dome. They take a beating. Highly recommended and if you look at rentals in Wasaga this is the most popular one.
This

Cheap BBQs just don’t last well.
Always less than 5 years ... 3+ if one is lucky

As this is a rental property, don’t feel you got to try and provide something of quality
Or that might last more than a season or two with Renters Abuse

So be it.
Accept it
As a cost of having an annual rental
AND BEING KIND ENOUGH TO PROVIDE ANY BBQ GRILL AT ALL

Go cheap ... then call it a day
Until next year

PS ... truth is doesn’t matter how good a thing you provide
The renters are still gonna beat it up
So don’t waste your time
Member
Oct 27, 2012
384 posts
345 upvotes
Shwa
Just provide a weber charcoal bbq. They last forever and your tenants will be too lazy to use it Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6686 posts
6664 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: This

Cheap BBQs just don’t last well.
Always less than 5 years ... 3+ if one is lucky

As this is a rental property, don’t feel you got to try and provide something of quality
Or that might last more than a season or two with Renters Abuse

So be it.
Accept it
As a cost of having an annual rental
AND BEING KIND ENOUGH TO PROVIDE ANY BBQ GRILL AT ALL

Go cheap ... then call it a day
Until next year

PS ... truth is doesn’t matter how good a thing you provide
The renters are still gonna beat it up
So don’t waste your time
My 6 year old Sterling begs to differ! We've cleaned it twice in that time, and it just sits outside all year long uncovered

Sterling is made in Canada in the same factory as Broil Mate and Broil King and I can't think of a better budget BBQ

I got mine on clearance for $150... Looks like it is now $350 regular price https://www.lowes.ca/product/gas-bbqs/s ... art-821377?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19456 posts
22578 upvotes
GTA
PointsHubby wrote: This

Cheap BBQs just don’t last well.
Always less than 5 years ... 3+ if one is lucky

As this is a rental property, don’t feel you got to try and provide something of quality
Or that might last more than a season or two with Renters Abuse

So be it.
Accept it
As a cost of having an annual rental
AND BEING KIND ENOUGH TO PROVIDE ANY BBQ GRILL AT ALL

Go cheap ... then call it a day
Until next year

PS ... truth is doesn’t matter how good a thing you provide
The renters are still gonna beat it up
So don’t waste your time
I don't know who would rent a cottage without a BBQ. I know I wouldn't. Maybe vegans?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20531 posts
13921 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I wouldn't buy a new BBQ for a rental. I would buy a used one for a fraction of the price and be prepared to replace/repair annually. It's a waste of time getting a new BBQ when a good used one will do just fine.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
18011 posts
12717 upvotes
Markham
Since this is a rental...perhaps you have to add to the changeover duties, cleanup (wipedown, dump/check the oil drip tray etc) the BBQ. In reality, renters will use the grill quite a bit but in some cases I don't think it gets used anymore necessarily vs what other ppl use their own. The key is to take care of it and cover it/wipe it down.

Not sure what you mean by overheating, you turn it on and you use it...not like the tenants can turn it on any higher than the preset "high".

The quality of the BBQ is dependent on how much you're renting for. The higher the rent, the higher the expectation of better BBQ. BTW ppl will pay for better equipment/amenities - it's a selling feature.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
3433 posts
2567 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Since this is a rental...perhaps you have to add to the changeover duties, cleanup (wipedown, dump/check the oil drip tray etc) the BBQ. In reality, renters will use the grill quite a bit but in some cases I don't think it gets used anymore necessarily vs what other ppl use their own. The key is to take care of it and cover it/wipe it down.

Not sure what you mean by overheating, you turn it on and you use it...not like the tenants can turn it on any higher than the preset "high".

The quality of the BBQ is dependent on how much you're renting for. The higher the rent, the higher the expectation of better BBQ. BTW ppl will pay for better equipment/amenities - it's a selling feature.
The temp gauge was shattered/broken and the inside of the lid was blackened prematurely. Either they had a major, unattended grease fire or they kept it preheating for hours on end (it's connected to a 15-foot propane tank).
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
18011 posts
12717 upvotes
Markham
razrsharp wrote: The temp gauge was shattered/broken and the inside of the lid was blackened prematurely. Either they had a major, unattended grease fire or they kept it preheating for hours on end (it's connected to a 15-foot propane tank).
It's not a long preheating problem.

Grease fire is what that is. All grease fires are major. That's why part of the "cleanup" on changeover should be to check/empty the oil tray and reline the bottom of the grill with new heavy duty foil...because one renter could be cooking several fatty foods and then next one comes in and it snowballs to overflowing. Grease fires happen to regular ppl as well, not only renters. Some BBQs are better at not igniting.

The temp gauge shattering was likely they threw water on the grease fire. If you don't have them, you should consider having a fire extinguisher (several in the cottage). Again part of your changeover checklist is to make sure they steal it at the end of rental.

Consider getting some GrillGrates (around $100 for a BBQ) and replacing the grates on the cheap grill, I find they cook much better and I don't get grease flare ups like with regular grates. Your guests will leave and they'll ask you where you got your GrillGrates.

We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
3433 posts
2567 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: It's not a long preheating problem.

Grease fire is what that is. All grease fires are major. That's why part of the "cleanup" on changeover should be to check/empty the oil tray and reline the bottom of the grill with new heavy duty foil...because one renter could be cooking several fatty foods and then next one comes in and it snowballs to overflowing. Grease fires happen to regular ppl as well, not only renters. Some BBQs are better at not igniting.

The temp gauge shattering was likely they threw water on the grease fire. If you don't have them, you should consider having a fire extinguisher (several in the cottage). Again part of your changeover checklist is to make sure they steal it at the end of rental.

Consider getting some GrillGrates (around $100 for a BBQ) and replacing the grates on the cheap grill, I find they cook much better and I don't get grease flare ups like with regular grates. Your guests will leave and they'll ask you where you got your GrillGrates.

We have extinguishers everywhere, I just doubt a renter would wanna spoil their dinner. Good tip on the GrillGrates, will definitely consider them on the next grill. Where exactly do you place the foil on your grill? I assume under the burners?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
18011 posts
12717 upvotes
Markham
razrsharp wrote: We have extinguishers everywhere, I just doubt a renter would wanna spoil their dinner. Good tip on the GrillGrates, will definitely consider them on the next grill. Where exactly do you place the foil on your grill? I assume under the burners?
Line the bottom of the grill and the drip tray/grease tray...you can just pull it up and wrap up the mess and reline every week or two. Beats scraping IMO.

We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)