• Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2020 2:20 pm
[OP]
Nov 10, 2014
54 posts
10 upvotes
Windsor, ON

Best Value New Washer and Dryer Machines

Hi, I am searching for a new washer and Dryer. Top load. Does anyone know of any washers that still have the Lo, Med, Hi water settings? Because based on my initial research they only have auto sensing washers now.
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5374 posts
2373 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Has to be an old-school top loader (and non-HE if that matters to you). HD has a couple of GEs for under $600. You might be able to get a working one free from someone upgrading to HE if you can haul it away.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2515 posts
2115 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
I think this is what you want. I wouldn't worry about lower price = lower quality as most appliances these days are built to break. If anything a more basic washer like this one will probably last longer than a high efficiency one since there's less going on that can break (the design of the washer is simpler, poorly printed circuit boards are usually the cause of most appliance failures nowadays).

Also this may be preference but I think traditional (low efficiency?) top loading washers work better than their high efficiency equivalents. My parents have a top loading Kenmore washer (which we got from the Sears death party) and while it works fine I just don't like how it cleans my clothes. It uses much less water than traditional washers which makes washing debris off much more difficult. When I wash my clothes at the laundromat the traditional washers do a better job in less time to boot!
DUCA credit union member
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15203 posts
12364 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
thriftshopper wrote: Has to be an old-school top loader (and non-HE if that matters to you). HD has a couple of GEs for under $600. You might be able to get a working one free from someone upgrading to HE if you can haul it away.
This

HE Top Loaders tend to not have centre agitators, and use less water. The water feed is automatic depending on which program you choose. The override is to use whatever the name is for an oversized load (on my Maytag HE it is called BULKY)

When I select BULKY I get a good old fashioned full tub of water

Alternatively, I could select another program, hit PAUSE, open the lid, and add more water manually ... like a jug or a whole bucket full. Then close the lid, and hit RESUME / START again.

It’s a good measure sometimes if say I am washing one pair of jeans, or overalls ... that are pretty dirty. The extra water is less than a full tub full (BULKY) but definitely aids in the washing / cleaning process

Non HE Top Loaders are the cheapest washers out there. The preselects are based on load size = amount of water ... Small, Medium, Large.

Nothing wrong with these machines. They still work well. Most people quit them solely cuz of the energy / water savings that HE Washers offer (be they HE Front Loaders or Top Loaders)

Non HE Top Loaders you can use regular detergent in them or HE (if HE you’ll need tons less).
Regular Detergent costs less ... but is getting increasingly harder to find.
And if you use HE, you’ll want to be sure and do a 30 Day or 30 Loads Machine Clean regularly (with a product like Affresh) so as to keep the inners clean and no soap scum build up (which HE Detergents seem to be prone to)

* Personally we have a HE Top Loader ... and get to enjoy the best of both technologies
For all the issues with front loaders ... I would NEVER buy one (at least as they are now = current generation)
Oct 7, 2013
535 posts
262 upvotes
truepatriotlove wrote: Hi, I am searching for a new washer and Dryer. Top load. Does anyone know of any washers that still have the Lo, Med, Hi water settings? Because based on my initial research they only have auto sensing washers now.

During your search I would suggest you investigate the Speed Queen brand. I was listening recently to a 40 year appliance repair man who has a weekly radio show stateside.

A caller asked him the very same question you are posing & without hesitation he nominated Speed Queen.

FYI
Oct 18, 2019
190 posts
87 upvotes
GTA West
With all the water Canada has water should never be a problem, these new crappy washers use less water but yet use more hydro, and in the end, after using these crappy HE washers they still don't clean your clothes. There was nothing wrong with the old traditional styles
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5374 posts
2373 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Sonofman wrote: With all the water Canada has water should never be a problem, these new crappy washers use less water but yet use more hydro, and in the end, after using these crappy HE washers they still don't clean your clothes. There was nothing wrong with the old traditional styles
New HE washers will use less energy net if you're using hot/warm water. Costs to heat water and that's where most of the energy cost is.

