• Sep 16th, 2016 3:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
1938 posts
507 upvotes
Ottawa

Best value LCBO/SAQ red wine ~$50?

I don't know anything about wine and I am looking to buy a nice bottle of wine as a gift for someone. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a bottle that costs about ~$50? I could also buy two bottles for around ~$25 is that's better value?

I live in Ottawa so I could go to the SAQ or LCBO.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3766 posts
882 upvotes
Toronto
So much depends on the person and his/her tastes. You may well receive several recommendations, but whether it is to the taste of the people receiving the wine is another matter.

It would be helpful if you happened to know whether the people prefer white or red, extra dry or "sweeter". Personally I only drink full bodied extra dry Italian red wines - I hate white wines. My husband likes both as well as wines from other countries, as well as Italian wines that I do not care for.

I found the consultants (Vintages area in basement) at the big wine store down the street from the Rideau Centre (pass the Metro store) to be very helpful when buying wine to take to the relatives for holiday dinners.

Just remember that price does not always equal quality. A $10 wine won the taste competition in Toronto - over a $100 bottle of wine.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5016 posts
553 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
My cellar is mostly Australian cab or shiraz, in the $30 range. They are unforgiving when young but very mellow after 10 years . Penfold is very reliable. New Zealand or Oz whites in the $30 range are very rewarding, and can be opened right away. Hill of Grace riesling is maybe the best, but pricey.

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7444 posts
2501 upvotes
This would be my choice, classic region, very popular varietal, well-known winery and a nice Parker score. And available in Ottawa.

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/bering ... 8YWfjXp93E

Beringer Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2013
Cabernet Sauvignon
—VINTAGES#: 91058 | 750 mL bottle

Beringer Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2013
Style - Full-bodied & Firm

The 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa is 87% Cabernet Sauvignon and the rest Cabernet Franc, Merlot and Petit Verdot. This wine is also outstanding and shows that a good wine with a relatively large production can be achieved. Rich black and red currant notes, charcoal, graphite and spice box are all present in this deep ruby/purple wine that is rich, pure and best drunk over the next 12-15 years. Score - 90. (Robert Parker Jr., robertparker.com, March 2016)

$49.95

OTTAWA-KANATA

457 HAZELDEAN RD.

UNIT 10

613-592-5416

OTTAWA

953 BANK STREET

613-238-5614

OTTAWA

275 RIDEAU STREET

CORNER OF KING EDWARD AND RIDEAU ST

613-789-5226

Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36265 posts
10486 upvotes
Ottawa
I am partial to Italian wines and my go to special wines would be a Barolo. Considered by many to be the best wine from Italy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barolo
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/search?searchTerm=barolo

As to where to get it, I live in Ottawa and worked in Gatineau for some time and I found many wines I liked to be more expensive at the SAQ. They have a much larger selection of French wines though.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
154 upvotes
Wood Bridge
you can buy a nice bottle of italian red wine, for $20 bucks or less, why spend 50 bux? italian wine is regarded as very good in the world, its high in demand, and the cost is great too.
Thanks

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)