The high spin speeds (~1,200 RPM and up vs. 800 RPM) means your clothes come out much drier so takes less time (and hence energy) to dry in the dryer, unless you're hang/line drying.

p.s. some of us have to pay for water usage (yeah, metered).
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5374 posts
2373 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
unclefester wrote: During your search I would suggest you investigate the Speed Queen brand. I was listening recently to a 40 year appliance repair man who has a weekly radio show stateside.
Speed Queen changed the basic design in the past 2-3 years. A lot of people aren't happy.

https://www.consumerreports.org/top-loa ... er-review/
Last edited by thriftshopper on Nov 3rd, 2020 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15203 posts
12364 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
thriftshopper wrote: Speed Queen change the basic design in the past 2-3 years. A lot of people aren't happy.

https://www.consumerreports.org/top-loa ... er-review/
Lol, maybe that’s why the Repairman was endorsing Speed Queen
They’ve become a bigger piece of his biz / income lately
As their quality has decreased
He’s investing in his future ... thru guaranteeing more work
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
5960 posts
1620 upvotes
Anyone experience with these suites?
https://www.brandsource.ca/en/product/4 ... ud27esmmww

I need to stack regardless as it's for a small cabin. Size wise seems decent and price is a few hundred less than the normal front load washer dryer pairs. Not going to use it a ton but want something reliable as cabin is three hours away.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15203 posts
12364 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
baz5 wrote: Anyone experience with these suites?
https://www.brandsource.ca/en/product/4 ... ud27esmmww

I need to stack regardless as it's for a small cabin. Size wise seems decent and price is a few hundred less than the normal front load washer dryer pairs. Not going to use it a ton but want something reliable as cabin is three hours away.
These are in several condos we visit annually (ski, golf, beach houses)
They work great.

They use traditional washer technology (Ie Agitator & Regular Detergent ... you select the water level, temp & agitation ... such as Delicate Cycle)
They do slightly smaller loads than a full size washer
(Example ... can do a single load of a King Sheet Set ... but we find we get best results by doing fitted separately, and then flat + pillowcases)

The dryer works like a regular dryer
So overall things wash & dry well
Just as I say, smaller loads for best results

If I was to buy a vacation home
I would have no qualms Buying & installing such a set

EDIT - If memory serves, the ones we’ve encountered have all been NA Made ... either GE or Whirlpool

They also work best like other Dryers, If they outside vented vs an interior set up
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
5960 posts
1620 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: These are in several condos we visit annually (ski, golf, beach houses)
They work great.

They use traditional washer technology (Ie Agitator & Regular Detergent ... you select the water level, temp & agitation ... such as Delicate Cycle)
They do slightly smaller loads than a full size washer
(Example ... can do a single load of a King Sheet Set ... but we find we get best results by doing fitted separately, and then flat + pillowcases)

The dryer works like a regular dryer
So overall things wash & dry well
Just as I say, smaller loads for best results

If I was to buy a vacation home
I would have no qualms Buying & installing such a set

EDIT - If memory serves, the ones we’ve encountered have all been NA Made ... either GE or Whirlpool

They also work best like other Dryers, If they outside vented vs an interior set up
Thanks. I guess biggest concern is washer size and doing the bedding like you mentioned.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15203 posts
12364 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
baz5 wrote: Thanks. I guess biggest concern is washer size and doing the bedding like you mentioned.
A lot of condos we stay in, are associated with a Hotel or Hotel Housekeeping / Linen Service
So they just haul the bedding & towels offsite somewhere to bigger commercial laundry machines
So it’s THEIR issue not ours

It’s just when we are at the beach rentals, that we have to do our own housekeeping during our stay
And then, with sheets it’s just a once a week issue

In all rentals we do use these stackable units to do our regular laundry
That can range from light loads (including delicates)
Up to regular clothing
To things a bit heavier ... like winter ski wear (Kids snow pants)

Never had a problem

I’d say even though stackable W&Ds are now available in Front Loaders
The majority (90% +) of places we go to have these traditional machines
My guess is because ... they are easy to use for the renter, cheaper, a smaller footprint, and more reliable / less maintenance vs front loaders
(HE Front Loaders absolutely requiring a 30 Day / 30 Load Deep Clean )